A toast to man's best friend.

Phil47uk

Reaction score
With all the scum and parasites that are floating around these days breaking into properties and stealing things in general it's peace of mind living in the country with two big German Shepherds.
We haven't got guns over here in Blighty, but then nor does the average petty criminal, so that cancels itself out, but dogs go one better, as they let you know well in advance before anyone even gets near your property, let alone into it and also guard when you are not at home.
When I approach people with my two, they immediately clear a path, almost as if you had two crocodiles on a leash.:laugh2:
As one little shit said standing with his hoody pals on a street corner in a local town some years ago as I was walking by .. " Does it bite mate? " with a smirk on his face. I just stopped, looked him with a smile and said quitely ." Only when I tell him son" Boy! That soon wiped the silly smirk from his face.
Another guy jokingly said. "Wow ! You have some nice guitars Phil I'll have to come and unload you of a few one night".
" Wonderful" I replied. " I take it you like grapes?"
" Like grapes"? he said with a puzzled look on his face. " Why grapes?"
" Well that’s what you normally bring people in hospital isn't it, coz I'll be coming to visit you when you are having your arse sewn back on".
" My dogs have free run of the house day and night and you certainly wouldn't want a combination of about 2,000lb of bite locking on to your scrawny little derriere would you?"

A weird guy once passed our cottage whilst everyone was out except my wife. She took no notice until she went to the back door to put some rubbish out and saw him leering at her through the window. She just instinctively called our old male ( Now passed on ) Kaiser!!
Old Kaiser flew to her side, took one look at this guy and nearly broke the door off its hinges trying to get at him. My wife said she'd never seen someone run so fast up the road.
Another of my old bitches, also passed on saved my wife when a nutter tried to open her car door in a country lane when she was at a red light.
Old Maxie was asleep on the back seat and got up as he grabbed the door handle.. He made a quick exit too as she rocked the car trying to bite him.
Luckily I didn't happen to be there, coz I would have opened the door and told her to seize him as he was running. Either that or I would have run him down.:laugh2:
Yes, my Shepherds are expensive to keep, but boy are they worth every penny as friends and loyal family companions.

A toast to man's best friend...:dude:

Kaiser and Maxie. Now sadly departed from this world..
KaiserandMaxie.jpg

And my current two.

Django

VZQUO-DjangoL1.jpg

And Inka
Inka2.jpg

DajngoInka.jpg

I have some pics of our first German shepherd Max from way back , but I'll have to scan some old pics.
Boy! He was a bruiser. He would would sit in the garden with my daughter when she was small and if anyone came in the garden he would put himself between her and whoever it was.

I just hate losing them. On both ocassions with my old shepherds I have had to leave the room quickly to grab some kleenex when the vet had given them the final injection. They just looked at me lovingly with those big brown eyes and then they gently closed. ...God I just lost it,
Do men cry.. You bet they do..

BCRGreg

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My Lucy is my bestest buddy....

JucyBed2102109.jpg

Rightthere.jpg

She's the bomb.

MenaceMartin

Reaction score
Awesome dogs peeps! :D I am more of a cat lover, but to be totally honest, at some point in my life, i MUST get a Dachshund...

dachshund1.jpg

dachshund-12700.jpg_w450

I think they're so cute, with their big floppy ears, big eyes and short stubby paws.

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Awesome dogs peeps! :D I am more of a cat lover, but to be totally honest, at some point in my life, i MUST get a Dachshund...

dachshund1.jpg

dachshund-12700.jpg_w450

I think they're so cute, with their big floppy ears, big eyes and short stubby paws.

Yeah, funny little characters they are. I knew somebody in London many years ago who had two of them . Very friendly.
My wife also likes pugs, but I'm buggered if we can have yet another pet in the house. My daughter likes Rottweilers.:laugh2:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Looks like my Django, He sticks his head out of the car window just like this..
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfyQO0MX2QQ]YouTube - I am Legend German Shepherd Sam Video *HIM Join Me Audio*[/ame]

Kate033

Reaction score
Great post :thumb:
I love Shepards. Perfect combination of brains and brawn! Anyway, how often do you get to cuddle with something German? I think it takes the right type of person to handle a powerful breed like that, but they're gorgeous dogs!!

I don't know what we'd do without our boys, Jake and Riley. A good dog is more than just a pet...they're members of the family!

R8R6Ben

Reaction score
Tomorrow when I can get on our mac I'll put some pics of our four doxies up for Martin... make him start gassin for a new puppy. Word of advice, get a male. We have three females and one male and the girls are crazy lil things:p

upl8tr

Reaction score
Yer, dogs are cool and would definitely defend you to the death!

It’s not quite the same thing, but just last week I got one of those post cards from the post man saying we couldn’t deliver your parcel please come and collect it.

I went to the PO to collect it and the postie comes out from the back looks at the card and then says “oh-aye in know that one alright”.

I asked him what he meant by that, and he shows me his hand with a 2 inch scratch right down his finger, apparently my male cat took exception to him putting his hand through the letter box and had a go at him! LOL.

He said that it was really sore and that he had to speak nice to the cat through the letter box so that he would let him go!

