Advice on this 75 deluxe :)

gtrplayr1976

Reaction score
Did you ask him about the high e string being so close to the edge of the board? It might just be the pic angle but it looks like it would be a bitch to play without the string slipping off. Great looking colour on that top though. I noticed the seller has sold quite a few vintage guits recently. The other 78 deluxe he sold cheaper and it looked to be in great condition. It might be worth trying to drop the price a little.

The wording in the advert doesn't sound like an Aussie wrote it. It might be a good idea to ask for his number and give him a call.

Funny. I had a 75 Standard I bought new (although I bought it in 77) The bridge was off a little ,and they compensated by cutting more slots in the bridge. Still wasn't right.

Chum

Reaction score
In the process of contacting gibson to validate the authenticity (its what one of the other buyers did and gibson helped out a lot). I think the E string is just in the picture, my other guitars e strings look the same.

Only thing is the off colour neck? Cherry burst neck on tobacco body... did Gibson ever make this mistake with guitars in the 70s? Owner said

"Hi. Yes somehow the neck has cherry finish. But I believe it's no repair as pots date and pickups are matching serial year.
I assume 70s Gibson job were not as accurate as nowadays.
Very odd and rare. Thanks. "

Dodgy or possibly correct?

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
In the process of contacting gibson to validate the authenticity (its what one of the other buyers did and gibson helped out a lot). I think the E string is just in the picture, my other guitars e strings look the same.

Only thing is the off colour neck? Cherry burst neck on tobacco body... did Gibson ever make this mistake with guitars in the 70s? Owner said

"Hi. Yes somehow the neck has cherry finish. But I believe it's no repair as pots date and pickups are matching serial year.

If anything it's more likely that the top has been darkened on the edges during a refin to create the tobacco look rather than a neck replacement. Maybe someone changed it from a cherry burst into tobacco?:dunno:

dlmorley

Reaction score
Looks great to me. I'd say the photos exaggerate any difference between front and back (plus fading on the front would add to this)
I had a 75 pro deluxe and it was a great guitar. Much lighter than later ones it seemed.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score

The pots and pickups have no bearing on the issue. If the guitar has had a reneck, that will not necessarily change the body components, and the guy using that as a line of reasoning seems a little suspicious to me.

Run the number by Gibson and see what they have to say. Pay attention to the finish they tell you was on it. It could be bad lighting, reneck, refin on the body, or (least likely, it looks good to me) a fake.

Run the serial to Gibson and see what they tell you.

Chum

Reaction score
I sent the info to gibson and they have confirmed its authenticity. Also turns out the body is actually cherry burst with the edges darkened and not tobacco burst. The red in the middle indicates this.

Not sure if this was a refinish or it came like that. Can anyone elaborate on this? Either way its unique or rare and looks awesome! So close to this purchase now!

dlmorley

Reaction score
Having looked at it some more, I say grab it! Looks very cool and the price is fair.

Latest Threads