Aging Kluson Buttons

Kody

Reaction score
Looking for tips on this. I’ve seen a few suggestions like soaking them in tea,coffee and things like that. Using brown shoe polish ect. What have you guys had the most success with?

goldtop0

Reaction score
You can always 'yellow/brown' them using Shellac flakes dissolved in methylated spirits.
To get the colour you want depends on how many times you apply the mix to the buttons........I do this with the switch tips on my gibsons.

Last edited:

Airplane

Reaction score
i made a mixture once made of some brownish liquor, a lot of coffe and shoe polish. left it in there for two days. the suckers swelled up like balloons! yikes! not sure which ingredient was responsible for that but the mixture is not recommended.

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you're talking about knobs, like volume and tone knobs, you can try the Mohawk inks. Those dyes will stick to anything, even dull or shinty plastics.

If you're talking about Kluson Tuners, you can try the old Radio Shack "revealing solution" for PCB cars. Wild huh? you can use that to add an instant relic to any NICKEL based product.

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i made a mixture once made of some brownish liquor, a lot of coffe and shoe polish. left it in there for two days. the suckers swelled up like balloons! yikes! not sure which ingredient was responsible for that but the mixture is not recommended.

I tried the old coffee and tea solution. It made a mess out of the plastics, didn't create a permanent solution.

I also tried water soluble aniline dyes, no luck on plastics. That Mohawk dye works, I don't now what it is and Im not endorsing their products, but they work and they stick to plastics like there's no tomorrow!

calieng

Reaction score
Lacquer markers from Stewmac. Use a little amber and tobacco to get the colors you like. Not too much just a light tint.

Latest Threads