Aged True Historic - Factory Buckle Rash or Not

AJK1

Reaction score
The single most silly thread in the history of MLP. A fake worn guitar, bought for "investment", that has one area of wear that may have not been faked at the factory but faked after the fact or caused during demo playing. Although there is no way of telling the provenance of the wear the buyer requests for the purchase price to be decreased due to possible fake, fake wear. Purchaser is concerned that this area of wear, which neither he, the seller, or numerous others familiar with fake worn guitars, can determine to be original fake wear, fake original fake wear, or heaven forbid real wear from time as a demo has decreased the guitars long term "investment" value as a fake worn guitar. No discussion of playability or tone. Just faked fake wear versus unfaked fake wear. Bizarre.
Agreed

dngrsdave

Reaction score
Let me get this straight,

You Buy a "New" Guitar that is supposed to look Aged,Old , Worn & Used....

And you're Not Happy with it looking like That ?

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Let me get this straight,

You Buy a "New" Guitar that is supposed to look Aged,Old , Worn & Used....

And you're Not Happy with it looking like That ?
He's fine with the factory simulated play wear. He's just worried that there might be some legitimate play wear.

And this thread comes back from the dead to make me laugh again.

GearHo

Reaction score
The relic it yourself police are always taking the moral high road of superiority.

Claiming they are more genuine than those that have had their guitars aged for a certain look.

When in fact it has nothing to do with how good you play, how long you have played, and if your more "authentic" than the custom shop buyer who likes his guitars in a non shiny, new condition.

I have both. Aged guitars, and shiny guitars. Old guitars with natural aging and newer guitars with custom shop aging. Shiny guitars with no aging.

Neither makes me a better or worse player, and I certainly am not trying to fool anyone.

Most people that see an aged guitar onstage wouldn't know the difference between them if you hit them over the head with it.

But year after year the shiny new guitar crowd revels in their authenticity, claiming their status as a measure of their talent.

When in fact I have heard hundreds of shiny new / aged themselves players that suck out loud regardless of having authenticlly aged guitars.

If you want to play authentic, if you want to gain respect in the guitar world practice. Your guitar means nothing to anyone else unless you do.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Nothing about moral superiority here. It's about the idiocy on display. I thought the whole point of an aged guitar was so it felt worn in and you wouldn't have to worry about that first ding.

I mean, this is like freaking out about one little scratch on your trustworthy demolition derby car.

drivers1959

Reaction score
Here's the thing..if when u bought it from the dealer and they did not tell you or show those marks in pictures before you bought it,..thats just being dishonest and I consider that shady business practice..to me it sounds like you didn't expect your guitar purchase to have marks on it..that being the case your options are either return it to the store for a full refund or see if they are willing to give you a price break to offset from the damage. personally for me it would not be a deal breaker especially if I really like the guitar...but again I would expect some compensation for it...remember there's many music stores out there who also sell those guitars and maybe you can do better..but just like frank Zappa said "SHUTUP AND PLAY YOUR GUITAR......best of luck n sorry for your hassle

KS 5150

Reaction score
I always prefer my pre-aged guitars to be immaculate otherwise :p

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
Whether or not you like aged guitars, the point is that the store listed it as new, so if I bought it, I'd expect it to look exactly like it left the factory. Some people seem convinced it's not factory aging, and if that's the case, the store is lying and being shady AF - it's not very realistic buckle rash, so I wouldn't want it on my guitar either. That said, I personally believe it came from the factory like that. The store has no real reason to lie about it - some demo wear isn't going to devalue the guitar THAT much to make it worth ruining their reputation - plus, as someone else said, it doesn't look realistic, so it's highly unlikely it's from demo wear or even from a previous owner. I'd bet a chunk of change it's just sloppy aging from the factory.

drivers1959

Reaction score
Its all about the description..if a person buys a guitar as being sold as new..it should not have any marks or wear on it and not even have swirl marks on the pick guard... if this is the case and u receive a guitar not as mentioned earlier then u have a choice to return it, most any good business would accept returns ..if not u need to not do any business with shady
business practices, weather its a store or eBay or reverb..or private sale u need to know your options..if its online look at the sellers feed back from previous buyers and take that into consideration when purchasing ..if its something u can play ..touch..and feel in the store thats a great advantage u have because u know what ur buying otherwise my advise is proceed with caution before purchasing.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
The OP said that they bought this guitar 'sight unseen', which means that he would have had photos to go on allowing him to make a decision on whether or not to purchase it. The fact that there would have been photos leads me to think that the seller very likely would have posted at least one photo of the back of the guitar

So here's my 2c FWIW. If the marks were visible in the photo(s) then that really does take the 'dishonesty by the seller' out of the equation, the marks are there for all to see and there shouldn't really be any reason for the seller to have to compensate the buyer. However, if the photos taken of the back of the guitar have been taken in a way so that the marks cannot be seen then yes, that's reason enough to go back and ask for something to be done about it. They're prominent enough marks that you'd probably have to take the photo at a certain angle as to not see them, and then also not mention them in the description. But without the OP posting a link to the original FS advert (if it's still up) I guess we're all in the dark

At the end of the day, the fact that the OP has gone back to the seller and received a further discount actually highlights that this is likely a respectable and honest seller / store

RAG7890

Reaction score
...the end...................is getting closer. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

My Les Paul Classifieds