A

BKS

Reaction score
I have a luthier build guitar as (at the time) it was impossible to find what I wanted.
Even the luthier first said it could not be done but he did....
_20190506_124540_compress78.jpg

It is a baritone.

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I can see that the typical American manufacturers doesn't really do "custom shop" but more like a catalogue build. Prs act the same, even though they claim to be able to build what ever. Then you ask them and get a "no, can't do that". But for now I will wait until later this year. Do a M2M quote and see if they can or not. Then Gibson custom shop is just as disappointing as PRS claimed custom shop.

Then ESP is the only big brand out there, able to deliver true custom shop guitars.

Maybe you're taking the word "custom" too literally.

It's a custom shop in the sense that they will customize an instrument to your requests, but within their templates, models and means.

I understand ESP has this creative custom shop where you can order absolutely anything. That's amazing, but they're the exception, not the rule.

LeftyBlake84

Reaction score
Well I can see that the typical American manufacturers doesn't really do "custom shop" but more like a catalogue build. Prs act the same, even though they claim to be able to build what ever. Then you ask them and get a "no, can't do that". But for now I will wait until later this year. Do a M2M quote and see if they can or not. Then Gibson custom shop is just as disappointing as PRS claimed custom shop.

Then ESP is the only big brand out there, able to deliver true custom shop guitars.
ESP Japan Custom Shop, that is. And you’ll be waiting like 2-3 years or whatever the backlog is up to now. Actually I’m not even sure they’re taking orders currently. ESP USA is truly disappointing as well, catalog builds as they say. Lots of folks call the US one a custom shop but, it’s not, and as time marches on, neither is Gibson’s custom shop or M2M, at least not in the way we think of what the word Custom usually means.

DBDM

Reaction score
I was toying around with the thought of getting a M2M LP. I went to the Gibson Garage and upon leaving what I had determined is that I had my choice of wood/grain for the top (you get to pick the actual board), choice of neck, choice of pickups, choice of colors and color schemes (this was the one part they seemed VERY flexible about), and a choice of hardware from within the confines of the historic guitars (R8-R0). They were pretty clear that I could have any of that and mix and match as much as I wanted but that was about "it". It is a wide variety of a lot of options but certainly not "unlimited--we will build it however you want". Details like adding a veloute or other questions I had were shot down fairly quickly. So to sum it up--pretty much any single detail on an R8-R0--mixed and matched how you want them and painted however you wish is what you get to choose. As some have mentioned--subtracting a detail (like having one humbucker) is also an option. That was my experience and I am sure others have been told different things.

moreles

Reaction score
Several responses here are too casually given and do not consider what is actually being discussed -- that is, physical changes to a built object. Moving a jack on a pickguard is relatively easy, though most posters here would screw it up. Moving a jack mounted into wood is major and depending on proposed location ranges from impossible/destabilizing to relatively straightforward. It also generally requires eliminating the standard wiring rout and cutting a new one, if possible. Gibson is almost entirely a factory, with a Custom Shop for both limited runs and one-offs. Unless the buyer is asking for something that can mostly be done by juggling existing parts and design fairly easily, we're talking about a special build and that is going t cost a ton under their production model. For a guy who makes custom designs in a small shop, however, such changes may not be costly at all since they're building individual guitars, not assembling production-line parts, already. I'm not a fan of Gibson as a corporation, though they are changing their culture somewhat. They do not exist to deliver cost-effective guitars to help your budget; they exist to get as much of every buyer's money as possible. They're not going to help you cut costs at their loss.

metalmike222

Reaction score
Several responses here are too casually given and do not consider what is actually being discussed -- that is, physical changes to a built object. Moving a jack on a pickguard is relatively easy, though most posters here would screw it up. Moving a jack mounted into wood is major and depending on proposed location ranges from impossible/destabilizing to relatively straightforward. It also generally requires eliminating the standard wiring rout and cutting a new one, if possible. Gibson is almost entirely a factory, with a Custom Shop for both limited runs and one-offs. Unless the buyer is asking for something that can mostly be done by juggling existing parts and design fairly easily, we're talking about a special build and that is going t cost a ton under their production model. For a guy who makes custom designs in a small shop, however, such changes may not be costly at all since they're building individual guitars, not assembling production-line parts, already. I'm not a fan of Gibson as a corporation, though they are changing their culture somewhat. They do not exist to deliver cost-effective guitars to help your budget; they exist to get as much of every buyer's money as possible. They're not going to help you cut costs at their loss.

