Aging a New Les Paul Junior

judson

Reaction score
i will straddle the fence on this one as the pic below is a relic owned by an MLP member and it has to be one of the best looking guitars i have seen on this forum.....this was a done by a known professional that does great work as shown.

the opposite side is someone that mutilates a guitar into a hidious abortion, thinking you just beat the hell out of it and its a perfect relic....

and honestly you own it, do with it what you please.....but dont just drag it behind your pickup truck on a chain :facepalm:

here is a relic beauty and the owner can send me a pm if they want it removed ...but dam it is a beauty.

:wow:

mrfett2.jpg

Last edited:

nortally

Reaction score
Buy a Guild S60-D just before going off to college. Make sure it's in the room for the next 4 years while you chain smoke, do bong hits, drop acid, drink and hang out. Put a bunch of punk rock stickers on it. Set it on the floor with the back of the neck leaning against a sharp table edge. One day for no reason, decide to upgrade the pickups to Seymour Duncans. Install them even though they don't quite fit -- that's what files are made for. This is your first time soldering anything since Metal Shop in middle school, but how hard can it be? Do your best. Quit playing for a couple of years and sell it to a friend for pretty cheap. Regret that for the rest of your life.

BoogyWithStu

Reaction score
If you are looking for a VOS type look... Get some 4000 rated wet and dry sand paper and use it all over the guitar. This will only take a very small amount of gloss off without doing any harm. Basically, will give it less of a shiny new gloss look.

To age the hardware try soaking it in vinegar for a week.

Hope that helps.

pblanton

Reaction score
Buy a Guild S60-D just before going off to college. Make sure it's in the room for the next 4 years while you chain smoke, do bong hits, drop acid, drink and hang out. Put a bunch of punk rock stickers on it. Set it on the floor with the back of the neck leaning against a sharp table edge. One day for no reason, decide to upgrade the pickups to Seymour Duncans. Install them even though they don't quite fit -- that's what files are made for. This is your first time soldering anything since Metal Shop in middle school, but how hard can it be? Do your best. Quit playing for a couple of years and sell it to a friend for pretty cheap. Regret that for the rest of your life.
That seems oddly specific.

Thundermtn

Reaction score

That seems oddly specific.
Never sell guitars

Elmore

Reaction score
I have aged replacement nickel hardware with etchant solution. But never the finish.

fleahead

Reaction score
If you haven't done it before......... if you haven't done honest research...... stay the f away from doing it.

I've seen more guitars fucked up from people who "thought" they knew what they were doing. And NOTHING looks shittier than a bad "relic" job

Last edited:

Deftone

Reaction score
I say if you want to relic it, go for it.

Just search you tube for some tips.
Buy a cheap guitar to practice on first if you want.
Upside down air blaster aerosol can then a heat gun for checking technique.

I relic'd this MM LPJr. I got from another MLP'er. Vinegar solition for the hardware then in a can in the dryer wrapped in a blanket. Most of the yellow paint was already worn off so I just sanded the rest off and applied Linseed oil.

54772-1359299047-2956fd0b387b87461107f52d65e16e9d.jpg

I just bought a replacement Strat body from Warmoth for my '81. I'm going to rattle can it with a thin coat of black nitro and relic it. HSS and a Floyd. Gotta relic the Floyd a little too....

Don't like it? I don't care. I don't do things to please others. I do what I want.

captdan61

Reaction score
I have a new Ebony Junior and I am looking to age it myself rather than pay for it. Something akin to the VOS look but not the in-depth work that the Custom Shop does. Any thoughts? Thanks.
just gig the shit out of it. Make it your main guitar for 10 years just play hell out of it play it everywhere planted outdoor shows indoor shows in the cold in the Heat beat the crap out of it leave the strings on too long change the hardware if you want everything else will come in time I have one guitar I've been playing 40 years it was definitely relict how far to the finish off for my arm on The Relic jobs always looks cheesy. I've played this guitar almost exclusively for the last 20 years in Arizona and the plastic binding is curved and white where my arm touches it all the time but it's a deep Amber with finished checking where I don't touch it all the time the Finish is worn on the neck The Edge where my thumb wraps is is curved in The Binding it would take so much time and so much effort to fake that and invariably when people try they overdo it and they make it look like it was dragged behind a truck plate it'll get chips and we get digs if you got kids put it in the guitar stand on your you know in a room where the kids are they'll hit it with toy cars. And it will get beat up. Trust me if you want it to look like a guitar that's gotten a lot of use use it a lot.

60'svibe

Reaction score
Unless you have artistic abilities (such as a painter or sculptor) I would refrain from attempting it. I paint and I would not attempt using my guitar as a canvas. It is easy and relatively inexpensive to replace a canvas but not so much for a guitar. Especially a Gibson.

LocoTex

Reaction score
I know it's no help, but I wouldn't do it if I were you. With the nitro finish it will get there on it's own with a truly authentic look.

"Play authentic." - Mark Agnessi

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Modern Nitro's barely do anything. My '01 Classic was only gigged for a year with the rest being home use and the finish is still 9.5/ out of 10 with regular cleaning and normal maintenance.

Blues_Verne

Reaction score
i will straddle the fence on this one as the pic below is a relic owned by an MLP member and it has to be one of the best looking guitars i have seen on this forum.....this was a done by a known professional that does great work as shown.

the opposite side is someone that mutilates a guitar into a hidious abortion, thinking you just beat the hell out of it and its a perfect relic....

and honestly you own it, do with it what you please.....but dont just drag it behind your pickup truck on a chain :facepalm:

here is a relic beauty and the owner can send me a pm if they want it removed ...but dam it is a beauty.

:wow:

View attachment 444447
:facepalm:bahhhh ...to shake hands with a human who handles that kind of obnoxious instruments I'd wear thick gloves and definately would never share a meal with her/him in their kitchen.:Ohno:

lawrev

Reaction score
If you are looking for a VOS type look... Get some 4000 rated wet and dry sand paper and use it all over the guitar. This will only take a very small amount of gloss off without doing any harm. Basically, will give it less of a shiny new gloss look.

To age the hardware try soaking it in vinegar for a week.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for these specific ideas!

lawrev

Reaction score
I say if you want to relic it, go for it.

Just search you tube for some tips.
Buy a cheap guitar to practice on first if you want.
Upside down air blaster aerosol can then a heat gun for checking technique.

I relic'd this MM LPJr. I got from another MLP'er. Vinegar solition for the hardware then in a can in the dryer wrapped in a blanket. Most of the yellow paint was already worn off so I just sanded the rest off and applied Linseed oil.

View attachment 444515

I just bought a replacement Strat body from Warmoth for my '81. I'm going to rattle can it with a thin coat of black nitro and relic it. HSS and a Floyd. Gotta relic the Floyd a little too....

Don't like it? I don't care. I don't do things to please others. I do what I want.
Thanks for your specific ideas!

Latest Threads