A warning for the curious.

12watt

Reaction score
This body is 28 years old.

I agree, this outlook I seem to portray does seem very pessimistic, but the sort of view I take is, if I cant do something I am passionate about then Im not going to put up with it and thats a very dangerous mindset to be in which I am fully aware of. If everybody started to think like that, quite a few people would be terrified they might be losing control over the majority.

Maybe being passionate about things is what gives meaning and purpose. Theres little else that seems to...I maybe have a low tolerance level for doing things I hate, why does it sound that crazy? I dont know, societies expectations, the conditioning...working hard is the noble thing to do....Is a misconception. Theres a lot of things going on and many remain oblivious, but the signs show that they are starting to wake up over the past few decades.

Sounds like the ramblings of a mad man huh? 'stop smoking that shit you crazy fool' Maybe the spooky thing is Ive never been on drugs, as somebody shouts out 'yeah! maybe you should be, prozac'

Might sound weird and people might instantly have a strong opposing opinion and urge to react and say things like that but Id invite them to think about it a little. (dont mistake that as being patronising, if is sounded so then thats not the intention at all, I dont pretend to be cleer in the slightest.) I think below the negative vibe theres something there that seems to make sense and it's not about being selfish.

.....maybe say something like oh will you get over yourself, cheer up it might never happen, theres people in africa starving....etc. True.....you could say that but it doesnt feel like something Id choose to feel. Sadly I dont understand what goes on inside my head and what it means a lot of the time, who does? Im not a psychologist, sometimes I think I should be with the way I interpret and seem to analyse behavior and thoughts/opinions etc, other peoples and my own.

Sounds about right for 28 to me. Old enough to start realising that you most likely aren't going to redefine music and change the world - young enough to still feel you should.

A good friend of mine decided to become a professional musician at 40, he said that he'd been underpaid and miserable in his job most of his working life, so why not be underpaid and happy instead. He has no kids depending on him, so why not? Other people's expectations and opinions on your life are irrelevant (unless you are actively causing harm).

I'm not going to tell you to lighten up or take Prozac or whatever but I will say this (and this is from my own experience)...
So much pain comes from indecision, the only antidote is to commit to a path and follow it.

If you want a band, then find a bass player - if not then find something else to do. Make the choice. If you don't know how, use the internet - this is the most amazing age for freely accessible information. There are good musicians everywhere, seriously.

I'm not being harsh, this is how it is, wholeheartedly do what you are passionate about and you will find a way to get by. I genuinely wish you well you big miseryguts :)

moodyedge

Reaction score
you most likely aren't going to redefine music and change the world

:laugh2: nar thats not on any list of mine. Im under no illusion that being rich and famous makes you happy. Success in the eyes of the world is all about ego. Happiness based on what other people think of you is an illusion. Only the naive seem to fall for that one.

12watt

Reaction score
:laugh2: nar thats not on any list of mine. Im under no illusion that being rich and famous makes you happy. Success in the eyes of the world is all about ego. Happiness based on what other people think of you is an illusion. Only the naive seem to fall for that one.

I didn't say rich and famous, and, as you say, depending on external validation is a strong sign of emotional immaturity. I was talking more about a sense of achievement, a mark, a legacy, whatever you want to call it.

I suppose what I was on about in the rest comes down to this:
"The man who loves his job never works a day in his life".

Confucius said that 2,500 years ago.

Not sure what the hell this has to do with anything but as this thread has taken some turns already, so why not another.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I don't believe he's advocating prohibition, more a warning that some people can get tangled up in addiction from the outset. I don't have an axe to grind about anything addictive and certainly wouldn't advocate trying to legislate for the minority who are not able to handle them. Prohibition just makes the lifestyle more exotic to the naive and disenchanted.

People used to ask me why I couldn't just stop at x number and be happy, I didn't have an answer, I certainly didn't enjoy the repercussions. Every time I opened a bottle I believed that through force of will I could control the amount and outcome - but once the drink took effect, the rational thinker took a hike. For whatever reason, people don't seem wired the same with regard to drink, drugs, gambling etc.

Yeah, I should have worded that more artfully. I know he wasn't advocating total prohibition and should have acknowledged as much, thanks for the correction.

I understand what you're saying about the inability to stop once started. I think it has something to do with judgement being the first faculty impaired.

Thermionik

Banned
Reaction score
Phil said, quite rightly:-

"The London gig scene as I knew it back then is all but extinct these days.

In fact the music scene down these parts is probably more alive and healthy than in the London suburbs nowadays, simply because a lot of the old 60's musos got out and moved out."

And what did I bloody well do..... went north and east when they all went south and west.

D'Oh.....

