Adio air gt vs. spark amp

Lhdr

Reaction score
I currently own the Vox Adio air gt. I really like the few clean tones I get out of it at incredibly low volumes. It has 4 presets which I have dialed in the tone I like - I just toggle between them, not ever really changing. Very similar tones. I bluetooth backing tracks to the Adio air GT off youtube, and jam along as if I am BB king, Jerry Garcia or Dicky Betts. That all I do.

Is the spark basically the same just with just WAY more preset tones? In other words If I use a Les Paul set to some Hendrix tone will it sound like Wind Cries Mary? I cant get those kinds of tones on the Adio air.

Also, Does it have stereo setting? The Adio air has some wide stereo sound which fakes it into sounding like some large amp at incredibly low volume. Lastly, can I Bluetooth youtube backing tracks to the spark to jam along with?

Trying to understand if the spark would be an improvement to enter the world of clean sounding amp sims than the Adio air which I currently have.

On a side note, can I get decent recordings by micing these little amps or am I better off using GarageBand amp sims?

Thanks for your help.

jkes01

Reaction score
I really like the clean presets on the Spark, Royal Crown jk is my favorite ATM.

It is stereo and sounds bigger than it is. Yes, Bluetooth from device to amp. Spark will actually play YouTube videos though the app and analyze them to show chord changes.

No need to mic the Spark as it has a USB to connect directly to a PC. I am going to order a USB type B to lightning cable to see if I can pump it directly into Garage Band on my iPad.

I suggest searching the numerous youtube videos available to see all it can do.

Here is another thread with some more info.

Lhdr

Reaction score
Just to clarify, can I get a Jimi Hendrix type tone using my les paul on the spark? Is it a preset or do I have to develop it through trial and error. I have never used any amp sims or software FX and never used pedals so not that familiar with signal chains. I’m just an old school guitar/amp guy. Really want to start exploring tones. So many ways to skin the cat but I am really digging super low volume older in life. Just want some classic tones, not metal stuff. I thought Katana, mustang, etc were junk. Really like the Adio air, just want more classic tone options than a Vox.

jkes01

Reaction score
Your Les Paul will sound like Hendrix if you install single coil pickups in it. :cool:

Spark has many Hendrix presets available to download and tweak form the tone cloud.

The issue is, a humbucker will never sound like a single coil pickup even if you split them. Split humbucker will never have that glassy bell like tone as a single coil.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, can I get a Jimi Hendrix type tone using my les paul on the spark? Is it a preset or do I have to develop it through trial and error. I have never used any amp sims or software FX and never used pedals so not that familiar with signal chains. I’m just an old school guitar/amp guy. Really want to start exploring tones. So many ways to skin the cat but I am really digging super low volume older in life. Just want some classic tones, not metal stuff. I thought Katana, mustang, etc were junk. Really like the Adio air, just want more classic tone options than a Vox.
Clarify what you're asking, please.

If you are just asking for more diversity of amp and effects tone, than Vox Amps, then yes, the Spark has that
Here is their full list of amps:

https://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038772571-Spark-Amp-Effect-List

It also seems like your asking if there are presets that would provide amp, effects etc, as Hendrix used (for particular songs?). Yes, there is the ToneCloud with a lot of presets based off of iconic player's tone, and well those uploaded by Spark Users. I just checked and there were easily 100 presets with Hendrix or Jimi in the name.

But, it would just be an amp, drive pedal and FX loop FX to match a Jmi tone rig. If you play a Les Paul through it it will sound like a Les Paul through the same pedals, FX and Amp that is modelled in the preset. If Jimi used a strat, you won't get the same tone. If you can coil split, with a little tweaking to the preset, you can get pretty close.

If you are looking for both the same rig modelled AND to make your Les Paul on humbuckers, not split, also simulate a strat, then no, there is no easy way with the Spark. It is simply an amp that can model a decent amount of amps, dirt pedals and FX. It also has an Ap that allows for a lot of nice practice tools, like backing tracks, playing songs with chord diagrams, and a bunch more.

IF, it is the latter, you really only have limited choices. One, is get a Variax JTV-59 (assuming you want a Les Paul like form). It actually is a guitar modeller guitar. It uses piezos, then apples the model of a guitar on that signal and outputs what sounds like a strat, or P90 LP, or hollow body with HBs, or P90s, or Single Coils, etc.

