Advice on a 59 burst

Skerries1

Reaction score
Hi Folks
I wonder if you can give me your two cents on whether the value of this 59 burst is a good buy or not? Its on the market for 165K USD. Below are the specifics. I'm thinking about buying it, but its either this or a new apartment (seriously).
Thanks so much.

Moderately flamed (but better in person)
Very strong color
Pots date 38th week of 1958
Dowels for post repair or intonation purposes…expertly done, minimal footprint and overspray
Tuners are era correct, but not sure if original to the guitar
Other tuners on the guitar at some point…hard to say what, though there is some weirdness around the holes on the back of the headstock, and the bushings are slightly loose on the top of the headstock
Back and front of headstock appear to have been over-sprayed (probably for the tuner issue)
Replaced nut
PAF’s have had covers off, and have probably been out of guitar (neck reads approximately 8.0 Ohms, neck, approximately 7.5 Ohms)
Refretted first 12 frets.
Replaced jackplate

Attachments

b-squared

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure one of our members that collect will give you an opinion. Stay tuned.

:D

BB

devin dude

Reaction score
I would pass at that price vs. those "issues"... Say its real value is closer to 100K+... U should buy the new apartment , one can't live in a 'burst... :laugh2:

With the market being so soft the price should be negotiable , $165,000 is crazy high for that one, IMO...:cool:

Look around & see what other 'burst "for sale" r being offered at... For the same price or a bit more u might be able to find an org. plain top '59er without the "issues"... :hmm:

Shadowplayer

Reaction score
i dont care what they say. thats a beauty. if you really like it, make an offer slightly lower and see if they will take it. if i had that money, id totally get it

guitarbob123

Reaction score
It seems a high price for a burst with some issues, it's probably not worth the asking price but then again it's a buyer's market so you could talk them down.

If you're serious about spending $165k on a burst I'd recommend you sign up to LPF and contact a few experts, they'll know of bursts that are available outside of the public eye and know what a good deal is too.

b-squared

Banned
Reaction score
I believe Frank Pine got a 100% original 'player' condition 'burst for quite a bit lower than that.

I hope he chimes in--he's in the know.

BB

Fiftywattmafia

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and thanks for coming here to ask about your hunt! There are a good number of guys on here with a high level of knowledge regarding market value relative to the overall condition of the guitar. Hang around for more info and be patient with your purchase. Hopefully you have somewhere to live while you are deciding. All kidding aside best of luck with your hunt. Many of us would like to have your dilemma!

Ducati

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you're relying on us for responsible financial advice, you're in trouble :naughty: It might be a better time to buy real estate than to buy a guitar. The housing market will come back/is coming back, the guitar market might keep trending down.

Now that we have that out of the way... on to the guitar in question...

Moderately flamed (but better in person)
Very strong color
I don't like the bright red color or the figure that much. The mineral streaks and medullary grain look a bit excessive to me.

Dowels for post repair or intonation purposes…expertly done, minimal footprint and overspray
Hmmm. Maybe it had a Nashville bridge or some other mod. Either way I don't like it.

there is some weirdness around the holes on the back of the headstock, and the bushings are slightly loose on the top of the headstock
Back and front of headstock appear to have been over-sprayed (probably for the tuner issue)
It looks like enlarged tuner holes have been plugged, and not the cleanest work. Why overspray the front of the headstock, or even the back? The repair should be hidden under the tuners & bushings unless the holes were very big.

None of these issues are that big. On the plus side, they are hidden under the hardware. But at this price you should be able to find a guitar with fewer problems, as others have said.

yeti

Reaction score
I have no evidence to support my claim but that has never stopped me before so here it goes.
IMO the only guitars that'll keep their value over the next 10 years are 100% original examples and celebrity owned guitars, everything else will decline further. So for inverstement purpose I'd stay away from any "issue guitar"unless it belonged to someone really famous. If you're looking for a guitar to play then I'd say buy it, if it is worth it TO YOU.:)

Sharky

Reaction score
modifications, repairs, wrong parts, partial refin (complete refin if you ask me) I'd stay away from this even under 100k.

I'm no expert but doesn't the tailpiece position look wrong also?

MUSTANGCAT

Reaction score
I'd stay away from it. If that money is burning a hole in your account then buy the apartments and, drop $5K to $10k for a nice reissue from the custom shop. You and your loved ones will thank me later. I love 55 Step side Chevy trucks but, if I'm gonna drop major bills on a Chev truck, hell! I buy a new Silverado! Do yourself a favor, the custom shop one will come with a warranty to boot! You're a wise man if you came across this kind of dough, so tell me, why are you asking a bunch of us knuckleheads here about this? I want to suspect your reasoning is better than that or, you're just pulling our cranks on this buddy!

River

Reaction score
i dont care what they say. thats a beauty. if you really like it, make an offer slightly lower and see if they will take it. if i had that money, id totally get it
You're in fvckin' high school.

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
IMO the only guitars that'll keep their value over the next 10 years are 100% original examples and celebrity owned guitars
Answer: Demand will determine the value. Tastes change. In the 90's several "big league" collectors sneered that I did not know what I was talking about because I believed early Charvels would rival pre-CBS Strats in price. :naughty:

Celebrity guitar are the most volatile of ALL guitars. It goes UP and DOWN with the interest in the artist....it's also the most subjective.

FYI, there is NEVER a need to over-spray for this. Sometimes vintage Gibsons will NOT intonate on the bass side without moving the post... It is what it is. I guess you could leave them original and suck.

Bursts (Particularly with red content) are very hard to photograph with accurate color....not to mention the differences in monitors. I use two monitors and almost none of my photos look great on BOTH.

I wouldn't pass judgement on that guitar without see it in person.

Bursts are often greater than the sum of their parts, so trying to determine a value by starting at a price and deducting "$" for what is perceived to be issues doesn't work in more instances than one would think. The overall "vibe" is subjective...and emotional.

If it is a great guitar buy it. If it isn't, pass. If you are an "investor" stay away.

Speculating on photos is just that....speculating.

Good luck!

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I believe Frank Pine got a 100% original 'player' condition 'burst for quite a bit lower than that.

I hope he chimes in--he's in the know.

BB
I would say that I'm "in the know" about my guitar only, because I'm very familiar with it inside and out...plus, when purchasing it, I got one of the top 'burst experts involved to help authenticate it for me.

While I could give some guesses as to the originality and value of this guitar if I had it in hand, I would not even take a wild guess at either based on the photos above.

When making any kind of investment in a big ticket item like this, it's best to pay a professional for their services to help authenticate the potential purchase. These pros include Eric, who posted immediately above me, plus people like Joe Ganzler and Tom Wittrock.

And Eric is absolutely right with regard to photos. While I'm not crazy about the color as shown in the above photos, I realize that the red on a 'burst is very difficult to accurately photograph, and there are huge differences from one computer screen to another.

Oh, and where is the guitar located (general geographical area)? There may be a 'burst expert nearby that can check it out for you quite easily.

Best of luck!

Frank

Jimmi

Reaction score
Just wanted to add to the color discussion, the camera itself can change the colors. My digital camera adds a reddish hue to every thing must be more sensitive within that range. Yellowish parts of sunburst guitars often come out more orange and reds are more dense.

On a personal note, I would be excited that you are able to entertain this kind of purchase. To congrats.

Latest Threads