ACDC Tone Check

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I agree with Freddy.

Plus, when you record it, stand up and give it some power, like Pete does.

Exactly. The 'tude comes through in the recording. Just the other day I was watching a Pete Thorn live stream and he told of a time when he was recording for Courtney Love....he finished a take and she said "try it again, but this time put your cock in it" hahaha....what a quote. But so true!

dspelman

Reaction score
Most of the AC/DC sound actually comes from Malcolm. He was using that Gretsch with a Filtertron and 12's (I think), since he wasn't doing a lot of lead or bending. Not much gain going on. Apparently the Schaffer-Vega wireless units they used had a lot to do with the overall tone. They used them in studio as well.

I know a lot is made of the SG's role in the AC/DC sound because it's out front, but a critical listening will tell you how important that old Gretsch and Filtertron is to the overall sound.

https://solodallas-shop.com/products/schaffer-replica-ex-tower-by-solodallas -- but it's $1300!

LP1865

Reaction score
I came across Solo Dallas earlier, and was intrigued by their products. They also have a pedal they sell, it's just $250. However, my goal was to use free plugins to achieve his tone, so I can't use the pedal

dspelman

Reaction score
I came across Solo Dallas earlier, and was intrigued by their products. They also have a pedal they sell, it's just $250. However, my goal was to use free plugins to achieve his tone, so I can't use the pedal
Nonetheless, it's worth analyzing how the pedal (or the tower) changes the sound -- there's boost, compression, some EQ tricks and more built into that tower (or those old wireless).

I have an amp that's NOT a Marshall, but that's been heavily tweaked, and one of the tweaks is the addition of a second "presence" pot. But this one regulates the amount of negative feedback applied, from the stock amount down to zero. The clean channel remains clean until you dig in, and then you find a lot of "hair" that's similar to what the Solo Dallas produces. A lot of ways to get to the promised land.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This might give you some ideas:

The first is Malcolm, isolated, at Donington. The second is the whole band at Donington.
That's awesome! Just listen to how little distortion Malcolm had....it's easiest to tell when he's doing single note runs at around 3:00.

NotScott

Reaction score
Angus provided the energy but Malcolm provided the sound.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
good work, i have just discovered what is mentioned quite a bit above. I have discovered, since getting my Friedman, that if you hit hard the sound just becomes a thing of beauty. what j have also discovered is my alnico blues are not the speaker for me.

dspelman

Reaction score
Your sound has more gain and more "splat". Notice the "ring" that Malolm's got.
See if you can borrow someone's filtertron-equipped guitar for a day (or use the "rental" at a GC for a bit) and see how close you can get with that. Then try to get the same or similar results with your SG.

LP1865

Reaction score
About the isolated tracks afore mentioned, they may actually be mesa boogie amps. Lots of people have confirmed this.
I'll be getting back to work on the tone again, I'm busy with another project as we realised ACDC songs aren't really child-friendly

Latest Threads