A Yooper saying Hi

billq

Reaction score
Greetings, all.

Here's my Les Paul story... sorry if this is a bit long.

Karl was a great friend that I met in school. We were both going for EE degrees, and would meet up for breakfast before classes. We got to know each other better, and I found out he played, so he'd come over to my place and play for my wife and I, and our daughter, who was about 5 at the time. She loved to listen. Karl loved to play Eddie Van Halen, Rik Emmett, Ted Nugent, and Bob Segar licks. He was pretty young at the time, but had talent, and loved to play. This was around 1984 or so. As the years went on, and we went separate ways, we kept in touch, and would go to see Karl play with various bands he had hooked up with. They venue was usually a bar or street festival, and between sets we'd catch up on where our lives had taken us. Karl was a really funny guy - one of those guys that would have a way about him that made him easy going and personable. Whenever we got together, a great time was guaranteed.

Years went by, and Karl moved out east, so getting together was a lot less frequent. We moved away for a bit, also, and lost touch, until one night when there was a group of old friends that got together and said, we should see what Karl is up to! We gave him a call at the last number we had for him - and the cell was answered by someone we didn't recognize. We found out it was his nephew, who asked why we were calling him. We explained we hadn't seen him in a long time and wanted to get together. His nephew said that Karl had just been killed that night in an accident on his Harley. We were all in shock, and the flood of memories of Karl washed over us.

A few days later, we were at Karl's funeral. His sister came over to me following the service, and thanked me for being such a good friend for all the years. She said Karl always spoke of our friendship as one of the things he could always count on, and it meant so much to him. I had no idea what it had meant to him, but I know to this day it means the same to me. She also said that Karl would have wanted me to have one of his guitars, and I should let her know which one I would like. I told her that I was honored by this, and would always cherish it as a token of our friendship. A few months went by, and I had forgotten about what she said, when I got a call from her saying I should stop by their house sometime. When I did, she handed me a case, and the guitar inside was a Gibson Les Paul deluxe cherry sunburst.

To a great friend, Karl - RIP.

IMG_20190613_135605.jpg

Last edited:

Fillmore

Reaction score
Welcome....

A wonderful story. You must feel quite honored to have had such a friend. That's one awesome LP.

I'm pretty new here myself and can say you've come to the right place.

All the best.

billq

Reaction score
Wow. That is an amazing (but quite sad) story.

There's almost something cosmic in how the urge to reach out coincided with him passing away.

It's also amazing that you've been here nine years, and this is your first post!

Welcome (back) to MLP. Never change anything on that guitar other than the strings.
I'm a bit slow :rolleyes: - tend to read more that post, and that was a difficult post to make. I can still hear his voice - if you knew him, you'd understand. It's really tough losing such a great friend.

S. Rock

Reaction score
welcome to the forum. Great Story ! my wife is from the UP. are you still there ? and what year did you graduate from HS ?

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to a great place. Quite the introduction, you were very lucky to have a friend like that.

Reactions: Who

billq

Reaction score
welcome to the forum. Great Story ! my wife is from the UP. are you still there ? and what year did you graduate from HS ?
I've been out of the UP for about 40 years, and headed back soon. Born and raised in Ishpeming, HS class of '76.

bullnose

Reaction score
Welcome from a down state fudge sucker. My condolences on the loss of your friend.

I will be north of the bridge next month for work. Looking forward to it.

Curious George

Reaction score
Touching story... dont ever let that guitar go!!!...and welcome!

bblooz

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
So sorry to hear of your loss of Karl, but welcome to you brother! From another Michiganer, eh!

Caretaker

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, but happy for your gain.
Welcome to the asylum.