Advice on an inexpensive SS amp please!

KenG

Reaction score
If you can find a Vintage Roland Cube 60 in CL for a fair price, grab it!!!

These are GREAT sounding SS amps. Sparkling Chimey Cleans like a Jazz Chorus 120 (with no Chorus) with miles of headroom and yet a really nice thick OD channel. Lush Reverb onboard as well. And it's a 1X12 Combo (speaker is the only weak point and it ain't bad.) And, it takes pedals well and has a FX Loop.

I've seen them for as low as $50. Lately, I see people asking hundreds of dollars on eBAY.

I've had one for over 30 years and I'll never sell it! And despite its compact size, it will BLOW the doors off the house!

If you're looking for an amp, it's time to move UP regardless of the low budget!

roland-cube-60-vintage-387093.jpg

I used one of these for many months back in 1981 I believe jamming with some buddies in the military. Very impressive sound and seriously built solid SS amp. IMO these were way beyond todays Cubes but IIRC they were pretty expensive back then as well.

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Ken,

Thank you for validating my experience.

Yeah, I sold my newer Cube 30 (Cosm) a year ago. Not even in the same league and so much more like a toy.

In 83, I'm thinking it cost $340. Definitely NOT cheap, but certainly the real deal.

I have a Laney Lionheart as well and yet with the Roland, I never feel like it isn't comparable. It's right there for tone.

I used one of these for many months back in 1981 I believe jamming with some buddies in the military. Very impressive sound and seriously built solid SS amp. IMO these were way beyond todays Cubes but IIRC they were pretty expensive back then as well.

302mark

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been interested in the older, U.S.A. Peaveys that pop up from time to time on Craigslist, but I don't know much about the newer ones.
I had the DSP FM 25 and as far as I am concerned it was a piece of junk nothing but a feedback machine lol

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Hop on Sweetwater.

Read actual user reviews along with get specs, pics, and prices.

Make decision.

Asking questions like that in forums eventually turns into a mess fest.

Latest Threads