Aged True Historic - Factory Buckle Rash or Not

RAG7890

Reaction score
So people think Murphy or Factory aging is cool but real world player aging is bad.

Well damn, 7ucking cracks me up. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:cheers2:

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its true....real world players don't get the point....

The guys I play with wonder about my sanity when I rant on about bursts and other goofy stuff we discuss here on this forum...

tubes10s

Reaction score
I’d say that could certainly be aging from the factory. I’ve owned several aged historics, and currently own 3 aged LPs, and many of them have had heavy marks on the back like that. And all of mine but one were bought brand new. I had a 2014 aged R9 that had marks on the back that looked a lot like what you’ve got going here.

judson

Reaction score
put on a belt with the biggest buckle you have , strap on the guitar and play the hell out of it for a few years and that little scratch will fade into the sunset...

DanD

Reaction score
I haven't seen the lines/ impressions/ faux bucklerash on typical aged TH guitars (not including heavy aged which is far beyond the TH shown). The aged TH usually show some nicely done checking and a few small nicks/dings/chips to the wood. All this is very tastefully done and not over-aged.

However, some of the repurposed CCs sigs have faux bucklerash and I've seen that 'Z' somewhere before.

OP, check the later model CCs in cherry burst. I think you'll find that R9 is a repurposed CC.

So, first things last. To answer your question, yes, Gibson did make wear like what you've pictured.

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like Chris Cornell's signature

Moni

Reaction score
Looks authentic, I doubt a guitar that aged would escape not having marks on the back from a buckle. A little buckle rash on your backside never hurt anyone. *wink*

Sahalee

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I think the consensus is that it is probably not factory aging (possibly a CC repurpose). I am going to approach the dealer and ask for a price adjustment that would make sense to keep the guitar. I think no matter what, the marks will deter future owners if I ever decide to part with the guitar since it is too big a risk that it is not factory aging. Also explains why the dealer still has a 2016 model available for sale. I hope that they make me an offer that convinces me to keep the guitar.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
So people think Murphy or Factory aging is cool but real world player aging is bad.

Well damn, 7ucking cracks me up. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:cheers2:
OMG buckle rash on an aged guitar.
Lol

You guys are missing the OP's point though. He was told he was/would be the first owner of the guitar, implying that guitar is essentially new. While I agree that having those marks on an aged guitar is not the end of the world, it boils down to principal. If in fact he is NOT the first owner, the dealer, at the very least, lied to him about that, and that's not cool. It also means that the dealer cannot say for sure if that was caused by a previous owner, or done purposely at the factory....also not cool.

RAG7890

Reaction score
You guys are missing the OP's point though. He was told he was/would be the first owner of the guitar, implying that guitar is essentially new. While I agree that having those marks on an aged guitar is not the end of the world, it boils down to principal. If in fact he is NOT the first owner, the dealer, at the very least, lied to him about that, and that's not cool. It also means that the dealer cannot say for sure if that was caused by a previous owner, or done purposely at the factory....also not cool.
Jon if you want this to be a serious discussion then we need to know how much he paid.

He may well have paid a heavily discounted price for all we know.............& then lies or no lies becomes not such a big deal.

Who's the Dealer?

Lots of information should have been included that would help answer the question.

If the Guitar was bought to be played rather than ogled over & it is aged then really who cares about buckle rash, especially if the price was good.

Cheers, Rudi

Last edited:

DarthPaul

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I think the consensus is that it is probably not factory aging (possibly a CC repurpose). I am going to approach the dealer and ask for a price adjustment that would make sense to keep the guitar. I think no matter what, the marks will deter future owners if I ever decide to part with the guitar since it is too big a risk that it is not factory aging. Also explains why the dealer still has a 2016 model available for sale. I hope that they make me an offer that convinces me to keep the guitar.
Slow down on the "repurposed" bit until you do some actual research on the guitar.

Sahalee

Reaction score
Jon if you want this to be a serious discussion then we need to know how much he paid.

He may well have paid a heavily discounted price for all we know.............& then lies or no lies becomes not such a big deal.

Who's the Dealer?

Lots of information should have been included that would help answer the question.

If the Guitar was bought to be played rather than ogled over & it is aged then really who cares about buckle rash, especially if the price was good.

Cheers, Rudi
The guitar was discounted but was described as being in mint condition. The dealer is being very accommodating and is willing to accept a return and is even willing to consider a price adjustment. I prefer not to mention the dealer expect to say they have been first class in trying to resolve. The feedback from the forum has been helpful. I now need to decided if there is a price acceptable to the dealer that I can live with probably never knowing where those marks came from.

Sahalee

Reaction score
Slow down on the "repurposed" bit until you do some actual research on the guitar.
I agree. I have called Gibson and they have been helpful - they have confirmed the serial number matches everything you would expect and that no one has registered the guitar in the past. As expected they cannot say if it is repurposed and I treat the idea of it being repurposed as one of a million explanations for the marks. I will never know the origins of the marks. If the dealer accepts a discount, I am going to turn around and make this one of my players. Not what I originally had planned for this one but would be a good resolution in my opinion.

DarthPaul

Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree. I have called Gibson and they have been helpful - they have confirmed the serial number matches everything you would expect and that no one has registered the guitar in the past. As expected they cannot say if it is repurposed and I treat the idea of it being repurposed as one of a million explanations for the marks. I will never know the origins of the marks. If the dealer accepts a discount, I am going to turn around and make this one of my players. Not what I originally had planned for this one but would be a good resolution in my opinion.
I'll see what I can dig up on this mark. I like a good mystery!

NTCP8

Reaction score
My AFD aged LP has the same type of buckle rash. I assume its done by Gibson.

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, the factory aging borders ridiculousness. This is what the stock control cover looked like on my 2005 Murphy-aged R9. The aged finish on the guitar itself was fantastic, but the aging of the hardware was subpar. As I understand it, Gibson would send a husk to Tom, he would age it, then send it back to the Custom Shop for assembly. I believe that the hardware was sent monkeys with sandpaper.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score

Who's the Dealer?

Cheers, Rudi
I don’t like being lied to. It sounds like the dealer is working with him so that’s great. Maybe the dealer didn’t know, maybe they did.

OP, the fact the guitar has never been registered does not mean you are the first owner. It only means you are the first registered owner. I have never registered any of my Reissues.