(Acoustic) Is this a multi-piece top?

tzd

Reaction score
I notice the majority of this Martin model 000CJR-10E have lines along the top, like this. Is this a 3-piece top?

If it is multi-piece, my next question is, is it possible for an acoustic guitar to be 'solid-top' if it has multiple pieces?

ngob2oq6zflk0f0ajdf8.jpg

ARandall

Reaction score
Many are bookmatched 2 piece..... like that one. Not many bits of spruce full stop are big enough to cover a whole acoustic top. And of course it's a solid top......

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i agree. that looks 2 pc bookmatch. those darker 'lines' you see, i 'm assuming you're interpreting as joints. they are just mirror images of each other, with one seam being in center.

Tweaker

Reaction score
I think the solid-top question is a fair question. The guitar manufacturers don't really specify what they mean by that. So even if it is a bookmatched top, it is still solid in the sense that it isn't a plywood top. It is all solid wood, even though it is two pieces. For the sake of argument, if it were two pieces, but the two pieces were glued on top of each other, forming a "laminate" top of sorts, I wouldn't classify it as a solid top.

I think the key is that there isn't a layer of glue across the entire soundboard on a solid top. On a laminate top, each layer is glued on top of each other. You can see why a solid top is more desirable!

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
Solid top in the acoustic world is referring to the spruce being solid wood, not plywood. A 2 piece top is still solid as long as the 2 pieces aren't plywood. I'm sure if they made a 1 piece solid top that would be very clearly in the description because that would be a very rare piece of wood.

tzd

Reaction score
Thanks all! I don't know much about acoustic guitars. I didn't realize solid top could be joined pieces of wood too! Amazing how they can be glued together so thinly on the edge.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks all! I don't know much about acoustic guitars. I didn't realize solid top could be joined pieces of wood too! Amazing how they can be glued together so thinly on the edge.
Glued together, then planed and sanded to the desired thickness.
The glued joint is stronger than the wood, but even so, the interior is well braced.

Latest Threads