Aged Silverburst LP Custom Murphy Lab

wjlim22

Reaction score
I always wanted an old Silverburst that was yellowed, but I never wanted to deal with the problems that come with vintage guitars like twisted necks, collapsed bridges, fret wear. So when I got a chance to get an ultra light aged murphy lab Silverburst, I jumped. I wanted the Adam Jones Custom, but I was too late in the game to get the 6k VOS version and I don't want to pay the resale price. I am floored by the amount of detail they put into the aging without any dings or chips. It is spectacular. Even the screws are aged. The quality is excellent. The frets, binding, neck shape, all of it is just perfect. This one came with Custombucker alnico III pickups and is also chambered. It weighs 8.5 lbs and sounds great. So here are some quick pics of my new Ultra Light Aged Murphy Lab Silverburst Custom. I'll have to take higher quality pics later, but just gonna play it more for now.

20220701_142656.jpg
20220701_142627.jpg
20220701_142559.jpg
20220701_142722.jpg
IMG_9120 (1).JPG

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Wait.... that's "ultra light aged"? WTF??? Both my 72 Sg and 78 L6s don't have a 10th of that checking COMBINED!
I know it's your baby, and I know you love your baby, but God, that's.... WAY overdone.

wjlim22

Reaction score
Wait.... that's "ultra light aged"? WTF??? Both my 72 Sg and 78 L6s don't have a 10th of that checking COMBINED!
I know it's your baby, and I know you love your baby, but God, that's.... WAY overdone.
We can call it "over done aged" if you'd like. Doesn't matter to me. And, no, it's not my baby. It's just a guitar.

I've seen and owned guitars from the 70s and even late 80s that have just as much checking, some owned by members here too. The checking is extensive and beautiful. I was able to choose from this one or another one that had less checking and I chose this one. Ultra light is just a label that they sold it under. In fact, heavy aged is much more expensive so it's just a bonus for me

jstarr

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
I like light wear with lots of checking versus a guitar that's beat to hell. Looks killer. Congrats!

wjlim22

Reaction score
I like light wear with lots of checking versus a guitar that's beat to hell. Looks killer. Congrats!
Yep, that's exactly why they make these. You get the vintage look in new condition with modern features. Nothing wrong with vintage guitars. I know there are good reasons why a lot of people like vintage guitars like the quality of the wood and other specifics, but I like playing new guitars.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Wow! What a stunner. Congrats! I’m loving all the Les Paul Customs being posted, my all time favorite guitar. I’ve never seen Silverburst available through Murphy Lab. A unique and rare bird for sure. Did you get it M2M?

wjlim22

Reaction score
Wow! What a stunner. Congrats! I’m loving all the Les Paul Customs being posted, my all time favorite guitar. I’ve never seen Silverburst available through Murphy Lab. A unique and rare bird for sure. Did you get it M2M?
Yes, this is a M2M. The dealer had 10 of these made.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not a huge Murphy fan but that’s very nicely done! Awesome.

wjlim22

Reaction score
Not a huge Murphy fan but that’s very nicely done! Awesome.
Actually, I had never seen a murphy lab aged guitar in person before. So I'm not really a murphy lab fan either, but I have been a Silverburst fan for a long time. I'm really glad Gibson started doing these aged Silverburst finishes.

wjlim22

Reaction score
An age old question... pick guard or no pick guard?

20220702_101518.jpg

moreles

Reaction score
My honest reaction is that I've only ever seen that kind of crackle-checking on a frozen finish. I like relics, but less so when they look strange rather than showing familiar, genuine wear. I've got to admit that I just don't get some of the treatments coming out of the Murphy Lab. That's a terrific guitar, but I can't say that the checking works for me at all. Collings, on the other hand, does a cracked finish that's pretty convincing and doesn't look like a shriveled decal.

Latest Threads