Aged True Historic - Factory Buckle Rash or Not

RAG7890

Reaction score
I don’t like being lied to. It sounds like the dealer is working with him so that’s great. Maybe the dealer didn’t know, maybe they did.

OP, the fact the guitar has never been registered does not mean you are the first owner. It only means you are the first registered owner. I have never registered any of my Reissues.
Me neither, BS sucks big time and like you I have never filled in a Registration Card.

:cheers2:

john550

Reaction score
Great looking guitar , I like the aging . just wondering , if that worming could that be steamed out (if it bothered you )

enjoy !

Sahalee

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the replies and feedback. I worked with the dealer today and we quickly agreed on a price adjustment that we can both live with. I am happy to add this one to my collection especially since I will be much more likely to take this one out and play. The dealer has been totally straight with me and might even be aware of this discussion topic and that speaks to the value of this community. Of course, I am sure they are happy to move a 2016 model year guitar. I will work on my photography skills and post so more of my collection. This was my first time posting on the forum but I have been a stalker for a while now.

Blue Blood

Reaction score
I'd use it for target practice !

I fully understand artist aged guitars etc all retain value when left as they did from the CS.
You guys are missing the OP's point though. He was told he was/would be the first owner of the guitar, implying that guitar is essentially new. While I agree that having those marks on an aged guitar is not the end of the world, it boils down to principal. If in fact he is NOT the first owner, the dealer, at the very least, lied to him about that, and that's not cool. It also means that the dealer cannot say for sure if that was caused by a previous owner, or done purposely at the factory....also not cool.
Realisticly,its more likely that its just never been sold, and has been played by guys in the shop,,,
All my guitars are old (1960-2000) at this point so I LOL'z at worming/rash.

Clint

Reaction score
Some CC models look like that. Totally possible that this was done at the factory but that's the problem with factory-distressed guitars. Hard to know what dings were done at the factory and what were done by the owner.

vintageguitarz

Reaction score
Hey, you wanted an "Aged " Historic, didn't you?? What's the beef? Maybe the "Historic" part is that buckle rash is from rocker George "Slash" Washington's belt buckle.

moreles

Reaction score
Yes, buckle rash is one of the most common forms of wear, but in the fantasy world of "aging" (which has little to do with actual playwear and real aging) it is unfashionable, so no one does it. We only want the attractive fake aging. Thats why ciggy burns are no longer done much, either. Of course, this is all beyond ridiculous, but I guess people like the look of the fakery. Having the pristine medallion over the switch cavity just completes the wackiness. The faded colors and ambered finishes are beautiful in and of themselves -- just as French Polish is beautiful in and of itself. So are rolled edges. Why added fake cracking has appeal is beyond me -- well, it's not beyond me, really, I'm just trying to act nice. But everyone gets what they want. I'm glad you got what should be a significant discount for real play wear that messed up the artificial play wear.

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would happily keep it regardless but I would touch base with the seller and state it was misrepresented and WAS used due to that rash.
Then I would tell them I would keep it but considering it would not have sold for what it did if the rash was noted and not stated as new but used, you expect some compensation back.
$300 or something fair.

You bought a factory aged guitar so you are cool with some wear already so keep it and enjoy it.

Tinpan

Reaction score
Call the Custom Shop and ask them or send them an email with pictures and questions, and then call them.

Tinpan

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I think the consensus is that it is probably not factory aging (possibly a CC repurpose). I am going to approach the dealer and ask for a price adjustment that would make sense to keep the guitar. I think no matter what, the marks will deter future owners if I ever decide to part with the guitar since it is too big a risk that it is not factory aging. Also explains why the dealer still has a 2016 model available for sale. I hope that they make me an offer that convinces me to keep the guitar.
Are you buying it to play it or tuck it away as an investment? It was made to be played - play it like a two pound rat terrier attacking a twenty pound ham bone!

johncapaldi

Reaction score
I can see people's fascination with historic reissues. I have a couple guitarists like this myself. However the artificial aging and wear I don't get. it's like people who buy jeans with holes in them. I know it's fashionable but I think it's absolutely crazy that people have been marketed to pay more for intentionally damaged merchandise. It seems insane to me. I would think the buckle rash on your guitar was caused by a prior owner or people handling the guitar. Nevertheless if you're happy with the guitar, that's all that matters.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
I appreciate all the feedback. Kinda confirming my suspicion that it is not factory aging which is of course why I posted. I thought I would share the money shot of the guitar because other than the marks on the back it is a nice guitar. I did contact Gibson and they were able to confirm that it has not been registered by anyone else. It is a reputable dealer. I did get a good price assuming it was in mint condition as originally described. I am worried about the marks because this guitar is more of a collectible for me than anything I would every play. I appreciate any additional feedback. Thanks.View attachment 404281
Beautiful, but collectible? Eh.

If I had it, it would get the hell played out of it! Then again, even if it was vintage...

Btw, I totally understand where you're coming from, but given that it's already "aged", a little more "damage" isn't really going to affect it's value.

Archtopanimal

Reaction score
Reactions: ASG

hdsteele

Reaction score
The single most silly thread in the history of MLP. A fake worn guitar, bought for "investment", that has one area of wear that may have not been faked at the factory but faked after the fact or caused during demo playing. Although there is no way of telling the provenance of the wear the buyer requests for the purchase price to be decreased due to possible fake, fake wear. Purchaser is concerned that this area of wear, which neither he, the seller, or numerous others familiar with fake worn guitars, can determine to be original fake wear, fake original fake wear, or heaven forbid real wear from time as a demo has decreased the guitars long term "investment" value as a fake worn guitar. No discussion of playability or tone. Just faked fake wear versus unfaked fake wear. Bizarre.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
The single most silly thread in the history of MLP. A fake worn guitar, bought for "investment", that has one area of wear that may have not been faked at the factory but faked after the fact or caused during demo playing. Although there is no way of telling the provenance of the wear the buyer requests for the purchase price to be decreased due to possible fake, fake wear. Purchaser is concerned that this area of wear, which neither he, the seller, or numerous others familiar with fake worn guitars, can determine to be original fake wear, fake original fake wear, or heaven forbid real wear from time as a demo has decreased the guitars long term "investment" value as a fake worn guitar. No discussion of playability or tone. Just faked fake wear versus unfaked fake wear. Bizarre.
The real funny,....and i mean knee slapping roll over crying kinda funny,.... that someone would buy a brand new Gibson and did it for an investment.

:facepalm:

If you believe the hype that is printed on the warranty card or the COA card.... or the hype of "limited runs" or "Limited editions" or "signature models",.... any of Gibsons marketing crap,... you've been suckered.

If you bought your Gibson because of how it sounds and how it plays or even just how it makes you feel,... then you made a personal PURCHASE that will last your lifetime.

It's only worth the money you spend if you enjoy it............ I truly enjoy my Gibsons and don't give a crap what the resale value is. I don't sell guitars.......... ever............ though my wife might think i should....... i think she should sell her cat.

goodvibes

Reaction score
All I can say is that if this was purchased from a reputable dealer, they should have disclosed this to you. However, you should have asked for ample close up pictures at the very least. If this is "factory aging" it must have been done by a disgruntled employee. I would return it unless you got a huge discount. Also, don't buy new "artificially aged" guitars as an investment strategy.

goodvibes

Reaction score
The single most silly thread in the history of MLP.
Nope! You are too new to make that statement IMO. This is nothing compared to what I've seen before. You have to have thick skin to not get jabbed in this forum:iough: