Acoustic new top and neck restet question

jerry_arnett

Reaction score
I'm thinking of having my dads old early 60's Gibson lg1 acoustic fixed without him knowing so I dont have any pictures of it .the guitar in question has just sit in the case for years since the top caved in so it will need a new top made and neck reset what kind of ballpark numbers would I be looking at for such a project

DarrellV

Caramel Biscuits! - Wooo!
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can offer on the neck reset part as my 57 CF-100 acoustic needed one after sitting in a northeast attic for 50 years!

I had mine done locally for around $475.00.

Someone else will know more about the top! Ouch!

B. Howard

Reaction score
I do restoration like this on a regular basis, currently re-topping a 51 Martin D-28.

Gibson's are a bit more difficult for a standard neck re-set but if we are putting on a new top a lot of that no longer matters. in fact the neck reset is almost free as most of the labor is covered in re-topping. And of course it may not need any neck angle adjustment, all issues could be the collapsed top.

Specs for an LG1 are Mahogany top and ladder brace so my estimate is based on that. Assuming the rest is solid and does not need much repair when we are inside and a complete clear gloss lacquer re-finish would be in the $1250 range here if the neck set is needed and a little less if it isn't..

jerry_arnett

Reaction score
I do restoration like this on a regular basis, currently re-topping a 51 Martin D-28.

Gibson's are a bit more difficult for a standard neck re-set but if we are putting on a new top a lot of that no longer matters. in fact the neck reset is almost free as most of the labor is covered in re-topping. And of course it may not need any neck angle adjustment, all issues could be the collapsed top.

Specs for an LG1 are Mahogany top and ladder brace so my estimate is based on that. Assuming the rest is solid and does not need much repair when we are inside and a complete clear gloss lacquer re-finish would be in the $1250 range here if the neck set is needed and a little less if it isn't..
I must be wrong about the lg1 it is a lg something it's been a few years since I last looked at it it is a natural finished spruce top

DarrellV

Caramel Biscuits! - Wooo!
Premium Member
Reaction score
I must be wrong about the lg1 it is a lg something it's been a few years since I last looked at it it is a natural finished spruce top
A couple examples of other LG types....

1952 LG-3?
1952-Gibson-LG-3-005.jpg

LG-0

MooCheng

Reaction score
if it is one of the old ladder braced tops, its a good opportunity to change to X brace,
the purists might baulk at the idea but there are many good reasons why ladder bracing ain't used much these days. Imploding tops one of them.

nice thing to do for your dad. it will be wonderful for him to see his old guitar playable

moreles

Reaction score
The ladder braced guitars I've played are all over the place, from acoustically dead to open and singing. I guess that makes since because it is often a cost-saving approach to building, and there's often minimal control of the specs and stiffness of the braces. I have an old ladder-braced Gibson that I would never, ever get rebraced because it sound incredible. But I've played others that have no life at all. Odds are that X-bracing will work better.

Macronaut

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Just a curiosity question....Can an original collapsed/warped top be salvaged with new bracing and reshaping back to original flatness? Or does the top need to e completely replaced?

B. Howard

Reaction score
An X braced Spruce top would increase the price a bit. Make it closer to $1700.

B. Howard

Reaction score

Spotcheck Billy

Reaction score
If I have my facts straight, the LG0 was the all-mahogany version of Gibson's student guitar and the LG1 had the spruce top.

B. Howard

Reaction score
"The LG series were introduced in 1942, with a starting line-up of LG-1, LG-2 and LG-3. However, LG-1 and LG-3 stopped production almost immediately after their debut, until they were re-introduced in 1945. In 1958, LG-0 was also introduced as the low-end model of the series. All these models are 14 ⅛" wide, with mahogany back and sides (except for some World War II models have maple back and sides). LG-0 and LG-1 has mahogany tops with ladder bracing except the '42-'43 LG1, while LG-2 and LG-3 are spruce with X-bracing. LG-0 and LG-1 discontinued in 1974, LG-2 and LG-3 were replaced by B-25 and B-25N in 1962. "

lowatter

Reaction score
Hey Jerry...how 'bout some pics of the guitar??? The folks here can help you better if they know what they're looking at.