Advice on clean amp combos........cheap.

Caretaker

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Marshall combo that covers 90 % of what I need.
At this stage in life I am a bedroom player.
I have 2 Les Pauls and am a Gibson guy but I just came into 2 starts that are fantastic and I am looking for a clean voiced amp for clean blues and jazz.
I`ve owned more gear than any 3 people should throughout my life but am not up on current stuff and I don`t have the cash for vintage.
Fender, Vox, Supro, Yamaha(I really liked the THR stuff) and anything else you might suggest will be considered.
What I am looking for:
15 watts or less(Carvin 16 would be cool but not many for sale)
12 inch speaker.
Tubes or SS doesn`t really matter. I have the Marshall for tubes if I need that)
Combo for sure. No heads/cabs.
Lightweight would be nice but it will be pretty much stationary.
Used would be great(read inexpensive).
I play mostly blues and jazz so breakup can be obtained with a pedal if needed.

OK, lets have those opinions.

I will be looking in about 3 weeks.
If anyone offers something for sale(that`s fine), please do it via PM.

sonar

Reaction score
Used 65’ Princeton Reverb Reissue amps can be had for $600.

Ampeg Jet or Gemini models from the 60’s, $500.

Used Quilter 101 Reverb head, $375.

The St. Louis Music Ampeg Jets from the 90’s, $350.

Used Vox Superbeetle, about $250.

Randall RG80 w/Celestion 75 from the 80’s, maybe $200.

Polytone Mini Brute from the 80’s, $175.

The Asian Vox Pathfiner amps from the 00’s go for around $125.

All have good clean tones. The Mini Brute amps are not very well built, but were a pro Jazz industry standard for their time. The Randall, in head form known as Dimebag’s amp of choice, was popular with Rockabilly revivalists for the clean tone and are very well built for Solid State. 60’s Ampeg are great value and have exceptional clean tone. 90’s Ampeg are under the radar and also do great with overdrive. The Quilter is a SS head, but mentioned because a lot of Surf players are dumping their Brownie Dual Showman’s for them. The Superbeetle looks cool and has surprisingly decent Vox tone. The Pathfinder doesn’t really sound like a traditional Vox, and they are ridiculously cheap, AND has one of the best dark clean tones ever heard out of a solid state amp. The Princeton Reverb Reissue has the most authentic tone of the Fender Reissue amps and speaks for itself.

Some options.

Caretaker

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
I`ll look into them.
I`d love a Vox Night Train but the used prices are stupid for what they are.

Last edited:

pillbug

Reaction score
What you want is an old Yamaha JX40. It’s a solid state, 1x12 combo with spring Reverb tank. I use one for all my pedal testing. It’s the last amp of my collection that I’d sell. It is an amazingly underrated sleeper amp. Plus it’s not new, trendy, or made by anyone known for amps. So it’s kind of a secret. But this amp rules. And I got mine for like $125 about 2 years ago.

pillbug

Reaction score
P.S. - I also have a Vox Night Train g2 combo (just reading last post) and it’s a nice amp but, nothing with EL84s can be described as a clean amp.it was my pedal testing amp until I got the Yamaha and I haven’t played it more than once since then.

bad565ss

Reaction score
What about a mini head/ lunchbox amp and a 1x10 or 1x12 cab? I have a Joyo Bantamp
JCM800 model I got for $159. They offer these in a bunch of voicings. Fender,Vox,Orange, Marshall,Boogie,etc.
I use a Orange 1x12 with mine. Total investment around $400. $250 of that is the cabinet. You could do it way cheaper with a used speaker cab.
Orange makes a 1x8 cab that's $100 new that sounds real good too.
You can find demos and reviews of these on Youtube.

Neffco

Reaction score
Quilter micro block. I love mine, and it gets pretty damn good fender tones, especially with a joyo American in front of it. I also run the joyo AC tone in front for the Vox sounds. Doesn’t get much lighter. It will keep up with drums too. I use it as a bedroom amp so I don’t put wear and tear on my tubes, turning them on and off. Got it for 90$. You would need a cab though.

jaycoyoyo

Reaction score
Used 65’ Princeton Reverb Reissue amps can be had for $600.

Ampeg Jet or Gemini models from the 60’s, $500.

Used Quilter 101 Reverb head, $375.

The St. Louis Music Ampeg Jets from the 90’s, $350.

Used Vox Superbeetle, about $250.

Randall RG80 w/Celestion 75 from the 80’s, maybe $200.

Polytone Mini Brute from the 80’s, $175.

The Asian Vox Pathfiner amps from the 00’s go for around $125.

All have good clean tones. The Mini Brute amps are not very well built, but were a pro Jazz industry standard for their time. The Randall, in head form known as Dimebag’s amp of choice, was popular with Rockabilly revivalists for the clean tone and are very well built for Solid State. 60’s Ampeg are great value and have exceptional clean tone. 90’s Ampeg are under the radar and also do great with overdrive. The Quilter is a SS head, but mentioned because a lot of Surf players are dumping their Brownie Dual Showman’s for them. The Superbeetle looks cool and has surprisingly decent Vox tone. The Pathfinder doesn’t really sound like a traditional Vox, and they are ridiculously cheap, AND has one of the best dark clean tones ever heard out of a solid state amp. The Princeton Reverb Reissue has the most authentic tone of the Fender Reissue amps and speaks for itself.

Some options.
+1 for the Pathfinder. I keep one at church in the music room, because it sounds just fine, and I wouldn't be sad it if walked away.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Boss Katana 50 or 100 will work very well for you. Very light and cheap compared to others and it has a great sound to it for anything and everything at a low price.

mdubya

Reaction score
@ $100 for a Fender Mustang I (half that, used) I could get tones on par (or better than) with my silver face Champ and my Champion 600 for clean, low volume playing. The added benefit is that the Deluxe and Twin models have reverb and pretty good onboard tremolo and delay. Mine took my fuzz and TS style pedals like a Champ (sic), too. It also offers a 60's British model for Vox-like cleans and classic British OD, all with that onboard reverb, trem, and delay.

Next place to look would be VHT Special 6 Ultra. Based on a Champ type circuit, it has a boost circuit and an effects loop. The non-Ultra model does without the loop.

Honestly, for playing in my room, the Mustang I was/is hard to beat at any price.

If you have a powered speaker or monitor, think about a Tech 21 Fly Rig. They are very versatile and will surprise you with how good they sound.

matthew bear

Reaction score
Those old Peavy SS amps had really nice cleans and reverb. Once upon a time I was given one, it was 75 watts i believe and a 1x12. I got one free you could probably find one for a hundred or so

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, a Trace Elliot SuperTramp in good shape is probably $200 or less and has *great* shimmering clean tone.