I typed out a similar response last night, but deleted it as I didn't think the OP would want to hear it, but I agree. For a TRULY custom instrument like he's wanting, IF Gibson were willing to do it, and I'm highly doubtful that they would, they would likely charge WAY more for it than the independent luthiers that the OP seems to have a problem with for some reason.

BKS

Reaction score
Enough really good luthiers on here that could build what he wants. Just will not have Gibson on the headstock.

LeftyBlake84

Reaction score
As far as I know esp cs Japan have 14 - 16 months of lead time. What I have heard about 2 months ago.
Fish around on the ESP Fanatics group on FB and you'll find folks being told 2 years, or have been waiting that long already. Probably overall -greatly- varies based on spec and model. Maybe some of these folks are declining tops without enough figuring, etc. Who knows ‍

But IMHO ESP Japan is one of the top "actually a custom shop" shops. At that scale and name recognition. Maybe Fender can do wild stuff but all the big name US based places act more like "have it your way but it's gotta be a menu item." ‍

LeftyBlake84

Reaction score
Enough really good luthiers on here that could build what he wants. Just will not have Gibson on the headstock.
Yeah, if a customer wants to throw a sticker on it or waterslide, go for it. If it has to come outta Nashville, that ship has sailed, taken on water, and sunk into the atlantic YEARS ago.

Go for a Sorokin! Now that's a "close enough and damned good" for probably what he'd throw at Gibson to say "no, sorry" four times.

LeftyBlake84

Reaction score
I think the other thing is
"an expensive copy" built by a skilled luthier to your spec is....by definition, by its utility, its quality, and etc...pick a metric...as good as or better than what would come out of the custom shop. It was a good enough option for Slash ...it just won't have the headstock and the inlay name.

But on that last point, I get it. We're not here on MLP because we don't all kinds deep down really love that headstock

I'm just saying functionally you can have a better made and tighter QC'd instrument going with a respected luthier.

LeftyBlake84

Reaction score
I think the other thing is
"an expensive copy" built by a skilled luthier to your spec is....by definition, by its utility, its quality, and etc...pick a metric...as good as or better than what would come out of the custom shop. It was a good enough option for Slash ...it just won't have the headstock and the inlay name.

But on that last point, I get it. We're not here on MLP because we don't all kinds deep down really love that headstock

I'm just saying functionally you can have a better made and tighter QC'd instrument going with a respected luthier.

I mean I scroll through the demo/mod shop customs and it's like they let someone's kid use the spray gun and binding files. But they want your $4500

smk506

Reaction score
I mean I scroll through the demo/mod shop customs and it's like they let someone's kid use the spray gun and binding files. But they want your $4500

There have been a few demo shop guitars that caught my eye, but they were always priced hundred or thousands over where I would personally value them.

They sell though. Shows what I know I guess but I’m genuinely surprised sometimes.

LeftyBlake84

Reaction score
There have been a few demo shop guitars that caught my eye, but they were always priced hundred or thousands over where I would personally value them.

They sell though. Shows what I know I guess but I’m genuinely surprised sometimes.
Haha no I agree, not sure why they sell (though to see the cleaner ones flip within a month is...well it's Reverb games at that point, especially something stupid like asking $2800 or w/e for a LP Special that's just seafoam instead of yellow.) but I guess every time Gibson cranks $2-$300 onto models every year they tend to look like a deal in the short term.

Doc Richards

Reaction score
I was getting ready to buy a 1275 a year ago and asked if I could get the standard leaf inlays from an SG on both necks. They didn't quote me a price, but they say I'd have to wait two years for a made to order model. Cancelled the order. Bought a Martin instead.

blackat

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Back when I had connections at Gibson custom shop I entertained having them make a custom flying V for me.
Nothing krazy mind you.
Came with a 12k price tag. This was circa 2006

I got the impression they really didn’t want to do it

Latest Threads