After gig depression??

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Can any of you relate to this at all? . After a gig, especially a really good one with the crowd into it and my vocals and playing on point. I have a really hard time calming down enough to sleep. BUT after that... the next day or 2 I get severely depressed. Like crying in my beer depressed. It's GOTTA be some sort of adrenaline or serotonin thing but it gets pretty bad. If I am working the next day it's not quite as bad because I am basically on stage again (demos) but if not man alive. I think maybe that's why I gig as much as I can.

kelsodeez

Reaction score
If you want to maintain serotonin levels, take the hottest shower you can stand and then before you get out, just crank the cold water.

I'm serious. It cures depression. I don't know why but it does and it's the secret to happiness.

MorphineNoir

Reaction score
Can any of you relate to this at all? . After a gig, especially a really good one with the crowd into it and my vocals and playing on point. I have a really hard time calming down enough to sleep. BUT after that... the next day or 2 I get severely depressed. Like crying in my beer depressed. It's GOTTA be some sort of adrenaline or serotonin thing but it gets pretty bad. If I am working the next day it's not quite as bad because I am basically on stage again (demos) but if not man alive. I think maybe that's why I gig as much as I can.
100%

I have not giggled in 25 years but, back in my 20's in my band I would become totally depressed after the gig - would load out my stuff and go home while other band members stayed and partied

I would feel overcome with depression and a feeling of being "alone" - just emptiness

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
100%

I have not giggled in 25 years but, back in my 20's in my band I would become totally depressed after the gig - would load out my stuff and go home while other band members stayed and partied

I would feel overcome with depression and a feeling of being "alone" - just emptiness
That's a hell of an accurate description. "Alone"....... even in a room full of people.

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Reaction score
If you want to maintain serotonin levels, take the hottest shower you can stand and then before you get out, just crank the cold water.

I'm serious. It cures depression. I don't know why but it does and it's the secret to happiness.
yeah, I dunno about that. I really, really hate being cold.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
To quote Be Bop Deluxe "Axe Victim" "Last night I felt immortal, this morning I feel dead..."

delawaregold

_______Artie_______
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Watching my dick shrivel up from the cold water, would start the depression all over again.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's what happens when you don't get laid by a hot stranger after a gig LOL
I think that answer is closer to the truth than anyone will admit.

So Steve...you gotta think about what exactly is your motivation to want to play music. Because you love music so much that you practice to become the finest musician you can? Or is it a little more on the "I like the attention when I perform" side?
If it's the latter that might explain it. You're on stage, people looking at you, having a good time, etc. But then as soon as you're done and the stage lights go out you're nobody to them.
Something to think about.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Needs to be flashed more often but on a serious note good luck getting this figured out

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Happens to the best of us. Now you know why it's "Sex, drugs, and Rock&Roll" - need something to maintain the "high", or else...

MorphineNoir

Reaction score
That's what happens when you don't get laid by a hot stranger after a gig LOL

I think that answer is closer to the truth than anyone will admit.

So Steve...you gotta think about what exactly is your motivation to want to play music. Because you love music so much that you practice to become the finest musician you can? Or is it a little more on the "I like the attention when I perform" side?
If it's the latter that might explain it. You're on stage, people looking at you, having a good time, etc. But then as soon as you're done and the stage lights go out you're nobody to them.
Something to think about.

I never met anyone before/during/after a gig when I did gig

As a matter of fact, not one woman I ever dated ever asked me to play guitar for her or play her any music I had written

However, I never picked up a guitar or wrote music to meet women

I write and play because I enjoy it and it helps me de-stress from my day job

Considering I am single and haven't been on a date in almost 8 years - maybe music is keeping me from women

YMMV

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never met anyone before/during/after a gig when I did gig

As a matter of fact, not one woman I ever dated ever asked me to play guitar for her or play her any music I had written

However, I never picked up a guitar or wrote music to meet women

I write and play because I enjoy it and it helps me de-stress from my day job

Considering I am single and haven't been on a date in almost 8 years - maybe music is keeping me from women

YMMV
You're doing it wrong.

dspelman

Reaction score
It's like having really good sex. With a partner.

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Watching my dick shrivel up from the cold water, would start the depression all over again.
71de3a8f4bec77e19b54a359442ee4cb.jpg

sonar1

Reaction score
…. as for smoking weed at 56 yrs old I never have..not once
You’re way ahead in the game.
I smoked a LOT of shit.
Totally useless ultimately and a big DE-motivator for me.

You seem to gig a lot, and care.
It’s about the music. Sure it feels great to be “in the zone,” but it’s more than the temporary feelings that come and go.
Life on life’s terms is lived in the transitions between high and low.

Seems healthy enough to me. Yes I’ve been way satisfied turning in a pro performance. Ride that pink cloud baby!

Because you know there’s nights when you’re loading in where you wish you were at the other end of the night, loading out. It happens.

Latest Threads