About this guitar... worth it?

Eagle X

Reaction score
Hi there, this is exactly the link I was sharing. That is the guitar I'm talking about.

Do you think it's worth it?

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
Yeah, soz.
I realised after posting.
I'm a dunce.
Not worth it to me, but each to their own.
That's almost the price of a new Gibby Std though.
For that, I wouldn't be looking at a Tokai.

I just googled "Used TOKAI LS-75 HDC MIJ Les Paul Standard" and found others, for less (varying reasons).
Have to ask why you'd opt for a Tokai, rather than an Epi', or even a Gibby?

Eagle X

Reaction score
Yeah, soz.
I realised after posting.
I'm a dunce.
Not worth it to me, but each to their own.
That's almost the price of a new Gibby Std though.
For that, I wouldn't be looking at a Tokai.

I just googled "Used TOKAI LS-75 HDC MIJ Les Paul Standard" and found others, for less (varying reasons).
Have to ask why you'd opt for a Tokai, rather than an Epi', or even a Gibby?

Thank you.

However I'm curious about 'the price of a new Gibby Std'. Here in Australia a Gibson Les Paul Standard sells for $4299 AUD new or $3000 used. It's much more expensive than this Tokai.

Are we talking about different things?

Roxy13

Reaction score
Some Tokais are very high end! And despite having the best specs out there are still significantly less money than a comparable Gibson. And the QC tends to be quite a bit better as well.

As for this particular model and your being in Australia I really can't advise you regarding the price though. Maybe @jimmyjames can?

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
Wow.
Heckuva difference to the U.K. then.
Serves ya right for Fosters.
;)

I just checked and hadn't realised that prices have gone up a lot in the U.K. too, since I last looked.
World's gone mad.

Eagle X

Reaction score
It has been many many years since you could buy a Gibson LP Standard for $1200 in the USA. lol

As I googled it seems 10 to 15 years ago Greco Super Real models were $500 to $600 USD. Now it's tripled. The world is on fire.

Last edited:

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
It's really hard for people from other countries to comment on your market. They dont know shit about what things cost for you or even the availability of products in your area. I would only consider you might be able to do better importing from Japan somehow but that's a guess. I heard that AUS gets a $800 import limit before duty. If that's true you might be able to save there somehow.

That would be a veneer top on a 75.

Grenville

Reaction score
Nah, the A$1000 import limit before duty was scrapped a couple of years ago thanks to the campaigning and public crying of a local discount retailer.

Eagle X, my opinion is if you can spend the money you will have a very nice guitar. Cheaper than a Gibson, cheaper than you could get a new Japanese Tokai, likely a veneer or photo flame top.

You will have duty plus gst charges on top of the retail price. With that in mind, you may find a locally sold used Japanese Tokai for that much or less if you're patient. Or keep your eye on the classifieds in this here Single Cut section of the forum.

ALSO, I'm assuming ninjaguitars on Ebay don't actually own the guitar they are selling; it's probably in a store in Japan at a lower price and ninjaguitars are acting as a broker, of a sort - they're listing someone elses guitar and if you buy it from them they will go and buy it from the other seller. https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/sellers-on-ebay-who-do-not-own-the-guitars-they-sell.367041/

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Some Tokais are very high end! And despite having the best specs out there are still significantly less money than a comparable Gibson. And the QC tends to be quite a bit better as well.

As for this particular model and your being in Australia I really can't advise you regarding the price though. Maybe @jimmyjames can?
Oh! Hello! Sorry I'm late! :thumb: Yeah, agree with all the aboves, be a veneer. Wouldn't bring anything your Grec ain't got :yesway:

zeneffect

Reaction score
Oh you have a greco? I have a few tokai wall hangars and a momose wall hangar because I love my cheezy super real that much. Maybe play with the free stuff you can on your current before dropping a chunk of cash. Pole piece height, pickup height, maybe top wrap the tail piece. It's surprising how a minimal approach can transform an instrument.

nopea

Reaction score
I was at a local (small) music shop the other day and I saw 3 brand new Tokai Love Rocks in different color finishes - I am not sure of the modal but they were each 96,000 yen (so a lower tier I am sure). But that is the current price for a new Tokai in Japan.

Grenville

Reaction score
2k is def too much. Thats 1978 ls100 territory.

A$2k = Australian money, worth about 1/3 less than US$2k, ie about $1400 US dollars.

If a 1978 LS100 surfaced locally for that I'd consider it bargain of the decade.

I was at a local (small) music shop the other day and I saw 3 brand new Tokai Love Rocks in different color finishes - I am not sure of the modal but they were each 96,000 yen (so a lower tier I am sure). But that is the current price for a new Tokai in Japan.

The model does make a difference, different models are at different price points.

Superficially similar looking guitars can be priced from well under a thousand dollars to a few thousand.

Latest Threads