Aged True Historic - Factory Buckle Rash or Not

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
I purchased sight unseen an Aged True Historic from an authorized dealer that told me I am/would be the first owner of the guitar. Upon delivery, I immediately noticed that there was significant buckle rash that did not look consistent with the rest of the aging of the guitar. I would like to get opinions on if people believe this was part of the factory aging process or occurred after. Thanks for any insight.

View attachment 404233
Probably done factory at the test bench by this guy

E00A49D1-0E48-49B6-B122-59C4364ED8EC.jpeg

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
Could someone please explain what exactly a "mint condition" reliced/aged guitar is and how would you know?
I got $500 off an R9 VOS in 2016 because it was a floor demo model with a 1 inch scratch on the underside. I buffed it out literally 2 minutes with my hand. THE GUITAR HAD FACTORY DINGS AND SUCH.

Slick

Reaction score
Looks authentic, I doubt a guitar that aged would escape not having marks on the back from a buckle. A little buckle rash on your backside never hurt anyone. *wink*
:naughty:

Luigi Albertelli

Reaction score
Mit
I purchased sight unseen an Aged True Historic from an authorized dealer that told me I am/would be the first owner of the guitar. Upon delivery, I immediately noticed that there was significant buckle rash that did not look consistent with the rest of the aging of the guitar. I would like to get opinions on if people believe this was part of the factory aging process or occurred after. Thanks for any insight.

View attachment 404233
No

View attachment 404233
not of factory .. too bad sign, maibe
this Guitar was hanging badly on the wall.

nkd

Reaction score
Buying a factory aged guitar makes as much sense as buying a new car that has accident damage. Just my 2 cents worth. :io:

Pageburst

Reaction score
Nice guitar. That buckle rash is probably not ”factory aging“ which is ironic since aging should actually replicate real world wear.

And herein lies the problem. While there are exceptions, much of this aging looks fake. Anyone who has seen vintage Gibsons close up should be able to tell real from fake aging. For example, rarely is checking so top to bottom symmetrical. Not having wear in the very place a guitar should have wear is another giveaway.

my advice is this, if you like the guitar, thoroughly play it without concern for the inevitable nick or ding. That afaic is the raison d’etre to own one of these guitars. To enjoy it with abondon. There are some people that seem to view their historics as investments or worry about resale. Imho, that’s not only a waste of beautiful Instrument but a horrible way to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Life‘s too short for that.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
The single most silly thread in the history of MLP. A fake worn guitar, bought for "investment", that has one area of wear that may have not been faked at the factory but faked after the fact or caused during demo playing. Although there is no way of telling the provenance of the wear the buyer requests for the purchase price to be decreased due to possible fake, fake wear. Purchaser is concerned that this area of wear, which neither he, the seller, or numerous others familiar with fake worn guitars, can determine to be original fake wear, fake original fake wear, or heaven forbid real wear from time as a demo has decreased the guitars long term "investment" value as a fake worn guitar. No discussion of playability or tone. Just faked fake wear versus unfaked fake wear. Bizarre.
Actual wear shouldn't coexist with fake wear.
It's just... un-natural!
;)

ASG

Reaction score
When Gibson do this finish-removal thing to imitate wear , why don't the make the wood dirty , as it is on all my old , naturally de-finished Gibsons and Guilds ?
Yeah just putting some linseed oil on the exposed wood would not only protect the wood from moisture but make the aging FAR more realistic as over time the oils from one's hands and other grime would darken the wood up.

An additional question is why do Gibson do such unrealistic buckle rash? All it would take is to wear a buckle and grind the guitar actually into your buckle for 30 seconds and BAM is would be twenty times more realistic than those stupid screwdriver zorro marks!

gadafi

Reaction score
That's some fairly deep dents would have to be intentional rather than from a buckle etc imho. Pretty shitty attempt to replicate buckle damage if so.

Lovely looking guitar all the same.

Haprom

Reaction score
I have personally owned a few aged r9's with the same exact Mark of Zoro... Nice Piece, play it in good health...

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I own a '92 Standard that has buckle marks on the back from the previous owner.
I am always careful not to let my belt buckle rub against the finish.
The nitro finish has yet to crack and look "aged".
So I guess mine will eventually look somehow like yours...
Yours is beautiful, by the way.
I would be tempted to play it and play it and play it.
:thumb:

Frozen Rat

Premium Member
Reaction score
Buckle rash on an aged guitar is like a migraine that comes a week after a concussion. Did the concussion cause the migraine or did something else? My point is, you can't really prove anything and there are questions in this world we are sometimes unable to answer. Take your car keys and put some more in the back and be done with the whole business. Or don't, I wouldn't. I once took a guitar to a reputable repair facility and they dented the top and didn't own up to it. I have to keep using these guys from time to time so I swallowed my words and accepted that sometimes shit happens and you just have to move on for the sake of things.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
I think the person who aged it, tried to imagine the imaginary person who never actually owned it, and imagined that that guy lent it to his imaginary beer-drinking, big belt buckle, douchebag friend who put those marks in it while standing in front of a mirror pretending to play along with Gimme Three Steps.
Ba-bing!
Mystery solved.
Really though...My guitar is all buggered up but does it have the PROPER buggers?
Anybody who has a problem with this probably shouldn't buy pre-buggered guitars.
Not that I'm against them, but they clearly work better for some people than others.

Last edited: