Adjusting to a guitar

blouie

Reaction score
I play my LP guitars the most and just feel so comfortable. However, when I play play another guitar for several days in a row (Strat, EBMM, Tele) and go back to the LP, the LP feels weird and can take me several days to feel comfortable again.

Is this a common experience?

I know it's different scale lengths and all but it is almost like I have to bond with the LP again.

searswashere

Reaction score
Scale length is the smallest physical change between a strat style and LP imo.

efstop

All your base are belong to us
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's common. I don't play every day so when I pick up any guitar, whether it's Fender or Gibson scale, thin or fat neck or electric or acoustic, it's always an adjustment, but it only takes a few minutes to settle in. I'm totally guitar neck agnostic except for super slim necks. i don't like those or have any.

gball

Reaction score
It was always the opposite for me. The only guitars that felt "right" to me (or for that matter sounded right) were my Les Pauls, so I solved the problem by selling off anything I owned that wasn't a Les Paul. Never been happier.

Demon Dave

Reaction score
It was always the opposite for me. The only guitars that felt "right" to me (or for that matter sounded right) were my Les Pauls, so I solved the problem by selling off anything I owned that wasn't a Les Paul. Never been happier.
This is something I just can’t do. In some way something remind me about my strat, or maybe my tele or my Sg. I couldn’t sell none of them...

Overture

Reaction score
I even have this when I go between my Pauls. The neck on my custom feels like a baseball bat after playing my Jackson V for a few days. But if I play my R7 or R8 then switch to the custom? It's like a toothpick!

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the scale........ all my Gibson's and 24.75 scale guitars are comfy...... i have to stretch into longer scales for a minute or two.... not much effort or time involved, just a little warm up. When i go back to the shorter scale it's like home.

Body shapes and strap pin locations may fuss with me,... when i'm sitting no problem.

Neck shapes don't bother me either,.... though i like bigger,.. thinner are just fine,.... wizard necks are a bit crampy.

searswashere

Reaction score
It's the scale........ all my Gibson's and 24.75 scale guitars are comfy...... i have to stretch into longer scales for a minute or two.... not much effort or time involved, just a little warm up. When i go back to the shorter scale it's like home.

Body shapes and strap pin locations may fuss with me,... when i'm sitting no problem.

Neck shapes don't bother me either,.... though i like bigger,.. thinner are just fine,.... wizard necks are a bit crampy.
Forearms and tummy cuts suggest its not just the scale but ymmv. Before I dove deep into LP’s this year I went through a few jazzmasters and a Novo Serus J.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forearms and tummy cuts suggest its not just the scale but ymmv. Before I dove deep into LP’s this year I went through a few jazzmasters and a Novo Serus J.
Well.... I have been playing well over 40 years..... I have pretty much adjusted to everything guitar.... including the bass.... but everyone Is different and physical body shapes do play into fitting with the instrument... arm, finger length and playing style along with experience on a particular instrument will effect how comfortable you are with change. It hasn’t been a struggle for me I should clarify.

Peter M

Reaction score
Yes, back in the day I had to allow for that switcheroo adjustment period.

But I've since solved that issue by getting rid of everything except my Les Pauls. Now any adjustment period, say from a '50s to a '60s, is only a matter of seconds. :)

sonar1

Reaction score
I can adjust.
Don’t want to!

Gimmee LP scale and fat neck.

30300109-D9D6-45D3-A2FA-B7775D58F5B1.jpeg

efstop

All your base are belong to us
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can't get rid of guitars that do things a Les Paul can't. I'm not a hard core Les Paul fan. I like them, but they aren't the be all, end all for me. So I adapt.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
I switch between Ibanez's (Roadstars, Artists, Artcores) Arias, and Gibson without thought. Pick it up, plug it in, and play. What's there to think about? Each one is different, and I am used to them being different.

Knoby

Reaction score
Yes it's normal. The adjustment period will be different for everybody.

Not just scale length affects it. Also Neck thickness. Shoulders, nut width, string spacing, string tension.

For me, the bigger wider take longer to time to adapt. And result in different playing style.

judson

Reaction score
Well.... I have been playing well over 40 years..... I have pretty much adjusted to everything guitar.... including the bass.... but everyone Is different and physical body shapes do play into fitting with the instrument... arm, finger length and playing style along with experience on a particular instrument will effect how comfortable you are with change. It hasn’t been a struggle for me I should clarify.
i think you hit the nail on the head with the first sentence....over time with many guitars in your hands, you just adjust pretty quick without giving it much thought unless there is something wrong with the guitar you picked up...

years back, i wore the hell out of the frets on a Fender Squire strat neck, started thinking i couldnt live with anything else and was freaking out looking for a refret shop or another identical neck as i just grinded hours and hours each day on that thing and ate up the frets after about a year.

fast forward a bunch of years and now after playing many sizes and shapes of guitars and necks it isnt something that immediately crosses my mind...you just get a quick feel of it and go at it...

you might prefer some over others but it sometimes it is like a fun new ride when you play something that does feel different and plays great.....down side it fuels the GAS and next thing you know your patiently waiting for the UPS guy to deliver a new guitar....

i agree, it is something that just comes after many hours/years of playing......

variety is good.

dro

Reaction score
To me, Les Paul just feels like home.
Like when you've been on the road for awhile.
You get back home, and get in your Lay-Z-Boy.
It just fits.

moreles

Reaction score
I like the difference because it plays with muscle memory and makes my sense of touch a little more sensitive and alert. I don't have to do any conscious thinking and adjusting. For some reason, I feel it more when I go from Gibson to Fender than the reverse. What I do notice shifting to an LP is the weight, the blocky heft of the design, and the blurrier tonality. Having a massive and blocky neck/body join just after only the first octave feels like a speed bump. As you can tell, my LPs are feeling antique to me -- I use my LP/SG Custom all the time, but the LP is languishing these days.

cowsgomoo

Reaction score
objects that are different shapes, sizes and weights often do feel different... weird that

Latest Threads