See my NGD https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/ngd-line-6-jtv-59-variax-love-this-guitar.446758/

Use that with a Spark, and a Jimi preset, voila.

Or you need an upper echelon Modeller that can load and use IRs. There are a lot of people creating IRs, that will tweak an LP tone (specially in split coil mode) to sound like a Strat. There are presets and IRs I can load on my Axe to do this.

Lhdr

Reaction score
Thanks cybermgk. After being out of the technology curve for the last 30 years, I was assuming I could press a button and sound like anyone. LOL. I guess I need to study up on my terminology. Since My only experience is old school pedals through amp, and this new modeling VOX amp I am curious about definitions. Just haven't bought any new technology in 30 years. Still don't own a pedal but now very interested in tones.

Amp sims are just that, amp and cabinet simulation software correct? Like amps in GarageBand. Can they be played through an amp/cabinet or just computer/headphone/monitors?

IR's are actual "recordings or photos" of a guitar and amp post effects correct? Can they be played through an amp/cab? Are these hardware or software devices?

What are FX's?

Multi effects floor processor, Is this just many pedals crammed into one device? Like line 6 HX stomp? No amp simulation?

How about amplitude type stuff, is this only for recording? Again just amp simulation? Doesn't work through an actual amp?

Profiler. Don't get.

FX's are the those software amp simulations like amplitude?

I'm probably missing stuff.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks cybermgk. After being out of the technology curve for the last 30 years, I was assuming I could press a button and sound like anyone. LOL. I guess I need to study up on my terminology. Since My only experience is old school pedals through amp, and this new modeling VOX amp I am curious about definitions. Just haven't bought any new technology in 30 years. Still don't own a pedal but now very interested in tones.

Amp sims are just that, amp and cabinet simulation software correct? Like amps in GarageBand. Can they be played through an amp/cabinet or just computer/headphone/monitors?

IR's are actual "recordings or photos" of a guitar and amp post effects correct? Can they be played through an amp/cab? Are these hardware or software devices?

What are FX's?

Multi effects floor processor, Is this just many pedals crammed into one device? Like line 6 HX stomp? No amp simulation?

How about amplitude type stuff, is this only for recording? Again just amp simulation? Doesn't work through an actual amp?

Profiler. Don't get.

FX's are the those software amp simulations like amplitude?

I'm probably missing stuff.
K, got your level . No problem.

FX = Effects, such as you would use in an effects loop of an amp., reverb, delay etc.

IR = Impulse Response. It's the measurement of how a particular dynamic system sounds. In the modelling world, this is usually used to create a digital image of a speaker or speaker cabinet. It also captures the mic used and where it is placed. On upper end systems, you can have multiple IRs for say a 4x12 with V30s. Each uses different mic locations, or even different mics. Some modellers allow you to switch the mic placement (i.e. selects the proper IR that matches). Modelers that use 'tone matching' are basically creating an IR. In simple terms when the modeler uses the IR, it changes the signal, the way whatever was captured would. So, in theory an IR of 4x12 with v30s, mic'ed with am SM57, when 'applied' to the output of an amp signal, will change it and react to it sonically, like the 4a12 and mic used to create the IR.

Modelling - This is the process of recreating a guitar amp, a guitar pedal digitally. Modelling tries to recreate the amp, or pedal, from the component level, the circuit level. For instance, on my Fractal Axe FX III (A Amp and Effects Modeller) I can change capacitor values, tube types, etc. and the modeller tries to react just like the real amp would, if I had done the same things.

Profiling and Profiles - This is what the Kemper uses/does. Instead of 'modelling,' each component of the amp, and creating the whole, to create a digital version of an amp, like a modeller, profiling captures the entire system. The Kemper sends a series of reference tones through an amp. It tests and captures how the amp changes the tones, and how much, it tests how the gain the amp is set to achieve affects it etc. It takes this and makes a digital profile, or model of said amp (and mic and speaker used, be it the one in the combo amp, or CAB with a head.). The Kemper can create a profile of that whole system (amp, speaker and mic used to hear the signals sent through the amp), or just the Amp portion of it.

