Ace Frehley rocking a Reissue

alnico59

Reaction score
Take this one for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsvtJ2npPiA

I don't like it when we start comparing artists and their abilities. It isn't really a fair thing to do for anyone. Is Joe Bonamassa better than Ace? YES. He's better than just about anyone. But Joe was a little kid when the above video was made. So this is one of the popular guitarists they had in the 70s.

Is Ace technically accurate? Not so much. But he gets some seriously cool tone out of that LP, with some cool sounding pentatonic riffs. With the help of his pedals, he gets some serious sustain, and he had great vibrato. So he plays a decent solo that at the very least sounds cool. He was finger tapping before EVH made it so popular (though Ace may have been using his pick). Ace played Norlins (starts out with what looks like a 70s LP Deluxe t-burst in the above video), usually equipped with DiMarzio super distortions (usually though only the bridge pickup was wired). So he stumbles around in that get up, without falling, plays a cool sounding solo, makes the guitar start smoking (presumably due to his playing LOL). He disappears from the stage, re-emerges with a 3 pickup cherry sunburst LP Custom (also a Norlin), sets the tburst on fire (not really, but I thin it did get singed), then finishes the solo. And the concert was very loud. Back then, this sort of thing was unheard of. Say what you will, love or hate them, it was very innovative and creative. The solo is not bad, actually.
Actually for 1977 that solo and effects were pretty good.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow, I can not believe how this thread has spiraled out of control off topic!

I will say that there are a few solos Ace did (live) in the 70s that I enjoyed. I am not a KISS fan. As stated earlier, I like Ace's guitars more than his playing. Most of his songs are about the same old stuff refurbished and regurgitated in a different way - something about some girl, he did something stupid, wants sex, etc. A lot of rock artists write songs like that. But most of the artists I like are not so one dimensional. With that said, Ace and his songs can be fun.

I think I had a lot of respect for some of the solos he did while tromping around on stage in moon boots / 6 inch platform shoes without falling down! Funny, he does not wear those kinds of boots anymore, but he still tromps around stage the same way & looks like he might fall!

Take this one for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsvtJ2npPiA

I don't like it when we start comparing artists and their abilities. It isn't really a fair thing to do for anyone. Is Joe Bonamassa better than Ace? YES. He's better than just about anyone. But Joe was a little kid when the above video was made. So this is one of the popular guitarists they had in the 70s.

Is Ace technically accurate? Not so much. But he gets some seriously cool tone out of that LP, with some cool sounding pentatonic riffs. With the help of his pedals, he gets some serious sustain, and he had great vibrato. So he plays a decent solo that at the very least sounds cool. He was finger tapping before EVH made it so popular (though Ace may have been using his pick). Ace played Norlins (starts out with what looks like a 70s LP Deluxe t-burst in the above video), usually equipped with DiMarzio super distortions (usually though only the bridge pickup was wired). So he stumbles around in that get up, without falling, plays a cool sounding solo, makes the guitar start smoking (presumably due to his playing LOL). He disappears from the stage, re-emerges with a 3 pickup cherry sunburst LP Custom (also a Norlin), sets the tburst on fire (not really, but I think it did get singed), then finishes the solo. And the concert was very loud. Back then, this sort of thing was unheard of. Say what you will, love or hate them, it was very innovative and creative. The solo is not bad, actually.

I will say that I believe Ace may have been burned a few times with that smoking technology they used back then. And I have seen detailed pics of his smoking guitars; very burned out. These days I believe he uses a bright light and dry ice!

He was very creative in many ways. I believe he designed the KISS logo, and he is the one who came up with most of their face paint designs. Most of KISS's most popular songs were written by Ace, though he let Gene and Paul sing them. The whole spaceman routine and makeup is over the top for me. But it was an entertaining show for anyone who went. They got a loud rock show that did not disappoint. They built an army. Surprisingly, all of the original members are still alive, and to my knowledge, Gene and Paul never did drugs; and Ace is supposedly clean for the last few years.

That's just it John, nobody, including myself will or can deny their marketing abilities, or the "performance" if you will. A good comparison would be WWE or WWF wrestling. The men/women in the ring are athletic, but are not athletes. It is a façade. They are roided out freaks putting on a show. You go to see a show, and any real athlete who competes and plays a real sport laughs at anyone that would call WWE a "sport". It made millions though didn't it?

Kiss is to music what WWE is to sports. Gene and the rest are the Hulk Hogan's of rock and roll. Famous, yes. Rich, yes. A performer, yes. A musician....:laugh2:....yeah, and Hulk Hogan is a world class athlete.

Lefty Adams

Reaction score
What a totally ****ed up thread this turned out to be, never seen so much **** written about Kiss in my whole life, ridiculous!

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's just it John, nobody, including myself will or can deny their marketing abilities, or the "performance" if you will. A good comparison would be WWE or WWF wrestling. The men/women in the ring are athletic, but are not athletes. It is a façade. They are roided out freaks putting on a show. You go to see a show, and any real athlete who competes and plays a real sport laughs at anyone that would call WWE a "sport". It made millions though didn't it?

Kiss is to music what WWE is to sports. Gene and the rest are the Hulk Hogan's of rock and roll. Famous, yes. Rich, yes. A performer, yes. A musician....:laugh2:....yeah, and Hulk Hogan is a world class athlete.

