Advice on this 75 deluxe :)

Chum

Reaction score
Hello, after many years of playing fender I'm deciding to go to the les paul to get a fatter tone to suit the style of bands I'm playing in. I had no knowledge of Les Pauls apart from hearing them from my favourite players and in a bunch of gigs. Their tone melted my heart everytime! I now have an idea between most of the models and the changes made over time.

I've always loved vintage looking/sounding guitars (my strat is a vintage relic 60's model) and with some research I've found the deluxe will suit me most. The mini humbuckers to give the brightness for some of the funky stuff I play and still being able to bring some fat riffs. This one I found on ebay is also my favourite finish, seems to have a classic simple look that I love.

Can anyone give me some advice from this page about this guitar. Its worn, may need refret but does it look genuine (serial and neck seem to match the 1975 specs) and it also seems a bit overpriced. Any feedback would be appreciated. I look forward to getting my les paul and becoming an active member on these forums! Cheers

1975 Vintage Gibson Les Paul Deluxe in tobacco sunburst finish | eBay

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I can't comment on Aussie pricing, but that's a nice guit. For a long time -- 15 years -- my #1 was a 73 DeLuxe, and they are indeed very versatile guitars, thanks to the pickups.

I'm not sure why you think that one is in need of a refret. The wide/flat frets of the era took wear pretty well. The back is a tad rough but the front looks very nice.

Chum

Reaction score
Cheers, I only meant it 'may' need a refret due to the amount of gigging its apparantly had. I dont mind the rough back, just makes me care less when inevitable dinging occurs. Infact I prefer a worn look, like its been around the block with a bit of history. Also in terms of neck style, where does the deluxe stand between the 50-60s style?

acstorfer

Reaction score
Is there any way you can try it out? Minis are really love or hate type pickups.

Chum

Reaction score
I play a lot of lead stuff and from everything I've heard and read the mini hums are more stuied to jazzy cleaner playing. But many people have solved this by switching to a P90 pickup which is a direct fit afaik. So I have that option should the tone not be creamy enough for my liking.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Minis fit many different styles. I used mine for everything from metal to jazz and pop, and a little funk too.

As for the neck, it's my understanding that by 75 the neck had thinned quite a bit. My 73 was beefy but not overly so, certainly not as much as my SG with its 50s profile -- the LP was shallow, with less shoulder, whereas the SG was more D.

budd

Reaction score
That's not a bad price at all despite all the wear and tear. The only thing that strikes me as odd is that the body looks like a faded tobacco but the neck looks like it's from a cherry burst. Might just be the lighting.

Either way they are awesome guitars and if you don't gel with the minis, through in some P90s and you'll have an awesome sounding guitar.

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The condition looks fine for a guitar thats almost 40 years old

Chum

Reaction score
Thankyou so much for the fast feedback in a short amount of time! Im going to my local music shop in a few days to play some LPs to get a better feel of the differences between neck styles, weighting etc. If the weight feels fine for live playing then I may purchase this sexy beast. Do the necks usually match in colour to the body? Might be the lighting as Budd has stated but I hope its not from an old repair that hasnt been stated.

I still get an inkling that the price might be too high? I know its vintage and all but I've seen a few that are a little cheaper and less worn. But I really want the tobacco finish like this and can't find any anywhere.

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thankyou so much for the fast feedback in a short amount of time! Im going to my local music shop in a few days to play some LPs to get a better feel of the differences between neck styles, weighting etc. If the weight feels fine for live playing then I may purchase this sexy beast. Do the necks usually match in colour to the body? Might be the lighting as Budd has stated but I hope its not from an old repair that hasnt been stated.

I still get an inkling that the price might be too high? I know its vintage and all but I've seen a few that are a little cheaper and less worn. But I really want the tobacco finish like this and can't find any anywhere.

the color matches ob the guitar, its just that the lighting in the photos is not good

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
tobacco examples usually go for a little more money

acstorfer

Reaction score

Does the local shop have any 75's for you to try out? If not, by comparing modern LP's to 70's LP's, well that's apples and oranges. The weight will be very different, well possibly very different. The neck specs will be quite different and the sound will be very different to modern humbuckers. While there are MANY lovers of minis, just remember why so many of these guitars got routed out to fit full humbuckers.

Don't get me wrong, my two favorite LP's were Deluxes, I even still have one for my one and only, but there are a lot of things different between those, especially with a maple neck, and what there is today.

Good luck on your purchase, hope you get the greatest guitar ever!

gtrplayr1976

Reaction score
Love that burst. Looks like Duanes except for minibuckers. Is that bridge pup reversed ?

Chum

Reaction score
Does the local shop have any 75's for you to try out? If not, by comparing modern LP's to 70's LP's, well that's apples and oranges. The weight will be very different, well possibly very different. The neck specs will be quite different and the sound will be very different to modern humbuckers. While there are MANY lovers of minis, just remember why so many of these guitars got routed out to fit full humbuckers.

Don't get me wrong, my two favorite LP's were Deluxes, I even still have one for my one and only, but there are a lot of things different between those, especially with a maple neck, and what there is today.

Good luck on your purchase, hope you get the greatest guitar ever!

I'm not 100% if they do, but I know them pretty well so they should help me out and give me solid advice and show me the closest stuff they have if not. They know their stuff and can help out with swapping to p90s or even the trickier full humbucker routing should I decide to go that way.

There is something about that vintage tobacco sunburst that draws me in! The advice given here is sooooo helpful though, most forums I've been on are mostly pointless abusing and whatnot. Thanks guys!

Chum

Reaction score
Hi, got a reply from the seller in regards to the cherry neck.

"
Hi. Yes somehow the neck has cherry finish. But I believe it's no repair as pots date and pickups are matching serial year.
I assume 70s Gibson job were not as accurate as nowadays.
Very odd and rare. Thanks. "

Did this happen occassionally or is something dodgy going on?

Chum

Reaction score
Also found out that its had a refret. I would have expected that at its age, but is it anything to concern myself with? Im just a young guitarist who wants a vintage les paul to stand out from all the other bands I see who have fenders 99% of the time! Plus les paul tone makes me cry with joy!

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
Did you ask him about the high e string being so close to the edge of the board? It might just be the pic angle but it looks like it would be a bitch to play without the string slipping off. Great looking colour on that top though. I noticed the seller has sold quite a few vintage guits recently. The other 78 deluxe he sold cheaper and it looked to be in great condition. It might be worth trying to drop the price a little.

The wording in the advert doesn't sound like an Aussie wrote it. It might be a good idea to ask for his number and give him a call.

Latest Threads