Advice on smoothing nitro imperfection safely

KS 5150

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for some help from the experts here. I have a mint 2013 Les Paul Traditional with a very interesting top. Recently I've noticed that, near the toggle switch, it appears some nitro has sank into a spot where there is an imperfection in the wood. It's a very slight, smooth almost dent, although different from when an impact to the finish causes a dent in the finish.
It's a very minor thing, but drives me crazy since I noticed it a couple of weeks ago. This is the one Gibson I have that is immaculate, without any marks or dings, & I'd like to keep it that way as much as possible.
I wanted to see if there is a safe way to try to smooth out the nitro. I've tried Gibson pump polish, which didn't seem to make a difference. I was considering Meguiars Scratch X, as I already have some, and much of the research I've done seems to indicate it might work, and would be safe on the finish. I also have the Virtuoso Polish, but can't seem to find the Virtuoso Cleaner in stock anywhere locally. Any advice that could be offered if you have some experience with the products named would be greatly appreciated. This is the guitar in question. You can see the small divot directly below the camera flash to the side of the toggle switch selector. Thanks in advance for your assistance:

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
Do not use Meguiars Scratch X.

Use Meguiars #7 Show car glaze.

It will do the trick but you have to work hard at it since this is a super micro fine polish.

Latest Threads