Advice needed on shipping an amp to Canada

Subterfuge

Reaction score
I guess I could do that. Is it my imagination, or are there discounts when you do it online? One more question. I’ve seen listings for other people make it clear that they will not falsify the value of the item to help out the buyer. What’s the general consensus on that? Is it something that people do, or not?
don't falsify the value, the buyer has to pay the Duty .. fact of life .. I bought a Callaham bridge last week, Duty was $30 ... no biggie

fry

Reaction score
Got it. That makes sense, now I know why sellers say don’t ask. I just kind of anticipate that the guy will indeed ask, and wanted to know a little bit about what the deal was.

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
And my recent experience shipping a Les Paul from Canada to the US...

We chose the cheapest (3rd) option which was 4 to 6 business days for $85 US. It was dropped at the Post Office at 7 PM on a Thursday. Since it was an outlet at the local drugstore, it sat until Friday afternoon. By Saturday, it was in Montreal, between then and Sunday, it cleared Customs and was at JFK, Monday it left JFK to New Jersey, Tuesday morning, it was on a truck and the buyer had it that afternoon.

And since a lot of Americans don't have experience shipping from Canada, I thought I'd be a nice guy so I called US Customs to ask about duties and taxes. I knew that because it was a US made Gibson, it was duty free. When I asked about taxes, the guy thought I was crazy. It's waaay different than in Canada. Basically, Americans won't pay any on an item shipped from Canada.

We get screwed up here. In Ontario, the provincial and federal taxes are combined into a 13% HST (harmonized sales tax). See if you can follow this...

- I buy a guitar at my local store. I pay 13% HST.
- I buy a guitar from a private seller in the US and have it shipped to Canada. I pay 13% HST.
- I buy a guitar from a commercial seller in the US and have it shipped to Canada, I don't pay the US state tax. But I pay 13% HST.
- I have the guitar shipped to the UPS store just over the border in New York State, I pay the state tax. When I cross back over, I pay 13% HST.
- I drive to the US and buy the guitar at a store, I pay the state tax. When I cross back over, I pay 13% HST.

Have you picked up on the pattern?
That's why the US guy got annoyed when I was asking follow up questions. Since there's no federal sales tax, the idea of collecting it on a private sale seemed absurd to him. Since it was purchased out of state, there's no state tax either. You Americans don't know how good you have it.

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've shipped a couple of guitars to Europe via USPS and it was affordable and glitch-free.

YMMV of course.

fry

Reaction score
I got the quote and emailed it to the guy, it’s his decision now. USPS online quoted me $147 and change. I paid over 90 to ship a guitar once from Ohio to California, so I didn’t think that was so out of line for a quote to Canada.

TheX

Voice of Reason
Reaction score
Nothing against Canadians, but I typically just flat refuse to ship outside the continental US. I don’t want to deal with any additional stuff that comes along with that..
#metoo

Death Incarnate

The Destructor
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I got the quote and emailed it to the guy, it’s his decision now. USPS online quoted me $147 and change. I paid over 90 to ship a guitar once from Ohio to California, so I didn’t think that was so out of line for a quote to Canada.
When's the last time you shipped a guitar? The past five years, shipping has sky rocketed. I've never shipped a guitar for less than $100 since 2014 or so. I shipped a guitar from Massachusetts to New Jersey last year for like $125. It was a big heavy 335 with case and padded, but still.

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
When's the last time you shipped a guitar? The past five years, shipping has sky rocketed. I've never shipped a guitar for less than $100 since 2014 or so. I shipped a guitar from Massachusetts to New Jersey last year for like $125. It was a big heavy 335 with case and padded, but still.
Like I mentioned above, just last week I shipped a Les Paul Supreme from Ottawa, Canada (about a 2 hour drive north of Syracuse, New York) to New Jersey. It weighed in at 22 lbs. and it came to $85 US. Funny thing is that "3 day guaranteed" was around $125 but "3 to 6 day expedited" was $85. We chose the cheaper one and it was there in 3 business days. I've paid for the "guaranteed" before and had it take 5. They just blame it on Customs and say "Oh well".

I haven't checked, but I'd be willing to bet you that if I were to ship it the same distance within Canada, it'd be over 100 bucks.

fry

Reaction score
I saw that subject being discussed here, but I haven’t really experienced it personally.

