Advice on truss rod length

andy007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm working on my second neck through build. This will be an "LP Style" body but with a radical headstock so I cannot have the truss rod adjustment at the nut. I am going to use a spoke nut truss rod from Allied Lutherie. Initially, I was going to place the adjustment wheel just past the 22nd fret. However, this being an "LP Style" body, the body-neck joint is at the 16th fret and I thought it would be unwise to have the truss rod extend much further past the 16th fret. Now I'm thinking about locating the adjustment wheel between the 17th and 18th frets. My thought is that the neck is so thick after it meets the body that the truss rod would have no effect on that part of the neck anyway.

Looking at the Bartlett 59 plans I see the truss rod runs from the nut to the 21st fret. I'm not building that guitar but I'm taking design elements from it. The truss rod on the 59 is set much deeper in the neck and there are other design differences so I can't compare apples to apples. Also, the Allied truss rod will be installed directly under the fretboard and not recessed way deep into the neck.

I'm either going to place the adjustment wheel after the 22nd fret or after the 17th fret. I can get the truss rod in any length so I have options. I can't link to this image directly but if you want to see an example of what I'm talking about follow this link and scroll down to the truss rod section. There is a pic of a fretboard with a spoke nut adjustment wheel just past the 22nd fret.

http://www.fastguitars.com/guitars/features/

I'm taking design cues from this pic and that's how I came up with locating the adjustment wheel on my guitar between the 17th and 18th frets. I don't have the design experience to determine the best length. I'm hoping someone with more knowledge and experience can give me an opinion on this.

ARandall

Reaction score
Put the adjustment where it makes most sense from an 'easy to adjust + aesthetic out of the way' point of view.

Vintage Strats have their adjustment at the heel but the body/neck join not too dissimilar to a LP.

WezV

Reaction score
I would go 22nd for aesthetics.

The heel section won’t move, but the rest will still work fine

andy007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks - going with the 22nd fret option then.

Latest Threads