Advice on first tube amp?

ed1996

Reaction score
So I’m thinking of getting my first all tube amp. The problem is that I play a lot of styles, and need lots of different sounds. Two or more channels would be nice but I also kinda like the idea of having a clean sound and getting my dirt from pedals. I’d like to go from pristine clean to vintagey crunch to chugging metal and soaring leads. Is that too much to ask?

How much would you like to spend?
$800/$1500 AUD

What's the absolutely most you will spend?
$1700 AUD

How many years have you played guitar?
5 years

Do you seek tone quality or versatility?
Both, but versatility is more important.

What is your primary guitar (include pup type and configuration)?
Les paul studio, with 490R and 498T pickups.

What style(s) of music do you primarily play?
Jazz, Blues, Punk, Metal and Weird sh*t.

What one guitarist do you wish to emulate?
Myself.

Do you prefer to plug straight in, or will you be using effects?
I will be using a couple of effects, a fuzz and delay.

What will be the primary use of the amp?
bedroom/living room
jam with friends (guitars only)
jam with friends (guitars, bass, drums, etc.)
gigs (small venues)

Do you prefer a combo or head/cabinet (and why)?
Either, but the cost of the cab should be added to the overall price.

What amplifier(s) do you have/had and why do you want a change?
Vox VT50. This amp has served me well but I’m looking for better clean tones and a proper tube amp.

Please list five amps (minimum) that you have researched (if you can't do this, you're not serious)
Blackstar HT Club 40 ($1000) – Seems to be the most versatile, might not have the oomph I need.
Peavey Classic 50 212 ($1200) – Has very good reviews, but I don’t know if it’ll cover metal very well.
Marshall MA100C ($1190) – It’s a Marshall! But it’s not a “proper” Marshall. Also it has mixed reviews.
Peavey Valve King 100 ($800) – It’s very affordable but I’ve read bad reviews.
Orange Dual Terror with 212 open back cab ($1669) - Read great reviews but it’s very expensive and I don’t know about the clean headroom.

Please don’t tell me to “Just try as many as you can” because I will. I’m just looking for your opinions.:thumb:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
The Orange TH30 (Thunder 30), has a nice clean with lots of headroom and some great gain as well. I was just messing around with the Tiny, Dark and Dual Terror the other day at the Music Store and I really did like the Dark Terror, but everyone of those did not really have a lot of clean headroom. I went there to see if they had a TH30 to play, but since none were in stock, I messed around with the Terror's and still just wish they had some more clean headroom. The Gain on the Dark Terror was very sweet and I overall liked it much more than the Tiny or Dual Terror.

I have my eyes open for a TH30 maybe somewhere down the line, (I like that it has more tone controls than the Terrors.) but I also have my eyes maybe on a custom Phaez 36w Duphonic. I still have a lot of time before I make a decision on my next all tube head, so I will just keep thinking about what I really want, it will happen some day.

Rhust

Reaction score
reviews are a waste, in most cases... sound is very subjective...

you are asking for a large range and that's fine... esp since you are willing to use pedals...

Blackstar HT Club 40 ($1000) – Seems to be the most versatile, might not have the oomph I need.
Peavey Classic 50 212 ($1200) – Has very good reviews, but I don’t know if it’ll cover metal very well.
Marshall MA100C ($1190) – It’s a Marshall! But it’s not a “proper” Marshall. Also it has mixed reviews.
Peavey Valve King 100 ($800) – It’s very affordable but I’ve read bad reviews.
Orange Dual Terror with 212 open back cab ($1669) - Read great reviews but it’s very expensive and I don’t know about the clean headroom.

you seem to be looking at a little bigger amps... where this might "hurt" you is your bedroom playing... hard to get a good tube tone at a low volume with a big ass(30 -100w) amp...

