Advice needed for pickup combo on Epi LP Tribute Plus

Should I change one/both of the Gibson '57 Classic humbuckers for something different or leave in?

• Change 1 of the '57s

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Change both of the '57s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leave both '57s in there

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters

William.Adams

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have an Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus which has the Gibson '57 Classic humbucker in the neck and '57 Classic Plus in the bridge. It has been professionally set up and I have some other modifications on the way such as Tusq nut, Gotoh tailpiece and bridge.

I’m now onto the pickups but not entirely sure which way to go. Someone suggested that changing the bridge pickup to a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates would provide a better tone and just bring it to life more.

Firstly, is this a good idea? I’ve read some great things about the Pearly Gates humbuckers.

Secondly, should I put the Pearly Gates in the bridge or the neck?

Thirdly, if I put the Pearly Gates in the bridge, should I take the standard ’57 Classic out of the neck and put the ’57 Classic Plus in there instead? (presuming the Plus is better than the standard '57?)

Finally, does anyone know if the Pearly Gates are a direct fit into the Epi LPs?

Thanks in advance!

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Hi and Welcome!
Changing the nut, bridge and tailpiece will most likely change the tone
of the guitar so I would wait to hear it with those new parts.
From what I read, you are considering changing the pickups
to improve the guitar but once the new stuff is installed,
you might find that the tone is exactly what you want, or not.

One guy's dream pickups are just duds for another so it's really up to you
to hear if it fits what you want.

If you want advice on pickups, I suggest you tell us what style of music you
want to play, what are the bands you're a fan of, etc.

And don't post on the same subject in two separate threads...
:D

madh4ttr

Reaction score
With all those changes, why didn't you just get a GIbson? You are basically changing everything about it. You are still putting a good bit into it after you bought it. I personally don't feel the need to change the pickups, sounds great to me.

C_Becker

Dat Gibson smell
Reaction score
"Better" tone is highly subjective. Objectively, those 57s are good pickups. The question is "why do I want to change them out" ?
Do you want more output, less output, more treble /mids/bass, less treble/mids/bass ?
Do you want to play melodic death metal or do you want to play old-school blues ?

Unless you know that, it doesn't make sense to change them out. Unless you just want something new and different. But you might be disappointed.

William.Adams

Reaction score
With all those changes, why didn't you just get a GIbson? You are basically changing everything about it. You are still putting a good bit into it after you bought it. I personally don't feel the need to change the pickups, sounds great to me.
Yeah I was thinking that haha. The Epi LP tribute plus with an impulse buy because I heard so many good things about them. I got it back today had the new bridge, tail piece and nut put on with a full setup and it sounds great can’t believe how much more live it is now. Think I’ll keep the Gibson pickups in there for now no point changing something that sounds great!

rednefceleb

Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking that haha. The Epi LP tribute plus with an impulse buy because I heard so many good things about them. I got it back today had the new bridge, tail piece and nut put on with a full setup and it sounds great can’t believe how much more live it is now. Think I’ll keep the Gibson pickups in there for now no point changing something that sounds great!
I love the Gibson 57 and 57 plus set. I don't care for the series parallel option. Volume drop and thin sound. Everyone has their idea of good pup sound. I have friends who wind pups. Pups are a type of alnico or ceramic magnets wrapped in 42 gauge copper wire usually, and are really quite simple for the most part. It's about inductance and impedance and sometimes luck. I've never tried Fender Noiseless Strat pups and I'd like to. Conversations about pups can go in a lot of directions. Lace Sensors are great. I've used Bill Lawrence 500's and like those. Of course Duncan and Dimarzio are reliable, fine sounding, & competitive.

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
The Pearly Gates will fit no problem. But before you choose a pickup set, ask yourself if there is a particular tone problem you want to solve. Hoping for 'more better' is most likely a sideways step (it might turn out good, or just the same but different).

rednefceleb

Reaction score
I tried out several EPI guitars and found the Tribute Plus was way and above the others in that price range. The locking tuners, '57 & '57+ pups. The play-ability is tantamount to a Gibson L.P. :jb:

My Les Paul Classifieds