Advice on my first LP...

MorphineNoir

Reaction score
I am really interested in an Alpine White LP Custom and found one I can get a great deal on through a dealer I know (I have always wanted an Alpine White LP Custom)

However, it is 11 lbs. 6 oz.

I know LP's are known to be heavy but this seems very heavy

For some background, I am not a gigging musician - I write and record at home and play guitar sitting down

Based on that, should the guitar's weight even be a concern for me?

Thoughts? Tips? Advice?

Thank you and be well

MorphineNoir

Reaction score
You’ve got to try it in person and see if you like it. Personally I wouldn’t want something that heavy, but you wouldn’t know till you tried.

Unfortunately, my buddy is in a state halfway across the country so I would be buying it without playing it (I could return it but, I would not want to do that to him)

redcoats1976

Reaction score
can you get to a local store and try a few and see if the heavy ones are too heavy?i would try them standing up with a strap too in case later on you get tired of sitting down.i had a 13 pound LP that i had to let go...it was too damn heavy.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heavy Lesters do not bother me as I wear em on a strap whether standing or sitting so my hands/wrists/etc. are in the same place same angle every time....

W I D E and THICK leather straps.... I wear my Lesters a bit higher too.... Never understood buds that hung heavy Lesters low on narrow ass synthetic straps... That is a lot of free swinging weight... Something is gonna give over time... Maybe that's why they stand funny now that we're older.... ;)

If you want it, buy it. Get a wide ass strap though...

edro.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had a base custom that was nearly 14lbs. I hated playing it. I’m a fit person but that thing was an anchor and dig into my trap muscle. That’s a little lighter but that still twice what most electric guitars weight - keep that in mind. There is a sound because of that, that you get.

I would only buy a reissue, 57, or 68 custom shop. They are better made, have better woods, and they are typically 9 lbs or less. That’s me.

If this is a really good deal, say under $3000 and in good condition, maybe.

The Axcess customs are worth looking at too.

jbash

Reaction score
I can't and don't play sitting and I have had a couple back surgeries, so weight is a big factor for me. I prefer under 9, but I can deal with 9.5-ish.

That said if I was only sitting, I'm not sure I'd mind extra weight. I don't really know. I do know I wouldn't want to spend that kind of $ without trying it first.

Tonally, really heavy ones tend to be darker and more midrange focused, but that is not always the case.

Peter M

Reaction score
Over 10 lbs. is a heavy guitar, even in the Les Paul arena. But you won't know for sure if it will be an issue for you until you try it out.

11+ is quite the hefer.

gball

Reaction score
Personally I go looking for the heavy ones. I've owned enough Les Pauls over the years to know my preference very well and I really do think the heavier ones feel and sound better. I say go for it, especially if you are mostly sitting down. I stand while playing and still won't go for lighter ones, I just use a real wide strap.

Findthetone

Reaction score
I used to love the heavier Les Pauls, but as the bastard we call age creeps in and back problems pop up I find myself gravitating towards the 8-9 pound ones. 11 pounds is pretty heavy but if you don't think it would bother you go for it. I'd get a wide padded strap for it though.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have some heifers of singlecuts and I'm a little woman. I almost always play sitting and they don't bother me. If I want to play standing I have lighter singlecuts and other guitars like SGs, semi hollows, etc.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I don't know why but customs often weigh more than Standards and it's true for Gibson and MIJ brands. 3 of my 4 guitars that are in the 10-11lb range are customs.

gball

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone - I am going to have to go to a local shop and play some LP's of varying weights and see how they feel to me

Great idea.

And keep this in mind - go pick up a 10lb. dumbbell in the gym: it feels like nothing. The weight is really not that big an issue.

Latest Threads