Death Incarnate

The Destructor
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I saw that subject being discussed here, but I haven’t really experienced it personally.
Much like death itself, your future experience of it is inevitable.

fry

Reaction score
Much like death itself, your future experience of it is inevitable.
I’ve shipped plenty of guitars in recent times. The most recent one was from Ohio to Nevada, and it wasn’t ridiculously high. I went through reverb, if you use them there is a substantial UPS discount. Better than I thought, I just looked, it was $41.71, and that included their additional protection to cover loss or damage. It was an Epiphone Les Paul in a hard case.

mrdannyboy

Reaction score
I have never shipped a cabinet before but member bulletproof bought a one I sold was a 12” pretty decent sized traynor cabinet for me. I couldn’t find boxes anywhere that or perfect for it then I thought I’m going to the music store I just happened to pull up there in the morning when they were unwrapping a bunch of merchandise to go in the store And they provide me with the perfect box to ship it so that’s an option there For packaging. Also you can go To local businesses they will give you shredded paper so once you have it paked you can fill-in any little gaps/cracks with that that’s what I did it worked out great. Hope this helps you should be able to get a perfect box in the little Styrofoam corners for it right at your local music store and get permission to check the recycling

Last edited:

mrdannyboy

Reaction score
Only use USPS. The others charge brokerage fees when it crosses the border unless you use an air service. He will also pay sales tax on whatever value you claim (5% in Alberta) and customs fees if the amp wasn't made in North America unless you specifically write something like "Made in USA" on the form.

Shipping within Canada is expensive. If you driving to the border is an option, I would do that.
Yes exactly very good point I bought a speaker off a member here for 200 US and when it got to my house they want me to pay extra $124 for it for brokerage fees and duty. I was able to get it all waved but UPS customer service. USPS is definitely in the best choice imo as well.

mrdannyboy

Reaction score
Nothing against Canadians, but I typically just flat refuse to ship outside the continental US. I don’t want to deal with any additional stuff that comes along with that. I’m only considering this because he’s the only one that has really reached out to me, and he might actually mind if I do this. He might not, too. I am almost hoping he doesn’t.
I found most transactions going to and coming from Canada and or the United States for the vast majority of the time are pretty seamless. I personally wouldn’t worry about sending it over just as long as you insure it for the proper value anything happens you can always make a claim and get your money.

mrdannyboy

Reaction score
Technically, there is no "additional stuff" for you. Box it up, send it USPS, and you're done. Anything that happens once it hits the border is his responsibility
The onus is on the seller to properly ensure it because the buyer can’t make a claim if something happens to it. The seller has to initiate the claim they won’t take anything from the buyer it’s all on the sellers end. Unless of maybe the buyer was to print shipping label for the seller.

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
I have never shipped a cabinet before but member bulletproof bought a one by 12 pretty decent sized traynor cabinet for me. I couldn’t find boxes anywhere that or perfect for it then I thought I’m going to the music store I just happened to pull up there in the morning when they were unwrapping a bunch of merchandise to go in the store And they provide me with the perfect box to ship it so that’s an option there For packaging. Also you can go To local businesses they will give you shredded paper so once you have it paked you can fill-in any little gaps/cracks with that that’s what I did it worked out great. Hope this helps you should be able to get a perfect box in the little Styrofoam corners for it right at your local music store and get permission to check the recycling
For packing items, when I need padding for corners and edges, I go to the dollar store and pick up a couple of pool noodles. They're cheap and super easy to custom-cut.

mrdannyboy

Reaction score
Don't do it.
First of all, it's stupid for the seller to ask. If you pay 3 grand for a guitar and ask the guy to declare it at 500 bucks, it plays out one of 2 ways. If the paperwork shows it insured for $3000 but declared at $500, you may as well paint a red flag on it. Or, you pay $3000 but declare AND insure it for $500. Sorry, but that's an idiotic risk to take just to save a few bucks in taxes.

If you get caught, you'll both be flagged in the system from then on.

In case you missed it at the beginning...

DON'T DO IT.
For packing items, when I need padding for corners and edges, I go to the dollar store and pick up a couple of pool noodles. They're cheap and super easy to custom-cut.
Yeah that’s a good idea too. You never know though you could just lock out and get the perfect box like I did from the local music store but the noodles sound like a pretty good idea as well

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
Yeah that’s a good idea too. You never know though you could just lock out and get the perfect box like I did from the local music store but the noodles sound like a pretty good idea as well
Even with the perfect box, you still need padding...

mrdannyboy

Reaction score
I’ve shipped plenty of guitars in recent times. The most recent one was from Ohio to Nevada, and it wasn’t ridiculously high. I went through reverb, if you use them there is a substantial UPS discount. Better than I thought, I just looked, it was $41.71, and that included their additional protection to cover loss or damage. It was an Epiphone Les Paul in a hard case.
Even with the perfect box, you still need padding...
Yeah no doubt that’s what I said about the shredded paper that works really good obviously bubble wrap and popcorn Styrofoam I wouldn’t be sending it in a box without padding I’ll tell you that much Cheers

My Les Paul Classifieds