Scotty Moore!

Man i'm old...........

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
What inspired me to piss off my parents.................ACE FREHLEY.:naughty:

jlb32

Reaction score
While I believe Ace has inspired a lot of people to play guitar, I don't think you can prove he inspired more people than any other artist. A few artists come to mind, who probably inspired more people - Jimmy Page, Slash, Hendrix, etc.....
I'd personally add James Hetfield to that list. IMO he's probably inspired more harder rock/metal players than any other player in history that are not from the 70's rock style. He also plays/owns a ton of Gibsons and several Original Bursts.

Why he doesn't have any Gibson Signature model is beyond me. Just blame it on Henry is a dumbass. :D

Keefoman

Reaction score
Thing about Ace is you felt he did something you could copy. But to "write" it is another thing. I think Ace has a lot of great solos noone else could have written. Not very technical, but it's original and true.

J-Dizzle

Reaction score
Gotta love the butthurt everytime an Ace thread emerges on MLP.

So you hate Kiss? Thats OK. Bear in mind that probably 90% of what you hate about Kiss (Kiss Kaskets, Kiss Kondoms & other Kiss Krap) Gene Simmons & Paul Stanley are probably responsible for. Ace was the one trying to keep them focused on being a rock n roll band.

So you think he's not a very good guitarist? Who cares? Even he knows he's not that great.

What IS important is that Ace is responsible for inspiring an entire generation of kids to play guitar. In terms of influence he's right up there with the greats. That's a legacy that anyone can be proud of.

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
yep...

I never cared for the make up...I heard Kiss first....then enjoyed the show later.

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well that's settled then. ;)

You know what made me want to play guitar? The DG 335. That's right, a drummer and 3rd guitar players guitar made me want to learn at age 32 with no musical history. It is what it is. I can name the members who like and dislike Ace, bonamassa, Clapton, slash, all the polarizing players. You like who you like. BFD

LPSPP

Reaction score
A lot of Jealousy in this thread.............. :hmm:

serch777

Reaction score
I was a huge KISS fan as a teenager. Currently, I still like their all their stuff until Creatures of the Night, but I really dislike Gene and Paul's personalities. Having said that, I've always considered Ace a very talented musician who never bothered to develop his skills. He has a great sense of melody and he knows how to write great riffs, where to put the right notes on the solos, etc. If he had been more dedicated to his technique and theory, he would have done jaw-dropping stuff. Still, I really respect him and he's probably the only reason I still love watching 1974-1982 KISS shows. Just my opinion. :)

Mr_Jojo

Reaction score
Shock me- It´s hard to judge a guitar player so many years later. Back in the day he was doing pretty interesting stuff on a rock guitar. Respect

phil b

Reaction score
Sure Ace was sloppy but so was Page and Hendrix. Back in the day his playing was very melodic with a very killer rock and roll vibrato..! When I hear him go off in these types of vids I cringe a little bit, but he did raise the bar with his sound and chops in the early years. I would rather listen to a catchy Ace solo then a Slash solo any day. :thumb: His Kiss solo album had some good writing and some great chops. Gotta give him credit, :)

Latest Threads