After 14 years of daily intake

blakem

Reaction score
I finally stopped taking Prilosec. I suffer with GERD , High acid and heartburn due to the valve at the top of my stomach always staying open... its been a rough road, Prilosec was like a God send , if I didnt take it, within 2 or so hours I would be in total pain with awful heart burn... well the doctors wanted me to have surgery... the procedure is crazy, they wrap the top part of my stomach around my esophagus and it keeps the valve closed.. I did a lot of research and there are alot of bad side effects, No Burping or puking ever again... just sounds bad to me.. we were designed to puke if we need too..anyway, I declined the surgery, I figured I would just keep taking the Prilosec until I die. Well I never researched Prilosec and its side effects, so I decided to, I was shocked, it causes depression, anxiety, irritability it also causes osteoporosis. I then realized why I had suffered with all those side effects within the last 10 years or so.. I had no idea it was the Prilosec I was taking.... I never had had depression before, not until the last 10 years or so, it would come over me like a dark cloud...well now I know why! So I did research on foods and drinks that cause heart burn, The #1 culprit, COFFEE and hard alcohol.. I knew I had to stop drinking coffee, I was an all day coffee drinker, I prayed and asked for help and I stopped drinking it. I had a headache for 2 days or so, but I no longer drink it. I no longer take in caffeine, another heartburn culprit, If I know Im going to have a few beers at a gig or a get together I take a Zantac before hand . I had to cut out the fatty meats and eat lean meat, plenty of chicken and turkey, lots of veggies.. no more tomato sauce or raw onions, Dairy is VERY BAD for heart burn, I can eat plenty of Feta cheese, but very limited amounts of dairy cheese. I started taking Mens 1 a day,a spoonful of Honey and Cinnamon, slippery elm and Marshmallow root every day along with Braggs Apple cider Vinegar 3 times a day, and it worked! I dont suffer anymore and I am no longer under the Prilosec cloud.... If you take Prilosec or any generic brand of it and you have been suffering with depression, anxiety or iritability, well, now you know why..get off of that crap and just change your diet, you will be SO GLAD you did!:)

bertzie

Reaction score
I was blessed with an iron gut, I can eat basically anything without heartburn. I hope that never goes away, I like spicy food too much.

Scooter2112

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was blessed with an iron gut, I can eat basically anything without heartburn. I hope that never goes away, I like spicy food too much.

Same here. Thankfully NEVER have stomach problems.

Glad to hear that you've found some relief, Mike. Best wishes on staying healthy. :)

blakem

Reaction score
I LOVE SPICEY FOOD!!! Just stay thin, dont get overweight and you should be ok.

GammyBird

Reaction score
Congrats! I like it when somebody uses a natural cure for what ails them!

Even if you have an occasional flare up, it still beats eating pills every day.

GammyBird

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever had heartburn, so I guess that puts me in the iron gut category as well.

jlu52

ignoramus maximus emeritus
Reaction score
Other medicine I have to take is responsible for my GERD. Good for you, I'm SOL as far as being able to drop Prilosec. On the plus side, I don't experience the possible sides you're talking about, and I've been taking the stuff for 18 years. I do, however, agree with the idea that one should take as little medicine as one can. Less is more....

BillB1960

Reaction score
Marshmallow root? :hmm:

I didn't know marshmallows had to be grown...do they come from a marshmallow bush? :cool:

3426305794_33827350d1.jpg

nitrous12

Reaction score
Congrats! I like it when somebody uses a natural cure for what ails them!

Even if you have an occasional flare up, it still beats eating pills every day.

I completely agree!!! Way to go OP!

Caoimhin

Reaction score
I have yet to find a cure for my acid reflux.. I suffer daily.

Byron999

Reaction score
No fun waking up in the middle of the night with bile in your mouth and throat. I immediately rush to drinking a shot of a baking soda/water, I always have the image of the bile desolving my throat.

Any alcohol causes this in me so I no longer imbibe. I also found Pepcid worked better for me than Zantac. But, I need neither currently as long as I stay away from booze. :(

sixstrings

Reaction score
if 50% of the medicated usa population simply changed their diet, they would no longer need to take medication, no longer be obese and live longer with significantly lower occurances of heart disease, diabetes, cancer.

it is not that difficult to do.