I like the blackstars, I'd say they have a more modern tone

Peavey makes great amps for gigging musicians at a great price...

the peavey classic series I'd say can do more than you think the classic 30 is big enough for small gigs, and enough gain for classic metal(priest, early metallica, etc) and imo really nails the 70s stuff... one of the best amp series made.

the peavey 6505 is one left off that is another badass amp... might not get you the cleans you want though...

peavey windsor too... very plexi-ish..

these last 2 are a little bigger than you might want... the down side of the nice peaveys is they are kinda huge for smaller stuff... don't get hung up on wattage.. 30-50 watts is a LOT more than people realize... the upside is they are also less expensive than their bigger name competitors, leaving budget for something small just to fill in for bedroom small jams...

you might also really like the Jet City amps...

one last thing... if I was going to start gigging again, and looking at other amps in the 30-100 watt range... I'd probably get a classic 30 and be done with it. if it can't do it, there's a pedal that you can pair with it that can.... I'd still look, but I remember the one I had, and some days wish I still had it.

12watt

Reaction score
Hard to pick for someone else but flying blind I'd say look at Blackstar.
40 watts can be pretty loud. If you need more grunt, use an extension cab.

TOMMYTHUNDERS

Reaction score
i should also note that i own this amp and have used it in punk and hardcore bands with different tones for each.

ed1996

Reaction score
What do you guys think of the Jet City JCA50H with the JCA24S cab?

joshatatlasstands

Reaction score
The Rude Mood Amp should be a consideration! Amazing design, AND you can talk with the builder right here on MLP

:)

ed1996

Reaction score
I don't know of they would be within my budget.

ed1996

Reaction score
If I got a fender I'd probably need a pedal for heavier tones. What pedal would you recommend?

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
my mate - who sounds like this, if you squint you can hear a guitar occasionally - Plyci's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

swears by his Blackstar. without pedals, the peavey classic won't do it, but WITH pedals will be awesome. I haven't tried any of the others, but you're on the right track. If you want to get your dirt from the amp, either the blackstar or marshall will do it. If you want clean, then dirt with pedals, the peavey classic or a fender hot rod deluxe will be your friend.

good luck!

cherryles

Reaction score
Perhaps you have seen this review of the blackstar studio 20 and club 40, if not then it's a good demo :thumb:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW4HlT-ZOPo]Blackstar Venue Series combos at Andertons - HT Studio 20 & HT Club 40 - YouTube[/ame]

22Frets

Reaction score
You can take all of those questions and sum them up in one. What do you like? What sound do you want to put out?

Go to a store and try them. Get the one you like!!!

Don't over-complicate it.

River

Reaction score
I don't know of they would be within my budget.
Not as stated, no. But not that far away, either.

I see people buying, selling, and trading amps here right and left. Buying the right one from the git-go saves a lot of money.

ed1996

Reaction score
is it very difficult to get Mesa amps in australia? a Mesa Boogie Lonestar or Stiletto sounds like it may be what you're looking for, a used one should fall within your budget as well
Mesas cost an absolute fortune here in Aus.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
If I got a fender I'd probably need a pedal for heavier tones. What pedal would you recommend?
Hmm, I don't see you with a Blackstar, but a Boss ML-2 Metal Core pedal would do you just fine I'm thinking. I use the core pedal setting on my Boss ME 70 for a lot of my Drop D stuff and anything Metal, which sounds very sweet on my amp. I run my amps drive on 3, which has just a little bite and cleans up nicely when I back down the guitar volume, then run my master volume on 1/2 which is the start of my sweet spot and the core pedal sounds totally awesome. I can switch my wattage back to 7w and jam in the bedroom and then 15w for practice or gigging. I do the 15w at 1/2 to almost 3/4 in my bedroom when no one is at home, and then my ears ring for a couple of hours but I am very happy afterwards.

The Peavey Classic 50 has some great clean headroom and does the Classic Rock tone very nicely, and it is very, very loud. You put a Boss ML-2 Metal Core pedal on that and it will sing hard core stuff very nicely, since the Peavey Classic's do take pedals well.

Mantis

Reaction score

DV019_Jpg_Regular_480507.001_black_V.jpg

+
300px-TwoBigMuffsoriginal.jpg

=
:thumb: :wave:

Latest Threads