Advice Sought: repaired R9 or R8?

comcf

Reaction score
Can't decide on this one... I can get a deal on a 2005 R9, but it has a neck repair (solid and barely visible) and no COA, but all other case candy.

OR I can get a similar deal on a 2007 R8, no repair and does come with the COA.

Same price, about 2500 on either of those.

Would appreciate any advice in terms of playability, sound, and resale value.

Thanks!

FKO

Reaction score
unless the R8 has a wonderful top or fits like a glove to your hands; for 10%-20% of the mentioned price, you could get a 13-14 R8.

rclausen

Reaction score
Play them both and decide. You will certainly be hassled less if you get the R8 should you need to sell in the future.

I think I know the R9 that you're talking about and it has a nice top and color. The neck on the R8 is going to be bigger so you need to factor that in as well

toymaker

Reaction score
Spec wise - both are practically identical - the only differences, aside from missing paperwork - is one has a more figured top (assumption on my part of course, but haven't seen too many mid 2000's R8 with flamed tops) and a serial that begins with 9 instead of 8.

So - ask yourself this - if both were R8's or R9's - and one had a major defect that was repaired solidly and one was flawless - which would you buy?

I think we know how the majority of people would answer - but your answer may be different (and that is certainly alright, as it is YOUR MONEY)..if its the one with the flashier top, the one with the finish I like better or the one that weighs least - then so be it. Of course this also assumes your buying off the net and can't play both before hand for an extended test.

Comanche

Reaction score
Spend some time with each and the right one will pick you.
It's kind of like getting a new puppy.
The right one will lick your face and pee on your shoe.

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Can't decide on this one... I can get a deal on a 2005 R9, but it has a neck repair (solid and barely visible) and no COA, but all other case candy.

OR I can get a similar deal on a 2007 R8, no repair and does come with the COA.

Same price, about 2500 on either of those.

Would appreciate any advice in terms of playability, sound, and resale value.

Thanks!

If it was just about the tone and playability(your word,brother:cool:),I would suggest you play them both to see which one is the right one for you,however,you mention resale value and that changes the equation a bit. I would lean a bit more in favor of the R8,ya know?.....

Tim Plains

Reaction score
They are very similar but not identical (if you're a LP nerd) with one being VOS and the other pre VOS. Custom Authentic? Anyways, I would play both and decide but I would also haggle on both. Many would not even consider one with a repair, so take replies here with a grain of salt.

asapmaz

Reaction score
Going by my rule of thumb that everything should be bought with the assumption that you'll sell it someday, R8, no question.

rvschulz

Reaction score
if resale value is a criteria, never buy a repaired guitar. never.

if you are going to play the bejesus out of it - the one you like to play more.

bblooz

Reaction score
Unless the repaired R9 REALLY speaks to you and you plan on keeping it forever, I'd pass. I have a couple repaired head stock pieces in my collection, but I bought them for around 50-60% of what an intact, no excuses, equivalent guitar would have cost at the time. I love them for what they are - players, not showpieces. I personally would pass on the broken R9 (white elephant) and pickup the R8. Whichever you end up with, please let us know how it worked out. Good luck. Just think how lucky we are to be in a position to drop a few grand on a guitar (more than I paid for most the used cars I've owned over the last 40 years!).

Latest Threads