Advice needed

jhestness

Reaction score
Hello,

Kind of new to the pedal world so I have begun experimenting/look for my sound a emulating others. Below is a list of what I am in the process of acquiring and what I currently have. Did I miss anything or are there redundant items.

Getting:

Neunaber Stereo Wet Reverb
Eventide PitchFactor Harmonizer Guitar Multi Effects Pedal
Radial Tonebone Classic Tube Distortion Pedal American
Radial Tonebone Plexitube "Hot Brittish"
Xotic Effects EP Booster
Electro-Harmonix Hum Debugger
TC Electronis ND-1 Nova Delay
JHS Pedals Angry Charlie
MXR 10 band EQ
BBE Sonic Stomp

Already using:

Tech 21 ParaDriver Sans Amp
Ibanez TS-808
Boss DS-1
MSR Phase 90
Crybaby
Boss Chorus(replacing)
Rocktron Hush pedal

Brocko

Reaction score
Straight away, I would suggest looking at getting an EVentide H9 rather than the Pitchfactor.

If you can push to getting the MAX, it's a little more money but you get not only ALL the Pitchfactor algorithms but also the timefwctor, modfactor and SPACE too, the H9 ones and ALL future ones too. Plus it's in a smaller footprint. You can also get a second H9 COre, much cheaper but can share the Max's algos so.

You might also hold fire on the hum debugger. Noise might not be as bad as you think, plus when playing live a little hum is nothing. Also, if you are handy at DIY, you can build one for next to nothing.

Before buying a comp (the xotic you mention is supposed to be ok) if you haven't already, then read Ovnilabs website. A mine of useful info.

I had a Nova Delay and whilst it sounded great, the lack of MIDI was a deal breaker for me. Bear in mind you might want to get a switching unit later, so MIDI might be a consideration, especially considering some of your other choices - plus if you take my H9 advice, it could be a redundant buy!

Also re the Sonic Stomp, I had the Boss equivalent, the Enhancer. It's a nice effect, but I'm not sure it will serve you any better than an EQ. I'm getting the Source Audio programmable one. Another option is a good Para EQ, like the Empress one, might be a more flexible option, especially in the studio.

Just some ideas, based on my experience. But your wish list looks pretty sound, some nailed choices there and would make a great board.

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
Jeez that's a lot of crap. Buy a processor with those effects built into it.

kboman

Reaction score
I agree with Brocko, Sonic Stomp + EQ is probably a lot of overlap. Are you sure about getting both a Plexitube and an Angry Charlie? Seems like Marshall overlap to me but I'm not all that familiar with those specific pedals.

Also in agreement with Brocko, I'd wait before getting noise gates and compressors. They can absolutely have a place, but can very easily be redundant.

Jeez that's a lot of crap. Buy a processor with those effects built into it.

Jeez that's a lot of attitude. Write in someone else's thread.

gbroadhurst

Reaction score
Why the hum debugger when you have guitars loaded with buckers? They do work but really can mess your tone up depending on the pedals used. I have one sat in the closet because I changed to noiseless pickups.

jhestness

Reaction score
Straight away, I would suggest looking at getting an EVentide H9 rather than the Pitchfactor.

If you can push to getting the MAX, it's a little more money but you get not only ALL the Pitchfactor algorithms but also the timefwctor, modfactor and SPACE too, the H9 ones and ALL future ones too. Plus it's in a smaller footprint. You can also get a second H9 COre, much cheaper but can share the Max's algos so.

You might also hold fire on the hum debugger. Noise might not be as bad as you think, plus when playing live a little hum is nothing. Also, if you are handy at DIY, you can build one for next to nothing.

Before buying a comp (the xotic you mention is supposed to be ok) if you haven't already, then read Ovnilabs website. A mine of useful info.

I had a Nova Delay and whilst it sounded great, the lack of MIDI was a deal breaker for me. Bear in mind you might want to get a switching unit later, so MIDI might be a consideration, especially considering some of your other choices - plus if you take my H9 advice, it could be a redundant buy!

Also re the Sonic Stomp, I had the Boss equivalent, the Enhancer. It's a nice effect, but I'm not sure it will serve you any better than an EQ. I'm getting the Source Audio programmable one. Another option is a good Para EQ, like the Empress one, might be a more flexible option, especially in the studio.

Just some ideas, based on my experience. But your wish list looks pretty sound, some nailed choices there and would make a great board.

I was looking at TheGigRig G2, Boss ES-8. Any others I should look at?

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Getting:

Neunaber Stereo Wet Reverb
Eventide PitchFactor Harmonizer Guitar Multi Effects Pedal
Radial Tonebone Classic Tube Distortion Pedal American
Radial Tonebone Plexitube "Hot Brittish"
Xotic Effects EP Booster
Electro-Harmonix Hum Debugger
TC Electronis ND-1 Nova Delay
JHS Pedals Angry Charlie
MXR 10 band EQ
BBE Sonic Stomp

Angry Charlie and Radial Hot British are going to cover mostly the same ground.

sonar

Reaction score
Don't bother with the Electro-Harmonix Hum Debugger or the BBE Sonic Stomp.

If you're running a big board you need to really think about a switching system and buffer placement(s). It can get complicated, so be patient and think it out.

This could be a good start.
If you are seriously going to string all those together, I highly recommend some kind of true bypass looper. At a minimum, something as basic as this, but there are many more strips that can be programmed.

Loop Pedal Switchers - - 10 Looper - Loop-Master Pedals

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Don't bother with the Electro-Harmonix Hum Debugger or the BBE Sonic Stomp.

If you're running a big board you need to really think about a switching system and buffer placement(s). It can get complicated, so be patient and think it out.

This could be a good start.

I run Hum Debuggers, and I would say it depends on how many hummy single coils he uses and/or what kind of house current noise he deals with.

My home currents are too noisy to run without it, even with line and power conditioners etc. And careful placement in chain insures max benfit, minimal impact.

Latest Threads