Aged parts on new high gloss Les Paul?

onlyrockrocks

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I'm thinking about maybe getting a high gloss Custom Shop Les Paul at the moment.

The thing is that I originaly aimed for either a aged (Gibson in house, Murphy or CC) or a VOS Les Paul. Therfore I ordered an aged set of PAFs that I already got lying around here for quite some time. Now that I might be going with a non-aged high gloss guitar, I'm a little sceptical about using the pickups in it.

What's your experience/opinion regarding high gloss guitars with unaged hardware, but aged pickups?
Or even high gloss guitars with all hardware parts being aged, because I also could exchange the shiny bridge parts etc. as well for some aged ones.

Thanks for your input and have a nice day!

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
onlyrockrocks said:
Hi everybody!

I'm thinking about maybe getting a high gloss Custom Shop Les Paul at the moment.

The thing is that I originaly aimed for either a aged (Gibson in house, Murphy or CC) or a VOS Les Paul. Therfore I ordered an aged set of PAFs that I already got lying around here for quite some time. Now that I might be going with a non-aged high gloss guitar, I'm a little sceptical about using the pickups in it.

What's your experience/opinion regarding high gloss guitars with unaged hardware, but aged pickups?
Or even high gloss guitars with all hardware parts being aged, because I also could exchange the shiny bridge parts etc. as well for some aged ones.

Thanks for your input and have a nice day!

I have a high gloss black LP with all aged hardware. I think it looks awesome.

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

Boston Dan

Reaction score
Ditto, I have 3 gloss guitars where I bought all after market aged parts. I don't mind if the wood looks new, as long as the top looks old. but the shiny hardware im not a fan of. I think it looks great to have dullet hardware and aged plastic but a mint shiny gloss. and of note lots of vintage guitars have been polished and shined so the wood looks mint, even though the nickel, steel and plastic parts and dulled and brown. GO FOR IT!

7gtop

Reaction score
naturally... the parts age quickly ... the finish does not :thumb:

chances are that it'll look that way in no time anyway.

I'm for !t

onlyrockrocks

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies!

Dou you perheps have any pictures of your guitars?

Also: When you exchanged the hardware from new to aged, what kind of tuning machines did you go with?

Boston Dan

Reaction score

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 556

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies!

Dou you perheps have any pictures of your guitars?

Also: When you exchanged the hardware from new to aged, what kind of tuning machines did you go with?

Here's my tuners.

20130726_164620_zps6c0afc86.jpg

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
IT will have character.

Better than an aged guitar with all new stuff like my "Shanks" came....:shock:

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
IT will have character.

Better than an aged guitar with all new stuff like my "Shanks" came....:shock:

I wanted to ask you now that you have had your Shanks awhile.. Do you miss you Historic Makeover any?

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do....not having bad dreams or anything....but yea, its is an awesome guitar. The Shanks is somewhat similar....

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
I have a high gloss black LP with all aged hardware. I think it looks awesome.

I kind of agree, but it is harmonically incorrect. Hardware too aged and a top too polished looks out of place, medium to light age looks good.

The top and hardware age hand by hand same with plastics, because if you are one of those guys that try to keep your guitar in top notch new look you have to clean the hardware after playing not just the top right? :cool:

CreamTone

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I think this is becoming a trend. We've sold aged parts to several customers to go on their gloss guitars. My '83 335 still has lots of gloss in the finish, but the nickel hardware is really worn (all natural).

I think it's a killer look.

LpCustom2007

Reaction score
2005 R9 (pre VOS) with aged Duncan Antiquities and all else stock hardware..

3ulh.jpg

El Kabong

Reaction score
I have aged pickups in a couple brand new shiny guitars... those in the know will understand, those that aren't won't even notice! :cool:

Surf

Reaction score
If you were to find a set of vintage PAFs for sale would you even think twice about dropping them in your new LP because they wouldn't match???

Latest Threads