Adam Jones sigs stolen during shipment

DigitalTone

Reaction score
The serial numbers were shown on Trogoly's guitar show recently..
Luckily, the people who would appreciate these and the community have been posting them pretty much everywhere the story is brought up. I know I'll question every one I see from now on. We understand the feelings these instruments bring to our lives, and it's just freakin' wrong to steal that from someone, monetary value be damned. They'll either be found or end up in a private collection beside Beano.

antiferous

Reaction score
Thanks. Fortunately, Sweetwater has been cool throughout and they refunded me. Still thoroughly crushed though. I was going to play this guitar, a lot, not flip it or keep it in its case.
Same here. Ugly or not as people above are saying. This is my 2nd fav guitarist behind Dimebag so I wanted THIS guitar to play as my main guitar. Most 79 SB’s I found were not in good enough condition for me to warrant spending that amount of $.

dsquared

Reaction score
It’s awesome you were able to buy one from a reseller. The scalper prices are really crazy; scalpers are buying from other scalpers and sending prices to the moon (or maybe Arizona Bay)

antiferous

Reaction score
It’s awesome you were able to buy one from a reseller. The scalper prices are really crazy; scalpers are buying from other scalpers and sending prices to the moon (or maybe Arizona Bay)
I’m a grown ass man, and when sweetwater called me and told me what happened I just felt like crying. I seriously have been looking forward to this for a long time and it finally happened. And to be one of the few who purchased one and then this theft occurs. Fuck thieves.

I paid too much from my scalper, but I felt ok because his signed AJ LP was #69 and maybe the profit he made will give him some satisfaction for his loss as well.

Jay4321

Reaction score
I work in this business and there’s a fair list of folks who would have or gain access to this but VASTLY less than an import shipment.

Its possible that the Adam Jones guitars weren’t the target as opposed to a shipment coming out of Gibson location too. It’s not like they make a lot of cheap guitars- plus was the truck full of pallets or what? You’re not getting to the ones behind it easily. Would like to know more details

ARandall

Reaction score
Even then, a rare bird without the fact it was a lefty.
I've never seen a single silverburst lefty from the original run.

PGguy

Reaction score
Crap, they are probably still sitting in Gibson loading dock! Probably never even got loaded! I don't buy it unless I see a Police Report!! Don't worry Gibby has a history of doing "limited Edition" and then turning around and making more than they promised the waiting buyer, JUST like they did the 2003-2005 Sante Fe Sunrise Limited Edition of 275 only, ONLY they just kept making them and stopped numbering them and nobody that will tell you at Gibson knows exactly how many "Limited Edition" were actually made. I wouldn't expect a "Signature" issued to be anything but a money grab, and no you won't sound like SRV even if you buy 10 of them from the Custom Shop!! Hell, you wouldn't even sound like him if you had #1 itself !!!
They will show up as a painted over series in the near future!

PGguy

Reaction score
Thanks. Fortunately, Sweetwater has been cool throughout and they refunded me. Still thoroughly crushed though. I was going to play this guitar, a lot, not flip it or keep it in its case.
Wow, that is amazing customer service, I would buy from Sweetwater, I would not buy from Dave's Guitar, one guy lost all of his deposit on a guitar that the sales manager "stole", and from my understanding it was already sold even when the customer continued making payments. Some had great experiences, others not, with certain retailers.

Last edited:

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Even then, a rare bird without the fact it was a lefty.
I've never seen a single silverburst lefty from the original run.
It was listed at Jerry's Lefty Guitars in 2004. I think it was going for $4,000.00

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Wow, that is amazing customer service, I would buy from Sweetwater, I would not buy from Dave's Guitar, one guy lost all of his deposit on a guitar that the sales manager "stole", and from my understanding it was already sold even when the customer continued making payments. Some had great experiences, others not, with certain retailers.
Wow! Never heard a bad thing about Dave's before. That sucks!

Mr.Bill

Reaction score
...Don't worry Gibby has a history of doing "limited Edition" and then turning around and making more than they promised the waiting buyer, JUST like they did the 2003-2005 Sante Fe Sunrise Limited Edition of 275 only, ONLY they just kept making them and stopped numbering them and nobody that will tell you at Gibson knows exactly how many "Limited Edition" were actually made...
The Ford LTD. LTD stood for "limited". What was the "limit"? As many as they could make...

PGguy

Reaction score
Wow! Never heard a bad thing about Dave's before. That sucks!
There was an issue with poor shipping/packaging for a bit, and another thread on another forum, a bad experience with an amp purchase from Dave's under buyer beware...

Mario St DeHaven

Reaction score
Thieves stole a shipping pallet containing 10+ AJ sigs, signed and unsigned, during shipping to a major US dealer. One was destined for me and there’s little optimism of recovery. These guitars seem to have been specifically targeted.

Gibson is going to make a statement. It’s a first world problem but I am still disappointed. Gibson is not going to make more to replace so bye bye AJ sig for me.
Are they going to reimburse you?

Mario St DeHaven

Reaction score
That sucks. I hope they turn up. I'm guessing the thieves know what they have. If not, they are in for a big surprise when they get caught (assuming the punishment is based on the monetary value of the items stolen). Reverb has them from $13K to $20K.
There's a guy who has suddenly popped up on Ebay named 'mattcran2000', who's selling a brand new Adam Jones 1979 Silverburst Sig Custom VOS 2020 R.I. Lester, might want to check him out, might be yours or one of the others'.

ARandall

Reaction score
Of course Gibson's insurance company and tax returns for lost income will reimburse them for their losses, but I'm concerned about the customers who paid for these nice guitars.
The customers who bought them are perfectly well covered by the shop they bought it from of course.....who is obliged to give them the guitar or refund them according to contract law.

In fact the most dicey part of this is the insurance and who was responsible for the shipping and coverage. Large shops might have their own setup, but generally speaking the manufacturer is responsible for anything going wrong to the point of the product arriving at the retailer. The carrier company will want to go through the whole process of an investigation of what, where, why and when to the nth degree, as its a highly suspicious set of circumstances. This will delay any payout until completion.
Not sure where on earth you've pulled tax returns from....thats irrelevant as they won't have paid any direct profit based tax on these yet, and if there is insurance this will pay out nominally the same value that they would have otherwise received from the getting to the store in the first place.

Hecubus

Reaction score
Not sure where on earth you've pulled tax returns from....thats irrelevant as they won't have paid any direct profit based tax on these yet, and if there is insurance this will pay out nominally the same value that they would have otherwise received from the getting to the store in the first place.
I think he means that Gibson can write off the loss against its profits. This might be similar to what they did when they destroyed all of the surplus Firebird Xs. Since they did not sell them, they were a loss and their value was subtracted from their taxable income from profits. Just guessing, I am not a tax guy.

Mario St DeHaven

Reaction score
I think he means that Gibson can write off the loss against its profits. This might be similar to what they did when they destroyed all of the surplus Firebird Xs. Since they did not sell them, they were a loss and their value was subtracted from their taxable income from profits. Just guessing, I am not a tax guy.
TRUTH TOLD.