The postie was really annoyed and grew more so, cause all me and my wife could do was laugh, however he ended up laughing himself and agreed that it is normally dogs that he worries about, but will be even more careful of cats in the future!
:laugh2:

blakem

Reaction score
my favorite dog is a german shepherd named Greta... my inlaws dog.. the best dog ever!

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Great post :thumb:
I love Shepards. Perfect combination of brains and brawn! Anyway, how often do you get to cuddle with something German? I think it takes the right type of person to handle a powerful breed like that, but they're gorgeous dogs!!

I don't know what we'd do without our boys, Jake and Riley. A good dog is more than just a pet...they're members of the family!

I agree, you have to be on top of them as a breed as they are so super smart.
My wife finds it hard to control our male and feels more comfortable taking the female for walks. Django actually took her off her feet once and she went down like a ton of bricks..I shouldn't laugh.. She bruised all her chin and didn't think it funny at all.
I will say that our male prefers men in as much as they play rough games with him like football and tug of war with his rope. If a woman takes the other end of the rope you can see that he doesn't put half the amount of power in pulling it as he does with a man and gets fed up easily.
The bitch isn't into tugging ropes, she likes to play with her ball catching it while it bounces.
Funnily the bitch takes more notice of my wife re commands and the dog of me. I can stop him in his tracks if he's off the leash and sees something, whereas I wouldn't trust the situation with my wife and him.. She'd get nervous..And he knows it..

Post some pics of your dogs Kate..:dude:

worn

Reaction score
My 11 year old Doberman Rottweiler X "Shadow", and 2 year old Doberman "Winnie".
Both are rescues, got each of them at about a year old. Winnie sat in a cage for her first year, no training and Shadow was beaten and underfed for her first year. Thanks to the SPCA and Doberman Rescue I've got 2 wonderful dogs, and no security worries!

Attachments

• P1050683.JPG
    P1050683.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 17
  • at the park.jpg
    at the park.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Shadow.jpg
    Shadow.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 101307016.jpg
    101307016.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 19

JNS

Reaction score
I had a Rottweiler growing up that was sweet as can be, but very protective, as most of them can be. Some of local degenerates used to cut through my neighbors yard and my mother warned them that would be the last time. Needless to say when you see a 100lb Rottie running full speed at you, you get the point fairly quickly! Lovely dogs everyone!

Rob S

Reaction score
My goodness, I will admit that Greg has really surprised me in a good way.

Greg, this is our Gang index
Hope you enjoy. :)

Nicky

On The Road Less Traveled
Reaction score
We have had Dachshunds for many years. They are just like family and always burrowed under the covers to sleep at night. I really miss our Lucy and Molly.

Not we're stuck with this sorry lot.
sofagirls.jpg

Penny, the goofy white border collie pit bull mix. She's a knuckle head. She was saved from drowning by firemen in Louisiana during the Katrina flood. We adopted her when she was brought to Texas.

Bella is our rat-on-a-rope: a Peek-a-Poo. Daughter #1 gave her to us when she moved to New York City for law school. We have a huge yard, and thought it would be cruel to keep a pup in a NYC apartment.

Moochie is our 3rd Dachshund. She earned her name! Unfortunately, she has kidney disease and has only a few more months with us. She's 12 years old. That will be a sad day, but we are making her comfortable (and giving her ham and cheese sammiches!).

mono

Reaction score
Lovely dogs Phil.

I've got a Doberman called Django. He's a massive young pup and I wouldn't want to see him take on a human because it would probably lead to him being put down :(

Hemply

Reaction score
Agree! German Shepard's are one trustworthy and loving breed, the loyalty is astounding and unmatched!

The HempMutt was exactly that "a mutt", he was half German Shepard and half Doberman, quite a combination!:laugh2:

Once during a hike in the woods not far from here with the HempMutt and then HempBird I decided to do what comes best while out in nature. The then HempBird and I took advantage of a fallen tree... During the festivities I looked up and saw a Buck with a full rack about 25 yards away spying on old Hemp in mid Hump!:shock: The HempMutt caught the Buck too and took after him like lightening!!! This is when my instinct took over and I leaped mid-hump into action going after the HempMutt worried he might have met his match against those antlers!

A real site old Hemp running through the woods while trying to pull his pants up, yelling the command to STOP! Damned dog stopped right where he heard the command!:laugh2:

Not only was he the best companion I've ever know but an excellent protector! Even toward the end of his time when his body was no longer able to match his heart the loyalty never wavered. When he could no longer manage the stairs I would carry him every night to bed because that was his place.... by my side.

They are certainly high maintenance but what is given in return is immeasurable. I've yet to find another one but when I do I'm sure he will be a German Shepard!:thumb:

The HempMutt

CopyofP1010043.jpg

Always by my side and always will. :)

ext1jdh

Reaction score
my Sunny back when we got her. She was a very skinny at the time, only 17 lbs. Small for a Russian Spaniel.

30207_451108344128_502959128_5683074_6505537_n.jpg

more recently at the park

31365_455106429128_502959128_5769454_2247121_n.jpg

jomo

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Old Coopers the best. This is id 3rd b-day party....

26395_10150158138535370_689595369_11592525_7726145_n.jpg

Latest Threads