I hear what you are saying. And to an extent I agree that it was more of a side show. But whether they are musicians is undeniable. Talent level is hard to gauge. But they made a lot of records and sold millions and millions of albums, not videos of the side show. Many, many people loved their music (I know, hard to believe!). But it is a fact. I know A LOT of rabid KISS fans. They love the band, the music, the drama among members / former members, etc. Most people think Ace was the most talented out of all of them. But the original 4 members sold a lot of records. And many people were inspired to play guitar by Ace. In fact several famous guitarists were inspired to play by Ace.

The thing is, each of us has an opinion. And it is exactly that. It doesn't mean everyone is right or wrong. BTW, who was the Olympian wrestler who became a "pro" wrestler? It does happen. And I do believe those guys are athletes. But they are also actors, very bad ones. And everyone knows all of the matches are scripted & the winner is predetermined - just like our upcoming presidential election! (The fix is in!) Sorry, had to put that out there!

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying. And to an extent I agree that it was more of a side show. But whether they are musicians is undeniable. Talent level is hard to gauge. But they made a lot of records and sold millions and millions of albums, not videos of the side show. Many, many people loved their music (I know, hard to believe!). But it is a fact. I know A LOT of rabid KISS fans. They love the band, the music, the drama among members / former members, etc. Most people think Ace was the most talented out of all of them. But the original 4 members sold a lot of records. And many people were inspired to play guitar by Ace. In fact several famous guitarists were inspired to play by Ace.

The thing is, each of us has an opinion. And it is exactly that. It doesn't mean everyone is right or wrong. BTW, who was the Olympian wrestler who became a "pro" wrestler? It does happen. And I do believe those guy are athletes. But they are also actors, very bad ones. And everyone knows all of the matches are scripted & the winner is predetermined - just like our upcoming presidential election! (The fix is in!) Sorry, had to put that out there!
LOL. For sure on the election. Not sure on the Olympian guy, but I remember something about that. One thing for sure, the latest ACE guitar was AWESOME! That I will never argue.

LPMarshall Hack

Reaction score
Never really gave Ace too much thought before this thread. Because of this thread, I checked out some videos. Now I have a profound d appreciation for Ace.

Thanks thread!!!

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
LOL. For sure on the election. Not sure on the Olympian guy, but I remember something about that. One thing for sure, the latest ACE guitar was AWESOME! That I will never argue.
The olympian guy was Mark Schultz, his brother was murdered by John Du Pont.

Vegetable

Reaction score
I think you may mean Kurt Angle, Olympic gold in '96, then went on to join the WWE.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
I think you may mean Kurt Angle, Olympic gold in '96, then went on to join the WWE.
How far off topic can we go, but yes Kurt too. I guess I am a " freak show geek". KISS, WWE, and SOUTH PARK.........:thumb:

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I thought it was him. He was in the news a few days ago for allegedly admitting taking something like 65 vicodin a day in his hay day.

Back on topic: I like the fact that Ace is playing the TH in that video. I always thought that if he had played his 59 on stage that maybe he would be looked at differently. (Of course, I don't think he bought it until 77 or 78?)

hackenfort

Reaction score
I know Ace's old LP very well, it was native to CNY.

Short version of a long story, but a now deceased friend of mine Gary acquired that guitar in near perfect condition from someone else that was very close to me, a fellow I loved dearly but bought the LP with the dream of playing of playing country music (that never happened).

Gary ended up trading two guitars and some cash for the burst. He did as any musician did at the time, he played that guitar out in bars for the next several years often plugged into a Marshall. Gary was not only a good friend but also one of if not the best guitar player I have ever known. Gary truly loved that guitar and made it sing, I remember seeing he play that guitar at many local clubs here in CNY.

As the market for bursts was getting better, a broker approached Gary, he ended up selling him the guitar. Gary always regretted selling it, and he had the chance to buy it back, but it did not happen. Gary told me that the broker sold it to a famous artist.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I know Ace's old LP very well, it was native to CNY.

Short version of a long story, but a now deceased friend of mine Gary acquired that guitar in near perfect condition from someone else that was very close to me, a fellow I loved dearly but bought the LP with the dream of playing of playing country music (that never happened).

Gary ended up trading two guitars and some cash for the burst. He did as any musician did at the time, he played that guitar out in bars for the next several years often plugged into a Marshall. Gary was not only a good friend but also one of if not the best guitar player I have ever known. Gary truly loved that guitar and made it sing, I remember seeing he play that guitar at many local clubs here in CNY.

As the market for bursts was getting better, a broker approached Gary, he ended up selling him the guitar. Gary always regretted selling it, and he had the chance to buy it back, but it did not happen. Gary told me that the broker sold it to a famous artist.

Maybe Uncle Lou was the broker and Al Romano was the "famous artist"?

TheX

Voice of Reason
Reaction score
What a totally ****ed up thread this turned out to be, never seen so much **** written about Kiss in my whole life, ridiculous!
Yeah, people sharing opinions. How dare they!!!!!

dyrhee

Reaction score
I have never heard of him using it, not have I ever seen pics of him using it. Pretty sure it was only used on is KISS solo album.
It was used on Dynasty as well. And possibly used on Unmasked.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

jco.1

Reaction score
And I believe Rocket Ride before the solo album. I'm pretty sure someone posting in this thread is already pretty aware of this. :hmm:

Dilemma

Loud Pipes Ruin Naps
Reaction score
How much for an autograph. I am a loyal fan.

$300? $600?
Free autograph included with three lesson of your choice. They must be our songs and you can't pick a solo I'm unable to play.