ACDC Tone Check

LP1865

Reaction score
Hey guys!!
Sat around today and came up with this tone for some ACDC collabs I'll be doing soon.
https://soundcloud.com/aayush-khare-353145607%2Facdc-tone-check let me know what you think of it.
Guitar used is my Epiphone LP with Tonerider Rocksongs.
I'd like you guys to guess what amp and cab I used.
If you guys like it, i might make a youtube tutorial on getting the tone.

P.S. Excuse the sloppy playing

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Sounding good! You're getting there. I'm thinking it could have more punch, while lowering the distortion some. I used to use gobs of distortion for AC/DC, but realized that they aren't playing with high, heavy grit. There is something to the way they hit the chords.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah the tone sounds good, but needs less distortion. There's a lot less distortion on those old AC/DC and Zeppelin songs, etc., than people think. It sounds fine for a modernized rendition, though.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Yeah the tone sounds good, but needs less distortion. There's a lot less distortion on those old AC/DC and Zeppelin songs, etc., than people think. It sounds fine for a modernized rendition, though.
There's a physicality to playing those AC/DC riffs. Just look at Malcolm in action...he's bashing those strings with his right hand!

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I always think of Immigrant Song for this kind of stuff. You think it sounds heavy in your mind/memory, but then when you go back and actually listen to it, there's far less distortion than you think, and a lot more top end.

LP1865

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys. I think I'll work towards decreasing the distortion. The problem I face when pulling it down is that the bass becomes flubby.
Any recommendations on how to counter that?

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys. I think I'll work towards decreasing the distortion. The problem I face when pulling it down is that the bass becomes flubby.
Any recommendations on how to counter that?
If a pickup change is too much, I love using a Rangemaster treble booster clone for this. I nicknamed mine the ‘woof shaver’.

LP1865

Reaction score
If you want that clear yet crunchy rhythm tone, you need Filtertrons like Malcolm used. They will get you right there.
That's not gonna be possible. I have an Epiphone, and Filtertrons are not gonna go well with other genres I play.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
New clip is sounding good. One thing to remember when messing around like this is you are playing alone. You have nothing else to add to the percussive sounds on the track, especially drums! In my experience, it’s often why I have too much distortion for the song I’m covering.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I'll look into that. I managed to tame the flubby bass to sound good tho, used an Eq up front of the amp
Rangemaster clones are not hard to track down. Many builders have their own version, and they’re usually a staple of small builders. Mine was only $100 and it’s been a profound addition to my playing experience.

LP1865

Reaction score
Rangemaster clones are not hard to track down. Many builders have their own version, and they’re usually a staple of small builders. Mine was only $100 and it’s been a profound addition to my playing experience.
Well, I have something to confess.
The whole recording was made on free plugins from Garageband.
Guitar straight into the Interface.
Nothing in between.
Looking for a rangemaster plugin tho. garageband has one in its pedalboard

mdubya

Reaction score
I like clip 2 much better.

Roll your pickup volume down to 5 - 7 to lower the distortion.

AC/DC tones are more bark, less distortion.

Clip 2 is getting there, though.

LP1865

Reaction score
I've worked on the tone more an I will alter it.
What i was doing earlier was using the middle position on my LP, with neck on volume on 7 and bridge on 10.
After researching and watching several interviews with Angus, I've learnt he uses his bridge pickup only, with volume rolled between 7.5 to 8.5 while playing rhythm, and turns it to 10 for his solos. Pretty smart IMHO, everyone nowadays just uses boosts and ODs.
Going to implement that into my playing. Recording coming tomorrow for sure.

Latest Threads