Billyzakk

Reaction score
I heard taking Braggs Apple cider Vinegar was good for a lot of reasons, do you mix it all together with the Honey and Cinnamon, slippery elm and Marshmallow root

Deftone

Reaction score
if 50% of the medicated usa population simply changed their diet, they would no longer need to take medication, no longer be obese and live longer with significantly lower occurances of heart disease, diabetes, cancer.

it is not that difficult to do.

This.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
I finally stopped taking Prilosec. I suffer with GERD , High acid and heartburn due to the valve at the top of my stomach always staying open... its been a rough road, Prilosec was like a God send , if I didnt take it, within 2 or so hours I would be in total pain with awful heart burn... well the doctors wanted me to have surgery... the procedure is crazy, they wrap the top part of my stomach around my esophagus and it keeps the valve closed.. I did a lot of research and there are alot of bad side effects, No Burping or puking ever again... just sounds bad to me.. we were designed to puke if we need too..anyway, I declined the surgery, I figured I would just keep taking the Prilosec until I die. Well I never researched Prilosec and its side effects, so I decided to, I was shocked, it causes depression, anxiety, irritability it also causes osteoporosis. I then realized why I had suffered with all those side effects within the last 10 years or so.. I had no idea it was the Prilosec I was taking.... I never had had depression before, not until the last 10 years or so, it would come over me like a dark cloud...well now I know why! So I did research on foods and drinks that cause heart burn, The #1 culprit, COFFEE and hard alcohol.. I knew I had to stop drinking coffee, I was an all day coffee drinker, I prayed and asked for help and I stopped drinking it. I had a headache for 2 days or so, but I no longer drink it. I no longer take in caffeine, another heartburn culprit, If I know Im going to have a few beers at a gig or a get together I take a Zantac before hand . I had to cut out the fatty meats and eat lean meat, plenty of chicken and turkey, lots of veggies.. no more tomato sauce or raw onions, Dairy is VERY BAD for heart burn, I can eat plenty of Feta cheese, but very limited amounts of dairy cheese. I started taking Mens 1 a day,a spoonful of Honey and Cinnamon, slippery elm and Marshmallow root every day along with Braggs Apple cider Vinegar 3 times a day, and it worked! I dont suffer anymore and I am no longer under the Prilosec cloud.... If you take Prilosec or any generic brand of it and you have been suffering with depression, anxiety or iritability, well, now you know why..get off of that crap and just change your diet, you will be SO GLAD you did!:)

Take Rabeprazole (brand name: Pariet) instead. I take it and have never had any problems with side effects.

EpiLesPaul59

Reaction score
Check out rick Simpsons oil. I bet it will help lots cures everything

Strav

Banned
Reaction score
This is not about having an iron gut, when you have what the OP is talking about it is a type of hernia where part of the stomach has come up through the esophageal sphincter thus not allowing for the normal closing of the stomach and the acid within. In my case this was probably caused by years of hard partying etc. This is why surgery is an option. What prilosec does is to reduce the production of the acid. What zantac and tums or baking soda do is to neutralize the acid. Better to stop it before hand IMO.

Diet is a part of controlling this, but when this damage is done it will not just heal up.

blakem

Reaction score
This is not about having an iron gut, when you have what the OP is talking about it is a type of hernia where part of the stomach has come up through the esophageal sphincter thus not allowing for the normal closing of the stomach and the acid within. In my case this was probably caused by years of hard partying etc. This is why surgery is an option. What prilosec does is to reduce the production of the acid. What zantac and tums or baking soda do is to neutralize the acid. Better to stop it before hand IMO.

Diet is a part of controlling this, but when this damage is done it will not just heal up.

That is exactly what I have.. It can be controlled under a strict diet, and there is also some massage that can help pull the stomach back down, but one of the most important things to do is loose weight, that is a major contributor to my issue... I have talked to people who have had the surgery, there can be bad side effects from it. the esophagus tearing open, or a hole being opened up from friction.... just not anything I want to do at all.

TOMMYTHUNDERS

Reaction score
congrats on the dietary change!
i'm 16 years alcohol free, 14 years caffeine free, and 12 years meat free.... JOIN US!

Latest Threads