Aerosmith Contemplating Farewell Tour in 2017

Benjammin

Reaction score
Aren't they due for a reunion tour first? :laugh2:

Aerosmith Contemplating Farewell Tour In 2017 | Rolling Stone

Aerosmith are on a brief hiatus now as Steven Tyler gears up to promote his upcoming country album, but when they reappear next year, it might be to say goodbye. "I'm doing 30 [solo] shows from May until August," Tyler tells Rolling Stone. "And then in 2017 we go out with Aerosmith. We're probably doing a farewell tour. Look, there's two bands that still have the original members, us and the Stones. I'm grateful for that. Whether we do a farewell tour or go into the studio and do another record, I'm just excited about it."

The comments echo what Aerosmith guitarist Brad Whitford said on Eddie Trunk's podcast in December. "We are actually talking about that — about actually putting together a sort of wind-down tour which we would call the Farewell Tour," he said. "I guess it's just because of our age. You know, something's gonna happen. It's just inevitable that somebody's not gonna be able to do it anymore. So it would be very nice to take a nice long bow and say thank you and ... put it to bed kind of gracefully."

Aerosmith haven't performed in public since a September 15th, 2015 show in Moscow. Tyler has spent the time since then fine-tuning his country album, though Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry isn't thrilled by what he's heard so far. "If I didn't know him when I heard the song I'd go, 'It's okay, next,'" Perry told USA Today. "He's got a ****ing rhinestone cowboy hat going, 'Yippee ki yay.' I don't know what else to say about that."

Tyler initially responded to the dig by saying that Perry was "jealous," but he's now softened his position a bit. "I've read what Joe has said," he says. "But then I really, really, couldn't be here doing what I'm doing now if if wasn't for Joe Perry. It's a strange catch-22, but if you slow down enough you get to see it. It's a obvious as balls on a tall dog. I wouldn't be anywhere without those guys, so I'm as grateful as I can be."

If Aerosmith do opt to launch a farewell tour next year, they would be the latest in a long line of veteran rock bands to go down that route. Motley Crue allegedly signed a "cessation of touring agreement" before launching their own farewell trek in 2014 and saw their ticket sales increase by a substantial margin on the 158-date world tour that wrapped up on New Year's Eve in Los Angeles.

Many farewell tours don't actually stick, though. Everyone from Cher to Ozzy Osbourne to LCD Soundsystem have hit the road just a few years after pledging to never perform again. Aerosmith should know this since they went on a co-headlining tour with Kiss in 2003, just two years after Gene Simmons and Co. wrapped up their own farewell tour.

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better to go out on a high note. Heck, we used to cover their songs when I was in high school and I'm no spring chicken anymore.

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
I kinda thought Tyler's little foray into country and sad display on American Idol had already did that band in. I saw them on the Draw the Line tour when I was 14 and they were the 70's version of early GNR. they were still wild and you never knew what was gonna happen. No desire to see them as a bunch of non-dangerous old dudes. Same thing with GNR, BTW

Benjammin

Reaction score
that's the thing, I saw this article and thought "are they still together?"

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
They were solid until Pump. After that, Steven just got too dooshy.
Damn, that band is still so good, though!! I wish Tyler would dial it back a little. He's gone "Diamond Dave times a billion" on us. He still totally has his chops, arguably even better than when he was younger. That's a RARE thing. Every musician in that band is solid.
I wish they'd re-think this and come straight at it again. I think they could still write some good rock music, as long as they get rid of the minute-long weird sound intros to every other song.
Otherwise, yeah man....
Hang it up.

Davio

Alchemist Extraordinaire
Reaction score
They were as good as any when they were in their prime decades. Anyway, Chicago Mercantile spot futures for flesh tone crack filler are trending upwards. Probably good timing.

PapaSquash

Reaction score
I kinda thought Tyler's little foray into country and sad display on American Idol had already did that band in. I saw them on the Draw the Line tour when I was 14 and they were the 70's version of early GNR. they were still wild and you never knew what was gonna happen. No desire to see them as a bunch of non-dangerous old dudes. Same thing with GNR, BTW

Oh, we knew exactly what was gonna happen. Drunken excess. They were notoriously sloppy in the toxic twin days, but at least they were dangerous. Good for them for cleaning up, staying alive and making plenty of money, but I haven't had any use for anything since Pump.

WholeLottaIzzy

Reaction score
That'd be one band I'd love to see. First song I can remember working out by ear was Sweet Emotion.

NRBQ

Reaction score
You can build a career on farewell tours, KISS has been doing them since 1996.

Kostas.

Reaction score
...there's two bands that still have the original members, us and the Stones...
He probably forgot Brian Jones and Bill Wyman but he's old so... Both bands should have stopped ages ago (IMO). I wish I could see Perry playing a different type of music in another band. His tone, his vibrato and his choice of notes are superb but Aerosmith's predictable music along with annoying Tyler are not my style.

danohat

Reaction score
My wife saw them a couple years ago and said it was pretty disgusting watching Steven Tyler trying to be a sex symbol still. Gyrating all shirtless and whatnot.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I thought they already did that when Steven was crawling around on the floor looking for his teeth tour. I got beat on that one.

six-string

Reaction score
can't they put out at LEAST one more greatest hits package before its over?

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe in farewell tours anymore.

So many bands have had multiple farewell tours, that I just don't bite on them anymore.

Once a band member dies, then I figure their last tour was their farewell tour.

:dunno:

JimmyT

Reaction score
Saw them a couple of years ago when they headlined Download, we were all looking forward to it until they started playing. We left halfway through the second song.
I don't want to take anything away from them, age gets everyone and they're still one of my favorite rock bands. Just not an enjoyable show anymore.

Kashmir

Reaction score
I don't believe in farewell tours anymore.

So many bands have had multiple farewell tours, that I just don't bite on them anymore.

Once a band member dies, then I figure their last tour was their farewell tour.

:dunno:

Yup. I think the Eagles started that. Hell has frozen over a few times now.

LPJNoob

Reaction score
He probably forgot Brian Jones and Bill Wyman but he's old so... Both bands should have stopped ages ago (IMO). I wish I could see Perry playing a different type of music in another band. His tone, his vibrato and his choice of notes are superb but Aerosmith's predictable music along with annoying Tyler are not my style.

Lol! U2...

Latest Threads