Age of a custom

sherpa_man

Reaction score
hi guys im new to this forum ! just after abit of help dating my les paul custom. Its a wine red gibson custom i was told from the shop i bought the guitar grom they thought it was a 2001 model. I emailed gibson today with the S/N number and was told its alot older than this the S/N starts with a letter c then has 6 numbers after can anybody help me dating this ? gibson told me it was made in 1976. Just not sure if this is right

Cheers !

you can see photos at ESPSherpa - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Reaction score
The photos aren't very clear and don't help much. I doubt that's a 76 though., the lacquer and gold seems too clean. Back a the headstock should have a volute and possibly a pancake body if it's from the 70-80s era.

sherpa_man

Reaction score
Thats the email i got sent

Dear Mr Owen,

Thank you for your interest in Gibson guitars.

It should be a Les Paul Custom made between 1974 and 1976.

6-digit numbers with a preceding letter C link to the years 1974-75. However, according supposedly the Les Paul Custom was available in Wine Red from 1976.

Here follows some information about the Les Paul Custom in those years:

Les Paul Custom reintroduced, 3 humbucking pickups (a few with 2 pickups) 7-ply top binding, low frets, Les Paul on truss rod cover, gold plated hardware, black finish: 1968

4-piece pancake body (2 layers of mahogany, with thin layer of maple in middle, maple top): 1969

Neck volute: 1970

Cherry or cherry sunburst finish optional: 1971

3 pickups optional, tobacco sunburst finish optional: 1972

Twentieth anniversary engraved in block letters on the 15th fret, black or white finish: 1974

Standard jumbo frets, white or natural finish optional: 1975

Wine red finish available: 1976

DDcat

Reaction score
That's a custom shop model (that's what the "cs" in the serial number denotes) Custom Shop wasn't around in the 70's. Hard to believe Gibson didn't catch that. I'd guess it to be early 2000's like the shop says. Nice guitar.

Mike60

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's a custom shop model (that's what the "cs" in the serial number denotes) Custom Shop wasn't around in the 70's. Hard to believe Gibson didn't catch that. I'd guess it to be early 2000's like the shop says. Nice guitar.
...+1...

TattooedCarrot

Ferro Picta Carota
Reaction score
Yep, that's a recent custom shop built Les Paul Custom. When Gibson moved production of these to the custom shop a couple years ago, the added the C to the serial number and the custom shop logo to the back of the headstock. I can't believe Gibson customer service doesn't know this. FYI there's really nothing custom about these, the specs remained the same and the only thing that seems to have changed is calling them custom shop and making the serial number logo changes mentioned.

scozz

Reaction score
What DDcat said is correct. Also, in 76 LPs had the neck volute.

GuitarGal

Reaction score
hi guys im new to this forum ! just after abit of help dating my les paul custom. Its a wine red gibson custom i was told from the shop i bought the guitar grom they thought it was a 2001 model. I emailed gibson today with the S/N number and was told its alot older than this the S/N starts with a letter c then has 6 numbers after can anybody help me dating this ? gibson told me it was made in 1976. Just not sure if this is right

Cheers !

you can see photos at ESPSherpa - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
:wave: sherpa_man~

Welcome here~ :rock:

GuitarGal

Reaction score
:wave: DDcat~

Welcome here~ :rock:

Latest Threads