A unique opportunity found me the other day (Doyle Coil Tru-Clones PAF)

EnjoGuitar

Reaction score
I am not terribly keen on the nitty gritty of tech, history, components, etc. I am fairly naive and lack plenty of knowledge. Just about the only thing I have going for me is my ear. I say this because I wanna be fair to anyone who reads this that perhaps my opinion shouldn’t be meaningful. After all, you don’t know me, and we have different ears. Anyways!

I was spending some time with a friend the other day, and he needed to visit the guitar shop for a few things. Well lo and freaking behold, the owner had purchased an original ‘57 goldtop recently, and long story short, he put it in my lap to try.

I found myself in an interesting scenario. I had never played PAFs before, and a moment prior I was playing an R0. I cannot possibly describe how good the pickups in this goldtop sounded. I am aware that PAFs vary from set to set, but boy was this special. I cannot tell you if these pickups were a little hotter than average for a PAF or otherwise, but I can say that they had that ‘it’ factor, that’s for damn sure.

The pickups in the R0 were clear and responsive, too, but it was STILL a truly night and day difference. Prior to that moment, I had been aware of the fantasy and mythology surrounding PAFs. My skeptical mind had preregistered the opinion that PAFs ought to be great but probably not worth chasing to the extent they’re sought after. Well let the records show that I was wrong. They’re definitely special.

To be honest, I would have had no problem if the story ended there. I’m very grateful to have held and played that guitar, and I had no idea that that’s what I was gonna do when I walked into the guitar shop. I finished playing the goldtop and the owner was holding another LP. He said, “here, now play mine. I have these pickups from a guy called Tom Doyle who worked closely with Les Paul for decades. They sound pretty good.”

Do bear in mind that I had just had my mind blown by the difference between the $6,000 Gibson Custom Shop 1960 reissue and the $95,000 ‘real’ deal 1957 Les Paul Standard. When I plugged in his guitar, I must say I was impressed. It was infinitely closer to the PAFs than Gibson had gotten, and I don’t think this sentence will surprise many of you.

However, I would assume that between the $650 price tag for the Doyle Coils/wiring harness and the angle they take on their website that few of you care about these PAF-style pickups. Prior to that day in the shop, I sure as hell didn’t know and nor did I care. All I can say is, I spent only a few seconds in between those particular PAFs in that guitar and the Doyle Coil PAFs in the shop owner’s LP. Prior to my visit, I had not had my mind blown by the authentic sound of PAFs.

After hearing all of that in person, I decided to order a pair of Doyle’s pickups. I will let you all know how they hold up when inside a guitar. I’d also like to hear from any of you who have had the unique privilege of demoing PAFs next to any kind of clones, Doyle or otherwise.

Thanks.

Edit: My phone apparently didn’t register my click into the pickups subforum to post this thread. Sorry about that. If a moderator reads this and is able to move the thread to the appropriate spot, please do!

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey, its all about what the ear hears. Makes a lot of sense to me. let us how they work out for ya.

EnjoGuitar

Reaction score
hey, its all about what the ear hears. Makes a lot of sense to me. let us how they work out for ya.
Indeed, that’s certainly the most important part of it from my perspective. I just jammed on a Danelectro through a tiny Vox practice amp and loved every second of it, so I definitely don’t require every piece of everything I own to cost an arm and a leg to enjoy and express myself. But at the same time I’m definitely a sucker for those ‘special’ pieces of the puzzle.

kingsxman

Reaction score
Will be curious to hear how they sound in your guitar. What you were hearing in that 57 is a combination of the pickups, and old wood, etc. It;s not all just the pickups. So keep that in mind. You'd be surprised how much just changing pots to something closer to 550k will change the tone of a guitar.

Have been wanting to try a set of Doyles for awhile.

EnjoGuitar

Reaction score
Will be curious to hear how they sound in your guitar. What you were hearing in that 57 is a combination of the pickups, and old wood, etc. It;s not all just the pickups. So keep that in mind. You'd be surprised how much just changing pots to something closer to 550k will change the tone of a guitar.

Have been wanting to try a set of Doyles for awhile.
Of course. I’ll personally hold onto the pickups and try them anywhere I can until they’re the right fit for whatever instrument they’re meant to end up in, assuming they don’t feel right on attempt number one. I don’t currently own a Les Paul, and so I’m considering trying them in a Reverend Charger HB as well. Might wait instead, who knows.

EnjoGuitar

Reaction score
I actually just spoke to someone who works with them, and he could not have been a nicer, more pleasant guy to talk with. Very informative, as well. I can’t speak for anyone but myself, but I am 100% completely convinced as of the long conversation we held that these pickups are the real deal… and that my ears did not deceive me. I’m personally VERY excited to get the ones I ordered. As for them being closed, my timing was apparently serendipitous.

I can absolutely understand someone who is satisfied with less expensive alternatives avoiding these due to their price tag, but that of course comes down to someone’s preference on what to do with their money. I may be blindly following my ears, but I will definitely follow up with a report on how these turn out.

Latest Threads