Advice for renting a place in college?

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
I rented a house with two other dudes while I worked my way through school. I knew one guy beforehand and met the other when we moved in. That was 28 years ago and we're still close. It was cheaper to split the cost among three and cheaper than living on campus and more freedom than living with Mom and Dad. Living with people you don't know and learning how to get along is a big part of the college experience...or at least it should be IMO.

You should be able to find a pretty nice little place for cheap in KC or one of the surrounding 'burbs.

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean about living alone. I couldn't live with someone I haven't known for a while. Hell, I don't know if I could even live with my friends. They all have characteristics that would drive me insane if I lived with them.

I'm guessing you're going to UMKC. Look at Craigslist and renting websites to see what the prices are to get a general idea. I was thinking about moving with a friend to KC, but I decided to live in Lawrence instead. Obviously the Plaza is expensive. Westport apartments can be had around the price your looking at. I know Brookside is close to UMKC. Waldo is just a little further south. There's apartment complexes scattered around the city, and it seems like they all use a different website, if they use one at all. You just need to search and search. Also, go for a drive around the areas you'd want to live in and see if you see any apartments with info posted. If it's during business hours, see if there's anyone in the leasing office and ask any questions.

You could always get a 1 bedroom apartment and sublet it if you find someone to room with.

Most likely, you'll need a guarantor for an apartment. At least that's been my experience with apartments in Lawrence. I know Sinmastah said he didn't have to do that in Ames though.

I'm about to fill out an application for an apartment. If I come across anything else, I'll let you know.

UMKC is in Brookside. I hadn't thought of driving around during the day and looking for signs. That's a good idea. I honestly have no idea what does and doesn't get listed.
I'm expecting to have to get my parents to sign off somewhere, yeah.

That's a great deal.

That sounds incredibly bratty.

Sorry.

I realize that it is. But I'm taking that responsibility on my own, it's not my parents money, so it's not like being bratty is terribly relevant at that point.

I rented a house with two other dudes while I worked my way through school. I knew one guy beforehand and met the other when we moved in. That was 28 years ago and we're still close. It was cheaper to split the cost among three and cheaper than living on campus and more freedom than living with Mom and Dad. Living with people you don't know and learning how to get along is a big part of the college experience...or at least it should be IMO.

You should be able to find a pretty nice little place for cheap in KC or one of the surrounding 'burbs.

I recognize it's part of the experience, I'm just not sure I want to deal with it. A lot of my friends have totally hated the people they've ended up rooming with, on or off campus.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
So next year I'm going to school at the local branch of University of Missouri, and moving out on my own. I'm going to start looking for places in early July, hopefully be moved in somewhere or ready to move in somewhere by the end of the month. And I'll probably have someone else move in with me within the first year of doing that, I just don't want to actively search for someone solely on the grounds of needing a roommate I can tolerate. I'd rather actually be friends with someone first.
Only reason I'm staying in Kansas City is that I don't see the point in going to a college town, and I'm broke.

I'm looking to stay on the west side of the city and pay between 400-800 a month before utilities, preferably less than 800. If I can find a house I can get into I'm probably going for that over an apartment even though I'll have to pay all or more of the utilities in that case.

So with all that in mind, what advice do you guys have?
Continuing to live with my parents is not an option (they don't want me to stay much longer than another year, and I just don't want to take anything from them anymore), nor is living somewhere I'll get shot. I'll be working through school so I'm not taking all my living expenses out on my loans.

Look earlier than that. Most students figure out housing arrangements at the end of the year so that they have a place lined up for September. Starting in July is leaving it late - April or May would be a much better idea.

SlashBucker42

Reaction score
What the hell do you have against living on campus for the first semester or year you're there? You won't be tied into a lease for an apartment that may or may not be in a decent area and you'll likely come across some people you would actually be able to do the apartment roommate thing with afterwards. And you'll have a better feel for the area around the school and where you might prefer to live.

Do whatever you want.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Find someone who already has an apartment. Keep your name off the lease (if at all possible). Scour all the boards (analog and digital) at school for "roommate wanted." The more you meet the greater the chances of finding someone who will be a good fit. I'd want to be within walking distance of most of my classes (eliminates lots of hassles and excuses for not going to class).

kmk108

Reaction score
What the hell do you have against living on campus for the first semester or year you're there? You won't be tied into a lease for an apartment that may or may not be in a decent area and you'll likely come across some people you would actually be able to do the apartment roommate thing with afterwards. And you'll have a better feel for the area around the school and where you might prefer to live.

Do whatever you want.

He's lived in the city for a while (I'm assuming). He knows the area well enough.

I don't want to be tied into rooming with someone I can't stand. I've never lived on campus and have only lived by myself. As long as you're not shy around campus, you'll find people to hang out.

Latest Threads