Advice please on selling 71 LP deluxe

DaMixa

Reaction score
Hi
I’m going to sell my 71 Deluxe at the moment it has brilliant black p90s in it but I have the original mini hum buckers and original case.
Two questions for your collective expertise.
1.Should I remove the p90s and restore it back to original , would it be a better prospect for buyers or leave them In and sell with original pups wrapped up in the case?

2. What $$ can I expect to get for it. It’s perfect condition , all original, ch sunburst only very slight buckle rash.

Arthritis has a lot to answer for!!!

thanks in advance all

Sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only you can decide....

But for the vintage look and attractiveness You may consider restoring it to the original look, that’s if the original guitar is still. “ original” is it a refin? Are machine heads changed and missing? There are all Kinds of factors....

DaMixa

Reaction score
Hi yes you’re right but as it’s my first ever guitar sale and the last guitar I bought was 10 years ago I need some advice on market conditions
It hasn’t been played for over 5 years now, destrung in its case All original, no refinishing, no missing bits , all original bits from 71.

rustypaul

Reaction score
It depends. On a guitar like that, you aren't likely to get a premium for the "upgraded" pups - though they might persuade an otherwise hesitant buyer. Personally, I'd leave them in and sell with the originals in the case, because they might quicken the process. But if you are looking to maximize value, restore the guitar to original and sell the p-90s separately (assuming you can do it yourself).

Just remember, the best thing you can do is provide a lot really good, easily accessible pictures and all the information to all the questions that you know are coming. How do you know it's a '71? Are the pot codes visible? Is it all finish original? Has anything else been changed? If so, to what? What's it weigh? What's the neck profile like? Does the truss road work? Is the neck straight? neck measurements? Any cracks, dings, dents, etc.? Ever had any routes, breaks, repairs?

I don't want to speculate on what you should ask - it entirely depends on the answers to those questions.

DaMixa

Reaction score
@rustypaul
Thanks Paul, I would not have thought to weigh it!!

Thats really valuable info thank you. I cant put the pups back myself but might get it done.

I know its a 70-71 from the headstock serial. The pots date from 61. Original finish, no cracks or breaks ever. Wouldnt know if the truss rod works , never opened its cover. and not a single thing has been changed from original. Dont think its been routed as the p90s dont need it (So ive been told) I did once ask Gibson why I had 61 pots in a 71 guitar. They said the early Deluxes 70-71 will have had pots that were "laying about" hence my 1961 pots.

Thanks again. Ill clean it up and get some pics taken

blee57

Reaction score
I would restore it to original and sell the p90's later on. You won't get extra for it in the condition its in and it adds additional work for the end user to restore it. If it has the original case in good shape with the original case handle makes it worth that much more. The original Purple or possibly yellow lined cases fetch a premium on their own. I have paid almost 500.00 for an original yellow lined case with original handle. The original case handle is black with Faux white stitching. If it has an all black handle, it has been replaced. You should be able to get 2500-3000 plus for the guitar if its all original. depends on demand. I recently paid 4500.00 for a 71 Black Custom with original case. ( note: I tracked down the owner and made a deal outside the usual sites and saved about 700.00 in fee's and taxes.)The guitar had hardly been played and was in pristine shape with the original owners manual.. Worth much more than the higher priced cousins I had seen on Reverb and Ebay. Those two sites have raised their fee's and are collecting taxes for the government now. So the buyers on these sites are shying away from the extra 10 percent added to the prices to cover these fee's, not to mention another 7-10% in state tax, Reverb just raised their commission to 5% plus Pay Pal or Reverb finance charges 0f 3%. It's very hard to find buyers without these sites. Try listing it here to find a buyer. Craigs list might work but you will immediately get a lot of scammers, so don't believe or fall for someone promising to purchase and be aware of your meeting place, try a neutral crowded meeting place with that sort of sale. List all the highlights of your guitar and your case and if you have the original owners manual, they are fetching 100.00 plus on ebay. market all of the extras with the guitar, it will make it much more desirable. Bruce

Last edited:

DaMixa

Reaction score
@blee57 Yes its a purple lining with what looks like original handles on case. Ill drag out some pics and put them on.
Thanks for the advice all, appreciated.

DaMixa

Reaction score
I love it but I just cant bend those strings anymore , even with 6's its in a lot better shape than I am.:lol:

judson

Reaction score
:wow:i want it.......

save some money and aggravation and put it up in the MLP classifieds, i am sure someone will buy it.....oh wait this is the classifieds....ok we just need a price

do you know what P90s are in there?

cavity pics would be great.....weight im betting 9 to 10lbs minimum , not concerned really

Last edited:

Dee Bone

Reaction score
Get values from 2020 vintage buyers guide. I’d restore to original form since the condition is clean with ohsc. A 71’ can fetch good coin...

Latest Threads