Advice on Cracked Marshall DSL40CR Purchase- Poll

Buy, Pass or Ask for Price Reduction

• Total voters

deanmichael90

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping to get some input/ advice.

I found a cream colored Marshall DSL40CR that has a fairly long and thin crack in the top right corner (pics attached), that goes through the tolex and the wood cab underneath is slightly cracked as well. Its for sale at $565 (regularly $750). It appears to be structurally sound and otherwise in good working order. Assuming there is no internal damage, is this something I should go for, or should the price be further reduced given this damage? In my view this should be no more than $500, and likely even less than that. But it is in good working order, and the damage appears to be only cosmetic.

Based on some research it seems like this damage is potentially fixable... but I certainly am not competent to this task. So i'd need to take it to a professional if I chose to repair it.

Thanks, and any input is appreciated! This cream color is particularly interesting to me, and unfortunately these DSL40CR amps in cream are becoming very hard to find.

Attachments

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping to get some input/ advice.

I found a cream colored Marshall DSL40CR that has a fairly long and thin crack in the top right corner (pics attached), that goes through the tolex and the wood cab underneath is slightly cracked as well. Its for sale at $565 (regularly $750). It appears to be structurally sound and otherwise in good working order. Assuming there is no internal damage, is this something I should go for, or should the price be further reduced given this damage? In my view this should be no more than $500, and likely even less than that. But it is in good working order, and the damage appears to be only cosmetic.

Based on some research it seems like this damage is potentially fixable... but I certainly am not competent to this task. So i'd need to take it to a professional if I chose to repair it.

Thanks, and any input is appreciated! This cream color is particularly interesting to me, and unfortunately these DSL40CR amps in cream are becoming very hard to find.
I’d pass. It looks like it has been dropped on that corner.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Is this from a store with a warranty? If so, anything is fixable with time and money. My 1987x had a cracked cabinet when I got it. You just take the guts out and put wood glue in the corner and clamp it up. That repair held until my now ex-wife totally smashed it during our divorce. So, I glued it and clamped it again. Nine years now and still holding.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I'd pass as well because I, too, think it was dropped.

That being said I love my DSL40c and a CR would be even nicer. But, you might be able to even buy a brand new one and get 0% financing for 4 years or something from one of the big box stores.

fry

Reaction score
Just seeing this thread for the first time. I’d pass as well. That’s a just OK price, nothing to write home about. I’ve seen used ones in great shape for less. Admittedly, you’ll not see a lot of the cream ones used, not sure how much that matters to you. It’s a great amp, get the six button footswitch to really get the most out of it.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
That would warrant a closer inspection to see if it is indeed a crack. I would not get all torqued up over a crack if that was all. Syringe and some TB and clamps. Vinyl would be easy to patch.

If a dealer, and amp is new but damaged, 750 msrp goes out the window.. I'd offer 300 max. He KNOWS it is gonna suck space for a good while on his floor. If he is smart, he wants to get that money back in motion. He knows he will lose something sooner or later, better to cut losses and jump on your offer....

Be nice but firm. The worst that could happen is a "no", then move on...

Latest Threads