A Valve Amp HT Fuse Question?

joff

Reaction score
If a valve amp has a HT Fuse of 250 mA to be used stamped on the rear panel...is it OK to use an HT Fuse of 315 mA or maybe 500 mA instead if the 250mA HT Fuse blows every now and again? Could it damage an amp?

I have spoken to a couple of amp techs about this and one guy said that it would not matter at-all if you used a 500 mA HT Fuse and the other said he would recommend to only use what it says on the back of the amp.

Thanking you in advance! :)

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Only use a fuse of the rating and type specified on the amp.

Yes, it could cause damage to the amp. The damage could be just about anywhere.

Only use the fuse specified.

eddy999

Reaction score
Always wise to use the fuse specified by the manufacturer. There's always the chance that the manufacturer got the rating wrong however, and I have seen cases where they will revise the manuals at a later date to specify higher ratings. Less likely with the big players however.

Also check that you are using the correct type of fuse, i.e. quick or slow acting.. If you are using a quick acting fuse where a slow blow is specified then that could blow during short peaks of current which wouldn't blow the slow fuse.

Cygnus X1

Reaction score
Nothing more to add.
Eddy (Paul) is also right.

:D

joff

Reaction score
Thanks chaps...250 mA HT Fuse it is then! :)

V2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You should figure out why the recommended fuse is blowing. Don't replace with a different fuse that won't blow...