SO an Amp Model, or an Amp Profile are digital recreations of an amp or also an Amp and Speaker(s),

Amp Sims on a PC or used in a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), like Amplitube, or Garage Band, etc. are software 'models' of the amp. Something similar is in your Vox.

All Modellers use a processor, be it in the device, or a PC, to take the digital model and an input signal, from a guitar, and create a signal that sounds like the amp, speaker, modelled effects and pedals they are modelling.

Multi effects floor processor, - Depends. There were and are such that are just a large collection of digital effects, reverbs, delays, chorus, etc. etc. BUT, The Helix Stomp, Helix LT and Helix are Guitar Processors, or what we call 'Modellers'.

FRFR - Full range, Flat response. Applies to Speakers, and means a Ful frequency range (of what a human can hear) and no, to little coleration (flat response) These are often used with Modellers, because, the Modeller is creating the 'coloration' of a modelled Speaker CABinet. Guitar speakers all color the amp's outptut to some degree.

Some Modelers will seperate the Amp from the Speaker and allow you to mix and match, Others, include the Amp and Speaker Model/IR in to one Model. Some Modelers allow changing parts of the Amp model. FOr instance, my Axe FX, I can take a Marshall JMP EQ stack.circuit, and put it in a Fender Deluxe Reverb.

Preset - A generic term used to desribe an entire guitar signal chain in modelled form. I.E. front of amp pedals, the amp, effects in the loop and speaker/speaker cab

Hopefully the above covers the terms you were wondering about.

Modellers, generally come in 2 basic Major forms.

One is the all in one unit, like your Vox unit. In other words, it has the Modeller, a SS power amplifier and speaker(s). THis includes combo amps like the Fender Mustang, Boss Katana, Blackstar Silverline, Spark Amp and similar. Typically, these have a smaller group of Amp models, and digital or modeled effects. Some will not have any Speaker models, aka IRs, and will use Guitar Speakers. Others will use one IR, or one Speaker IR per each Amp model, and a near FRFR speaker(s) .

The other is usually in one of 2 sub forms, rack unit, or floor unit. This includes the Axe FX (rack) and FM3 (floor) from Fractal, the various Helix; from Line6 (both Rack and Floor). These all have many Amp models ) models of Vox amps, Fender, Dumbles, Marhslls, etc), dirt pedals, effects pedals and Speakers and Speaker Cabs. Some have loopers built-in, the ability to create an IR, etc. You usually can combine any of the included modelled dirt pedals, effects, amp models, speaker(s) together to create a preset.

GENERALLY, all of the 2ns can use headphones to hear the sounds they make. Most of them can go straight to a mixing board, or Front of the house. Almost all of them can also send the final signal to a Computer, via USB (a few via bluetooth) to be recorded or hear, however you hear sound on said computer.

They all, of this form , almost always need power amplifier to drive speaker(s), Some guitarists will use 'clean', i.e. colorless power amplifier, be it tube or ss. Others will use powered Speaker Cabs (Speaker with power amp). Still, others, who only use this in a studio or at home, will use powered studio monitors. Bottem line is some method to amplify the signal and drive a speaker, and the speakers.

There are exceptions to this. Kemper sells profilers in rack and head forms, both unpowered, and with a built in power amp. Positive Grid has some amp heads that are modelers with their own power amps built-in as well.

Now, for all of the above, that don't have a built-in speaker like your Vox, you can take the output of that power amp you hook it up to and run it to FRFR speaker systems, or Guitar CABs. To do the latter, you have to either have no, or are able to turn off the speaker or speaker cab modelling/IR. The Guitar CAB will color the tone, That is what speakers do. So having both the IR or CAB modelling on AND using a CAB will not sound so hot. Doing this, works and sounds fine. It just limits all those different amp models to use just the guitar speakers you have.

Or use the Speaker and Speaker CAB 'models' or IRs , and run the output to an FRFR speaker system, that will just recreate what it is given asis (or close to it).

Lhdr

Reaction score
Thanks for the taking the time to explain things better. It seems as one who is looking for a product (or 2) too try and not having the experience to risk a lot of money, I should stay the simple route until I discover what type of guy I am.

