Aging a New Les Paul Junior

lawrev

Reaction score
I have a new Ebony Junior and I am looking to age it myself rather than pay for it. Something akin to the VOS look but not the in-depth work that the Custom Shop does. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Take it with you everywhere you go in the trunk of the car without a case. Trunk should be partially full of hard objects like tool boxes etc...

Cigarette burn on the headstock.

Razor blade nitro crack lines.

Sandpaper the normal wear spot until the wood peaks through.

Get the hardware stained with body oil, (nose, behind ear) let it oxidize in high humidity somehow.

Play it a lot & don't clean it

Guitpicky

Reaction score
I don’t think fake aging ever looks good, even when done well it still looks fake AF. Honest wear is one of those things that you have to come by honestly or it’s just a wannabe pretending to be something it’s not. That reflection always shines on the owner, not the guitar.

If you’re going to do it look at a bunch of old guitars that have come by it honestly. With patience, research, and a little imagination you should be able to come fairly close. If you don’t have a natural artistic bent and good craftsmanship skills you’ll probably just end up wrecking a perfectly good guitar.

In any case good luck :)

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I agree with the others by just playing the hell out of it...

even if ya went the route of using Historic Makeovers to age it.. it’s not cheap..

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Carefully look at a lot of pictures of the real deal, to see where natural wear occurs and where not. Look at the degree of wear.
I've seen a lot of really really bad home made aging jobs.
Some mistakes that are easy to spot:
- Aging in unlikely places
- Too much aging in one place and hardly any wear on others. Or aging the laquer but not the hardware or vice versa
- Too much aging all over
- Obvious aging like sandpaper marks or obvious screwdriver marks, or too repetitive marks.
- Razor blade checking (seriously, don't do it, it looks fake, even when done by Tom Murphy himself)

A convincing relic isn't done in a matter of minutes, it's precise and meticulous work, see it as a work of art.

Is your guitar one with the "satin" or "faded" finish? That's gonna make your life a lot easier.

It's probably not gonna turn out the way you think it will but don't let that stop you, just think it over.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Play the hell out of it
I did just that with my first Les Paul. After the first seven years, the bridge had to come off because it looked like this.

And yet, swirl marks aside, it had minimal signs of wear.

I even let my cat sit with it

Had it for 15 years. Gigged hundreds of times. I don't baby it, but I do respect it and all my other guitars.

If op is like me, he'll be pushing up daisies before his junior looks like a vintage one.

Leave it with a 3 year old........ a week ought to do it.
My 3 year old will do it in 20 seconds.

Attachments

Guitpicky

Reaction score
You could try accelerating the natural aging process. Some suggestions:

Wear a giant metal belt buckle. Those big jeweled Western style or Harley Davidson belt buckles should really chew the shit out it.

Leave it outside when not playing. While playing leave the case outside for extra authenticity.

Don’t wash your hands... ever.

Don’t trim your fingernails... ever. Toenails should match, again for authenticity.

Spill Coke and beer on it, wipe off excess with a dry dusty rag.

Bring it to the nearest Daycare and leave it for the day

No rides in the car, rooftop or trunk only and NO case cuz that’s for sissies.

Puke on your guitar, lord knows all the rock and roll greats probably did and stomach acid ages hardware like you wouldn’t believe.

That’s all I’ve got off the top of my head :)

Latest Threads