Advice on upgrades for a 2020 Epiphone LP Special?

DrBGood

Reaction score
I am changing the pickups because they just don't sound good. They're muddy to my ear.
Hmmm ... first time I hear of ...any P90's ... sounding muddy.

Did you try adjusting their height ? Badly adjusted pickups is often the main reason why people don't like them. P90's are VERY sensitive to height adjustment. All it takes is screwdriver to make the most effeicient, cheap and fastest mod on any electric guitar.

EDIT
I just looked at your video on that guitar and what I see is a low bridge P90, it needs to be closer to strings to give it its best. The neck is the other way, at that height it is boomy, it needs to come down to find its sweet spot.

If you put the new ones you ordered at the same heights, there's s good chance you'll be disapointed with those too.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Hmmm ... first time I hear of ...any P90's ... sounding muddy.

Did you try adjusting their height ? Badly adjusted pickups is often the main reason why people don't like them. P90's are VERY sensitive to height adjustment. All it takes is screwdriver to make the most effeicient, cheap and fastest mod on any electric guitar.

EDIT
I just looked at your video on that guitar and what I see is a low bridge P90, it needs to be closer to strings to give it its best. The neck is the other way, at that height it is boomy, it needs to come down to find its sweet spot.

If you put the new ones you ordered at the same heights, there's s good chance you'll be disapointed with those too.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply, and for taking the time to watch the video. Maybe muddy wasn't the best term? The guitar isn't as "clear" sounding as my Gibson Special (which admittedly has the different Gibson P90S pickups --- S stands for slugs because it uses those instead of screw poles).

I dialed in the pickup height if I remember right, but I will revist it when I have some time.

I should also say the guitar sounds fine... not a thing wrong with it, and the pickup swap is as much for something to do as it is to find a better sound. Modding stuff is fun!

Lester

Reaction score
thanks I had a feeling the 3 on a plate wouldn’t fit but wasn’t sure.
I think the hipshot are the only possible option. I seem to recall a vintage series with posts that would fit the Epi. Otherwise I think you might need to ream. FWIW, nothing is more vintage than an early LP with upgraded tuners. Just sayin'.

As for the bridge, those intonate fine IME. But, they are made of a poor zinc alloy AFAIK. Something in steel or aluminum would conduct sound better... but aluminum is usually $$$.

BUT, it looks to me like your string spacing is off on that bridge. If they are in the grooves, and that's true, you'd need to recut the grooves or replace. I just replaced an Epi lightning bolt bridge for that reason. I went with a Pigtail style (Wilkinson). I like the adjustability... i don't really like the look. One upside is that it weighs significantly more than the lightning bolt bridge and it balances the guitar better.

EDIT: Visual on a EPI flat top with pigtail: https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/any-love-still-out-there-for-epi-sl-and-projects.445407/page-2#post-9766539

Last edited:

saxosim

Reaction score
Play it as is or buy a used Gibson.
I have owned many Gibsons over the years already and love them but am unfortunately not in the position to be able to buy one again currently so I am making the best I can of this one which is excellent overall I just wanted to make a few improvements.

saxosim

Reaction score
I think the hipshot are the only possible option. I seem to recall a vintage series with posts that would fit the Epi. Otherwise I think you might need to ream. FWIW, nothing is more vintage than an early LP with upgraded tuners. Just sayin'.

As for the bridge, those intonate fine IME. But, they are made of a poor zinc alloy AFAIK. Something in steel or aluminum would conduct sound better... but aluminum is usually $$$.

BUT, it looks to me like your string spacing is off on that bridge. If they are in the grooves, and that's true, you'd need to recut the grooves or replace. I just replaced an Epi lightning bolt bridge for that reason. I went with a Pigtail style (Wilkinson). I like the adjustability... i don't really like the look. One upside is that it weighs significantly more than the lightning bolt bridge and it balances the guitar better.

EDIT: Visual on a EPI flat top with pigtail: https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/any-love-still-out-there-for-epi-sl-and-projects.445407/page-2#post-9766539
thanks I wondered that too. I have just ordered a lightening wraparound CWT60 bridge from Dan at Mojoaxe so will see how I get on with that fitted instead.

Fair point on the tuners, I will probably just leave them as is although I don’t mind reaming the holes of need be if I do change them down the road. Thanks

Jungle

Reaction score
This Epi Special is nice, only long bridge screws need to be changed with short ones, M3 x 10 size.

Latest Threads