Adding to my collection of in progress builds

ejendres

Reaction score
My bud wanted me to build him a Tele so this project has been superseding my others for the past month or so. :lol:

One piece Northern Ash body, roasted maple neck, maple fretboard. Its gonna be a fat Tele. Its really coming together.

Keen eyed people will notice the neck pickup route is oversized. This is to just try and keep the weight down. The ash and neck together currently weights 8 pounds. I going to be doing a forearm and belly carve as well as some swish cheese under the pickguard. I'd love to get the build under 8 assembled.

warprider

Reaction score
Set neck tele? Snake head woulda been a cool look.

Looking forward to the progress.

ejendres

Reaction score
Going even more non-traditional with this T. I need to find a better way to do this, the rasp is a workout.

pshupe

Reaction score
These are really good - and quite aggressive.

I like this gift set microplanes. FreddyG recommended these and the coarse set because as you use them they become less aggressive or become "fine" over time.

Cheers Peter.

ejendres

Reaction score

I like this gift set microplanes. FreddyG recommended these and the coarse set because as you use them they become less aggressive or become "fine" over time.

Cheers Peter.
Ordered! Thanks bud

ejendres

Reaction score
Board radiused:

The rough sanding nearly done. I put a little mineral spirits on there to show the color/grain.

All the hardware is in:

ejendres

Reaction score
Did a finish test for my buddy. He originally wanted butterscotch but that's just not doable with my finishing abilities (basically just stain and oil). Personally I want to just do oil over the ash but I also mixed up a lemon yellow stain as another option for him. I'm hyped on both. I think the Tele is gonna look sick either way.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporter
Reaction score

Cheers Peter.
I bought one of those back when I first started building. I totally don't like it and stopped using it almost right away.
Its too aggressive and difficult to control very well.

Instead I bought the dragon cut rasps from stewmac, and they are absolutely awesome.

ejendres

Reaction score
Sanded to 150 and wiped with mineral spirits. Still tons of sanding to do. Seeing this makes me even sadder than Vano wants yellow :cry:

I think I finally got the side dots in a straight line :lol:

ejendres

Reaction score
More progress!

Got the neck fretted using my new fretting caul and my dads drill press. It worked so nicely. Definitely worth the $30.

Sanded and stained. I wasn't loving the yellow when my buddy asked for it but its growing on me.

Quick mockup, looks like a Tele

First coat of oil applied. The oil definitely mellowed the yellow which I really dig. Its more yellow than it looks in the picture. I grad some more pics tomorrow in the sunlight.