Advice on getting a Les paul junior

dave294

Reaction score
hey guys, its been a while!
i need some advice on something. im looking to get a new guitar and i was considering a les paul junior special with humbuckers.

i play a lot of funk and chords so cleans are important. for the price(~470) i have no problem changing the pickups(maybe even the neck to a single coil as i love strat tone). but i also like metal, blues, jazz and rock so its good it has humbuckers on a mahogany body.

anyway anyone own one of these?
hows the quality? how are the frets? the spacing? (i like being able to play funky chords on the high frets of the last 3 strings)
would it be massacre to put a single coil in the neck?(its fairly easy theres adaptors)

or should i just stick with a strat?
the one i was looking is a 60s stratocaster, finished in nitro, vintage radius (7.25), vintage low frets(good for chords), 3 single coil pickups. but its more pricey ~765ish

opinions and advice welcome :)
no guitar stores around have these guitars for me to try them out.

Reaction score
dave - i own a special with p90s (single coils!). believe you me, your 9 chords will ring with clarity! if you like strats typically, i would try out some specials with the 60s slim neck. they can also grind out some heavy stuff to if you let them. great guitars. good luck!

christophervolume-albums-live-shots-picture40997-2009.jpg

christophervolume-albums-live-shots-picture40996-winter-2009.jpg

Larry Mal

Reaction score
OK, my girlfriend is asleep and I can write a little more. I owned a new Gibson Les Paul Junior Special with two P90s, as you know. I still own a Firebird with P90s, an ES330 with them as well as the Junior. I like P90s.

I don't really like humbuckers, and one of the reasons why I don't is because I like Fender chime and clean.

Regardless, though, the P90 isn't very close to what Fender type pickups are like. They're good, but they have what is usually described as a "growl" or "bite", they can be kind of a bluesy pickup, for lack of a better word. They take to distortion great, and they are an all around great pickup.

But you're talking funk, and while the P90 can do good chime and crisp (especially if you roll the volume off a bit), I haven't ever really thought of them for funk. Everything you've described to me sounds more like you'd be better off with the Strat, really. That's where you get your funk sounds, in my opinion.

I mean, though, any guitar can do anything, really. I'd hate to dissuade you from a Les Paul Junior Special.

River

Reaction score
A Special's not going to sound like a Strat no matter what pickups you put in it, at least not unless you move the pickup positions. I have the Godin equivalent of a Special (w/P-90s), and it can sound kinda like a Strat, but that's only because the bridge pickup is much further from the bridge than it would be on a Gibson.

Reaction score
i'm not saying that the special/junior will sound like a strat. it won't. but you can easily get classic funk tones out of them.

dave294

Reaction score
dave - i own a special with p90s (single coils!). believe you me, your 9 chords will ring with clarity! if you like strats typically, i would try out some specials with the 60s slim neck. they can also grind out some heavy stuff to if you let them. great guitars. good luck!

thanks for the advice, sounds pretty enticing. neck profile is pretty important so i think i'll go try out a special at guitar center after work tonight. Seems like a solid guitar for the price. if it wasnt that im looking for a main guitar, i wouldnt even think about it

OK, my girlfriend is asleep and I can write a little more. I owned a new Gibson Les Paul Junior Special with two P90s, as you know. I still own a Firebird with P90s, an ES330 with them as well as the Junior. I like P90s.

I don't really like humbuckers, and one of the reasons why I don't is because I like Fender chime and clean.

Regardless, though, the P90 isn't very close to what Fender type pickups are like. They're good, but they have what is usually described as a "growl" or "bite", they can be kind of a bluesy pickup, for lack of a better word. They take to distortion great, and they are an all around great pickup.

But you're talking funk, and while the P90 can do good chime and crisp (especially if you roll the volume off a bit), I haven't ever really thought of them for funk. Everything you've described to me sounds more like you'd be better off with the Strat, really. That's where you get your funk sounds, in my opinion.

I mean, though, any guitar can do anything, really. I'd hate to dissuade you from a Les Paul Junior Special.

thanks alot. i think id definitively dig a lp junior but the classic funk tone is pretty important, so thanks for your advice. i guess i'll try and play some juniors and strats and see what i decide....sucks i cant play the actual models.

thanks everyone!
if i feel impulsive i might just buy a jr....for the price i can enjoy it and probably get close to breaking even if i sell it

Larry Mal

Reaction score
Yeah, you can, actually. I bought mine new for $600 and sold it for $525. It was pretty much brand new still, but there you have it.

So, I own the Junior, and it's only a year and a half old. I owned the Junior Special, it was brand new as of Christmas. Both had the slim type necks, the Junior Special was a little more round feeling in the hand.

Both of them played great, sounded great.

I'd recommend you get a Junior Special, you'll probably find a lot to like about it, and if you aren't familiar with P90s yet, then you should into them... Gibson's other legendary pickup.

For the record, I also love the Fender vintage necks with the 7.25" radius and the slim frets. I don't think you'd go wrong with that Strat, either.

Larry Mal

Reaction score
Here's the one I had with the Junior that I still have, in Pelham blue:

I had the capo on there so that I could verify that the nut needed some work done to it... the only flaw I found on the whole instrument, and that's really just a routine part of maintenance. The Plek job sucked, the nut slots weren't cut deeply enough.

But otherwise, a great guitar. It had the baked maple on there, which is a very nice fingerboard.

Ricklee

Reaction score
Well guys i need help.. im from Malaysia and im thinking of ordering a Gibson Les paul jr special p90.. but i've heard that Gibson has QC issues and from where im from they dont sell gibsons in stores. Is quality for this model consistent?? should i risk it?

Latest Threads