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Phil I like you and Slacky. We all have a voice THANK GOD! SLACKY is a different beast. He is like Hunter S. I really don't think he has a drug problem. He is one of those WILD souls that thrives under pressure. KIDS YOU ARE NOT SLACKY>HE HAS YEARS OF EXPERIENCE> Phil if you help one kid THINK for a minute you did good. People ALL have death-wish. We can't help it. It is a shame there are SO many ways to fail. LIFE IS HARD! LIFE IS GOOD!
‪joe Walsh Lifes Been Good‬‏ - YouTube

Hi Tim,
well, if you can put it across to even one it's worth it.

A few years back an ex pupil asked me to go down and see his band who was in town at a gig.
My wife and I went down for an evening out and to enjoy seeing his band.
We arrived just before they were due to go on.
He saw us come in and waved from his table to come on over.
The first thing he said was.. 'Howz it going Phil, long time no see man' in a completely slurred voice. He was obviously totally out of it on something or another. Then the other band members swayed over, one nearly falling straight into the table. He'd got all the cliched rock lingo off. " Cosmic man, yeah I dig baby".:laugh2:
There were a few girls with them that also looked in a right state and my wife gave me one of those sideways glances that only wives can.

We had what chat we could under the circumstances and he said " See ya later man" as they all staggered off toward the stage.

Jesus Christ! what a f*cking mess the whole thing was. He used to be a nice little player but his solos were all over the place and out of time, The singer who turned out to be one of the girls sounded like a strangled chicken and the bass player was about a semitone out of tune. People in the audience were drifting away and hey finished the first set to a virtually empty venue save for some hard core head bangers who didn't know what day it was anyway.
We chatted some more, then I made an excuse about having to get back for our dogs which had been left all day, but was polite and congratulated him.

The frightening thing was that in their deluded haze, they actually thought they were good.
On the way home in the car, I said to my wife, who was gobsmacked by the whole event. " What a f*cking shame, you know that kid is only 23 and he nearly looks as old as me" :laugh2:

I don't know what he's doing these days,, but last I heard he was in hospital having his stomach pumped for an overdose of something or another.

Hey ho!..'Se la vie', as they say.

Blackie

Banned
Reaction score
Been to the States many times Slacky.. All over from East to west and from North to south.
I can't remember bumping into you on any of my visits however. I'm sure I would have remembered.
Unfortunately old chap there isn't a runway anywhere near me, unless you are thinking of arriving in a C-5 Galaxy, but you can get a train, bus and then a taxi connection if you ever happen to grace our shores.
Wonderful scenery you know and the sea air is embracing.
Not sure I'm good enough for round of golf though.

I apologize for being a jackass ...

John Vasco

I was with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What I draw from this thread is that:

1. Phil is giving a 'heads up' on what can happen to those who think the drug scene is glamorous.
2. Slacky is giving a 'heads up' from the perspective of someone who knows what can happen if the warnings are ignored.

I see both coming at the same subject from different angles, that's all.

Blackie

Banned
Reaction score

1. Phil is giving a 'heads up' on what can happen to those who think the drug scene is glamorous.
2. Slacky is giving a 'heads up' from the perspective of someone who knows what can happen if the warnings are ignored.

I did what ? .... oh shit I was in a blackout ...

Phil47uk

Reaction score

Well, nothing like coming at it from both perspectives.:laugh2:

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
Some of us are going to be fortunate enough to live through our dabbling, experimenting or full on drug and alcohol abuse...some of us aren't. Those that do survive might go on to try and impart some "wisdom" to those that come up after us. Some folks will take the advice to heart...many/most won't. Such is life. Don't get pissed if someone is trying to provide some helpful advice.

The drugs and alcohol can be fun, or they can kill you the first time you use them. Some people are going to get hooked on whatever it is they try the first time they try it...that seems to be the nature of the human being. Some folks will get lost in the bottle or the needle or the pills or the powder...it's always been that way and it's a shame. I've lost friends and I've destroyed some relationships...Thank God I never killed anybody else with my car or anything else.

I think it was Daniel earlier in the thread that made the point that some drugs have no redeeming qualities or any real reason to even try them...I believe that he's spot on.

Good luck out there.

Blackie

Banned
Reaction score
...KSG ... tell that story bout the tire that came off the car in front the donut shop ..

moodyedge

Reaction score
I didn't say rich and famous, and, as you say, depending on external validation is a strong sign of emotional immaturity. I was talking more about a sense of achievement, a mark, a legacy, whatever you want to call it.

I suppose what I was on about in the rest comes down to this:
"The man who loves his job never works a day in his life".

Confucius said that 2,500 years ago.

Not sure what the hell this has to do with anything but as this thread has taken some turns already, so why not another.

Wuurd :thumb:

Blackie

Banned
Reaction score
:laugh2::laugh2:Not in this thread...but I have a lot of stories about surviving my own drug and alcohol fueled stupidity. Like many folks here, I'm fortunate to be alive.

... OK ... but I ain't heard the words .... stoned immaculate ... since you and your buddy looked over at the tire rolling by .....

..Oh and of course the black dude that cracked you in the head with his hand gun in the grocery store ...

... You one lucky fu-ker ... and so am I .... and neither of us believes in luck.

Latest Threads