I have a feeling I’m a classic tube amp breakup kinda guy for the most part. Maybe a touch of overdrive, reverb and delay etc., old school phaser for fun, with some other add on stomps for recording. That being said, my goals are to buy an IOS audio interface and try my luck at garageband. I did some 4 track stuff in the 80’s that sounded great. Nothing since.

Given this, It seems like something like Amplitube might do 2 things. First, it would allow me to explore stomps and tones and how they relate and find some things that might inspire. I assume it sounds decent? A good friend, great guitarist said they sound like crap, but If I dont know any better, maybe good enough for me to learn tones and signal chains on Instead of buying pedals. Second it would be good enough for entry into garageband recording, I assume, but as I think, garageband already has that type of stuff?

My Vox adio air is strictly LOW volume, wife, dog friendly backing track jams around the living room table device.. It works for that. It’s dinner music. At some point I might want a Fender Princeton re-issue 65 or 68 which I could mic for recordings when I find my tone and pedals. And when the wife is gone, have that big real tube air.

Last thought would be some all in one device like an entry Helix or Boss type thing I should either use with monitors or whatever. I always go back to the wife in a small house thing. Everything should be low volume which seems like monitors instead of an amp. I prefer staying away from headphones if possible. Can you get good sound out of monitors? Not sure if The VOX is meant for that. Anyway, thanks for explaining things better. I know I dont want to jump to high end stuff other than a dreaming of Princeton reverb.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the taking the time to explain things better. It seems as one who is looking for a product (or 2) too try and not having the experience to risk a lot of money, I should stay the simple route until I discover what type of guy I am.

I have a feeling I’m a classic tube amp breakup kinda guy for the most part. Maybe a touch of overdrive, reverb and delay etc., old school phaser for fun, with some other add on stomps for recording. That being said, my goals are to buy an IOS audio interface and try my luck at garageband. I did some 4 track stuff in the 80’s that sounded great. Nothing since.

Given this, It seems like something like Amplitube might do 2 things. First, it would allow me to explore stomps and tones and how they relate and find some things that might inspire. I assume it sounds decent? A good friend, great guitarist said they sound like crap, but If I dont know any better, maybe good enough for me to learn tones and signal chains on Instead of buying pedals. Second it would be good enough for entry into garageband recording, I assume, but as I think, garageband already has that type of stuff?

My Vox adio air is strictly LOW volume, wife, dog friendly backing track jams around the living room table device.. It works for that. It’s dinner music. At some point I might want a Fender Princeton re-issue 65 or 68 which I could mic for recordings when I find my tone and pedals. And when the wife is gone, have that big real tube air.

Last thought would be some all in one device like an entry Helix or Boss type thing I should either use with monitors or whatever. I always go back to the wife in a small house thing. Everything should be low volume which seems like monitors instead of an amp. I prefer staying away from headphones if possible. Can you get good sound out of monitors? Not sure if The VOX is meant for that. Anyway, thanks for explaining things better. I know I dont want to jump to high end stuff other than a dreaming of Princeton reverb.
Sound approach. I will say one bit of advice. Be it software, hardware unit, etc, when it comes to modelling, the Speaker and CAB simulation, aka the IRs above, are what makes or breaks the tone, imho. Some vendors have great included IRs (Fractal), others have lacked here (Sorry Line 6 folks, though on the Helix you can combine and load 3rd party). So, make sure you can use third party CAB and Speaker IRs.

For Software, I would recommend the following free, available as plugins for a DAW, Positive Grid's Amp BIAS or Amplitube4. Some like the LePou free amp sims as well.

OR, and I really recommend this for you, is go get Positive Grid's BIAS FX II. On sale right now for $49. It has a bunch of great amp models, but also pedal models and effect models. AND, it has a feature CALLED Guitar Match. Basically, it analyazes your guitar's response, then in the software, it will make that guitar emulate others, like a strat. Pretty much what you looked for in OP.

https://www.positivegrid.com/bias-fx/#features

And YES using Monitors can be a great home rig, be it using a PC and Software, or a dedicated Hardware unit. Many of us here do just that. I run JBL 8" Monitors and a Sub Woofer (Some disagree on the Sub. Me, I think it adds that CAB on the floor, feel and tone effect, as the monitors are raised). Sounds great, and what I use most of the time. When I can get louder, I'll run through a Matrix power amp into Xitone 2x12 FRFR.

Latest Threads