Ace Frehley& the joy of pentatonics

Hellboy

Reaction score
It's not so much the music that hasn't aged well, but the lyrical themes.

Or maybe I've aged too much?

:hmm:
Lyrical themes? Its the music that matters. If I want lyric I read a book. I hate those bands who are sooo political, or something, but the music is worthless junk.

b-squared

Banned
Reaction score
KISS always was and still is about rock & roll and smart business/marketing.

Even as an adult I only care about the rock & roll; I let Gene's accountant worry about the rest. :D They don't claim to be the best song writers on the planet; they write about what they know, and come up with catchy riffs/melodies to go with them. Can't argue with that--I wish more songwriters stuck to that formula.

BB

allbusinessjoe

Reaction score
And the man himself, Les Paul, was down to two or three fret fingers (and often it was pushing it to use three) in the last years of his life thanks to arthritis, and he could and did still say more in two notes or one triad than a million Ace Frehleys ever said in two hundred.
Your opinion is one of which you hold soley on your own. I believe Les Paul died at the age of 94, and I can assure you Les's playing in his latter years as you reference, cannot even approach the playing level of Ace. Not even remotely close.

It's cool that you respect Les for what he has done for the guitar, but I think you still have to give the edge to Ace.

Here is Les playing 4 years ago:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnnt9-EgUxQ&feature=related]YouTube - Les Paul - August 14th 2006[/ame]

charveldan

Banned
Reaction score
Your opinion is one of which you hold soley on your own. I believe Les Paul died at the age of 94, and I can assure you Les's playing in his latter years as you reference, cannot even approach the playing level of Ace. Not even remotely close.

It's cool that you respect Les for what he has done for the guitar, but I think you still have to give the edge to Ace.

Here is Les playing 4 years ago:
YouTube - Les Paul - August 14th 2006
Without Les, there would have been no Ace, unless he was playing a Strat.

allbusinessjoe

Reaction score
Without Les, there would have been no Ace, unless he was playing a Strat.
Who said anything about there "not being a Les?" This is not at all what the poster stated.

The poster was making a statement that Les Paul in his later years could say more than Ace could in less notes.

mbach72

Reaction score
Im not a huge KISS fan and never was. I don't mind their stuff though, its just good ol', straight forward rock n roll. Maybe a 10 year old COULD right some of those songs, maybe Ace never does leve the pentatonic box, but those guys were geniuses for putting the whole package together. I can play three chords and solo in the box but nobody wants to pay money to hear me doing it lol. Like it or not, the fact that people still talk about him and want to hear his music 35 years later shows that being an icon is more than just virtuosity. There has been a lot of KISS without Ace but I dont hear too many guys busting out any Mark St John or Tommy Thayer riffs. Ace had a way of making simple music that sounded good and people wanted to hear.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Lyrical themes? Its the music that matters. If I want lyric I read a book. I hate those bands who are sooo political, or something, but the music is worthless junk.
It doesn't follow that good lyrics equal bad music, so yeah.

ehamady6

Reaction score
As far as pentatonic bliss, Zakk Wylde is catching up to Ace with each Black Label disc.

onvacation

Reaction score
If Rock n' Roll was all just about the music, we wouldn't need Jazz would we?

JS23V0B

Reaction score
I think you hit it on the head. These arguments have been going on since the early '70's. No one is going to settle it here. Love 'em or hate 'em you can't ignore the influence they've had on rock music, not to mention the throngs of guitarists who point to Ace as one of their biggest influences.

Lastly, I remember a little blurb Kiss used to put on the back of their early albums. It said "Kiss plays Gibson Guitars & Pearl Drums because they want the best". For me & my little group of wanna-be's, that statement settled it. I've been a Les Paul man ever since.

charveldan

Banned
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2xDVkiN5V4]YouTube - Zakk Wylde - Pentatonic Hardcore (1 of 6)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyDbDSqx9Vg&feature=related]YouTube - Zakk Wylde - Pentatonic Hardcore (2 of 6)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldLv0g7bVo8&feature=related]YouTube - Zakk Wylde - Pentatonic Hardcore (3 of 6)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFkhN_UbhdY&feature=related]YouTube - Zakk Wylde - Pentatonic Hardcore (4 of 6)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzfy1TdPB2w&feature=related]YouTube - Zakk Wylde - Pentatonic Hardcore (5 of 6)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzBGE6SxJ6U&feature=related]YouTube - Zakk Wylde - Pentatonic Hardcore (6 of 6)[/ame]

Nobody can touch Zakk on Pentatonics, check out the last video.:dude:

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
Thanks charveldan for the great Zach vids.Glad to see alot of you guys were influenced by Ace. I remember talking to my friend Steve T. in '76 bout the lyrics to "Ladies Room"and not understandind why the boys wanted to meet their "women" in the bathroom/especially the ladies bathroom:dude::dude:

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Thanks charveldan for the great Zach vids.Glad to see alot of you guys were influenced by Ace. I remember talking to my friend Steve T. in '76 bout the lyrics to "Ladies Room"and not understandind why the boys wanted to meet their "women" in the bathroom/especially the ladies bathroom:dude::dude:
... especially considering the next lines: "For my money/ you can't be too soon."

Scream And Fly

Reaction score
I have never been a big fan of KISS. I was indifferent about them most of my life. Never a 'fan'. Like someone was saying, they were background tunes. I find, the older I get, the less I can take their music seriously.

I can't fn stand Rock And Roll All Night.

EDIT : The way I see Kiss, it's about everything but the music. A 10 year old kid could write similar stuff, within 2 weeks of picking up an instrument for the first time. That's just my opinion.
That sums up my impression of Kiss, though I grew up in the late 1980s-1990s so they were a bit before my time. :p

Crusader Rabbit

Reaction score
I remember back in the 70's being a teenager me and my friend would go to Manny's Music in NYC and check out the Gibson Les Pauls. One day I was able to give one of these Gibson's a test run. Some guy came up to me and my friend and said hey kid try this riff. He showed me the riff and said practice that one you are going to hear it alot. After that he left the store.

About fifteen minutes later the store salesman came up to me and my friend and said do you know who was the guy that showed you that riff? We replied no. He said that was Ace Frehley. We asked him why did he not tell us that was Ace Frehley we are big fans. The guy replied he was sworn to secrecy.
:shock: WHAT WAS THE RIFF!?!?!?

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Neither did Led Zeppelin :hmm:
According to Wiki:

In their first year, Led Zeppelin managed to complete four US and four UK concert tours, and also released their second album, entitled Led Zeppelin II.[25] Recorded almost entirely on the road at various North American recording studios, the second album was an even greater success than the first and reached the number one chart position in the US and the UK.[41]

WoodyTone

Reaction score
Ace had his own style, unlike anyone else, worked great for the band and his solo stuff (that '78 solo disc is still a great guitar record).

Re: KISS and merch, I've only heard/read Simmons brag about that. Might seem crass, but from a $ standpoint very smart and I don't begrudge him or them that success one bit. In fact, I can think of some KISS swag I'd want in my stocking...you listenin' Santa?!

27sauce

Reaction score
Neither did Led Zeppelin :hmm:
Oh man...

6 #1 albums in the 70's, every album top ten.
LZ didn't release too many singles, but they still had a few top 10. And they didn't have to wear clown makeup to do it! Dragon pajamas...

A better argument would have been Aerosmith.

Comparing Kiss to Led Zeppelin is crazy every way. Silly

Latest Threads