Affordable Double Cream Humbuckers

morbidalex666

Reaction score
There are guys out there that produce great products, offer fast dependable service and personalized experience for custom winds etc.
Sigil pickups (with his excellent sessions series), Vineham pickups and Brandonwound come to mind.
No reason whatsoever to bother with a questionable winder.

Also, if the requested double cream pickup is sold covered, there should be no problem at all.

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
What's the price range for affordable double cream pickups?
The ones I bought that are pictured in the first post cost me $69 shipped. They have vintage single conductor braided wiring, but the guy will do four conductor if you prefer. He will pretty much custom make anything you want, you can choose the magnets and bobbins, wiring, etc.

Gar

Reaction score
Bareknuckle do double cream. I have double cream mules in my les paul.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
Larry DiMarzio IS a dick. How he ever got away with that is beyond me, but once it was approved it's going to be a sonofabeetch to get rid of. I don't ever see it happening. DiMarzio has too much money to throw at his lawyers.

Uncovered double cream humbuckers on a sunburst Les Paul Standard is hands down my favorite looking guitar. I fell in love with that setup because of Joe Walsh. He had a couple Les Pauls with double creams and I thought it was so cool.

I like the uncovered pickups and no pickguard look ala Slash. To me my Historic with double cream OX4s is the best looking guitar I have. I'd love for that trademark to go away so great winders can actually make them easier and legally.

WolfeMacleod

V.I.P. Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Since we're on the subject, here's a trademark that Dimarzio is currently attempting to acquire. Cream with blade poles.
Note the red arrow. That's the same Ron Bienstock who argued that the guitar company had no trademark rights because they failed to register and protect decades ago...

You can read the entire thing here:
http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn87213400&docId=OOA20190327130417#docIndex=0&page=1

blade trademark.JPG

Here's the fun part. The trademark has been repeatedly denied. I've highlighted the good parts.
blade trademark 2.JPG

blade trademark 3.JPG

blade trademark 4.JPG

bladetrademark 5.JPG

TM1

Reaction score
I wonder what Sigil uses for magnets in his humbuckings?

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
I have a guitar that came with SIN pickups, like you i had never heard of him before i bought 2nd hand. I've thought about switching up for something else from time to time because i have lots of options in my pickup drawer..... but i never have yet. Mine are covered so i wonder whats under the hood now. They are nice pups.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a guitar that came with SIN pickups, like you i had never heard of him before i bought 2nd hand. I've thought about switching up for something else from time to time because i have lots of options in my pickup drawer..... but i never have yet. Mine are covered so i wonder whats under the hood now. They are nice pups.
You can back one of the pole screws out to see the screw coil bobbin color. To see the slug bobbin color, remove one of the brass mounting screws from underneath and look in with a flashlight. Without a flashlight, they all look black.

dju

Reaction score
to skirt the trademark problem and get a pickup wound by your favorite US winder could you buy a cheap dead double cream dimarzio and have it rewound by winder of your choice?
winders fix broken pickups all the time don't they? it might not look vintage correct from the bottom (base plate) but the exposed coils would be giving you the double cream look you want right?

just wondering.
dj

CheopisIV

Copper Slinger
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I wonder what Sigil uses for magnets in his humbuckings?
Lots of things. A2, A3, A4, A5 mostly but some Neo and Ceramic breeds exist.

to skirt the trademark problem and get a pickup wound by your favorite US winder could you buy a cheap dead double cream dimarzio and have it rewound by winder of your choice?
winders fix broken pickups all the time don't they? it might not look vintage correct from the bottom (base plate) but the exposed coils would be giving you the double cream look you want right?

just wondering.
dj
Gross! That's like borrowing underwear...

dju

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Gross! That's like borrowing underwear..."
[/QUOTE]
interesting analogy. but it would skirt the problem of making double cream pickups for the person who wants them wouldn't it?

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Couldn't the pup winder just send new pups out as "used" to get them into the U.S. ?? Seems like if you wanted double cream it wouldn't be hard.

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
The first set I bought from him years ago were what he called “Jimmy Page” models with Alnico IV magnets. I ordered them with unplated nickel covers. When he sent them, he mentioned that they were double cream underneath. I didn’t know anything about the trademark, so I did not realize the significance of it at the time. If you bought an Epi Les Paul goldtop with unplated nickel humbuckers, that might be the same guitar.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
No, mine were in a modded out Tokai LS150F. They weren't the "Jimmy Page" models as far as i know.

I found the Sin pup card. They were PAF repro's
Sin Pups 001.jpg

Last edited:

Stinky Kitty

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've requested and bought new covered DC bobbins from a few different winders, no problem.

mikekim

Reaction score
Ok, that explains a bit. I've been a happy customer of Bare Knuckle pickups based in the UK and they had no options for double cream, either, from what I can recall.
Mine came from BK.. one of the joys of not living in the US..

double cream all around...

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
I guess I should feel fortunate that I bought a 70s MIJ Lawsuit Les Paul that came with vintage 1977 DiMarzio double creams.

Deus Vult

Reaction score
Pretty sure Dimarzio dropped their suit against Sheptone. Double cream has been available from most winders forever